General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couple of things about Fergie.

Once at a presser, a guy said that he is dominant and takes no prisoners so in that respect he is the Margaret Thatcher of football.  Fergie looked even more thunderous than ever and said very sternly "Don't EVER compare me to that woman"

My mate interviewed him and he played me the tape (twas the 90s when he interviewed him), and at the end of the interview my mate said "I know it's cheeky but my daughter is off school sick, she's a big Man Utd fan so could you possibly say get well soon"?  Fergie asked her name and instead of saying get well soon, he said "Rebecca, your father tells me that you aren't well, I hope you get better and come along to support us like you do, get well soon and thanks for all of your support"

He didn't have to do that, but he did.  I remember him writing to the families of fans who died very young in a very personal, sincere and dignified manner.  Here's hoping we aren't sharing these stories during his last few days.

• Paid Members

Fergie's a great union man, too. My mum used to be the head of legal for a major trade union, and the League Managers' Association (the UK's smallest union, only 92 members) fell under her purview. She attended a number of conferences with the LMA, at each of which Ferguson tended to drive issues. He was a big supporter of Dalglish and Graham in their contract cases, and was known to be an excellent mentor to the younger managers as regards their employment rights in addition to their careers.

(She also met Allardyce, whose case she and her colleague had worked on, winning him compensation against one of his previous clubs. He was an absolute shit to her and the colleague, really rude and obnoxious. Apparently he's not popular in the business, and I'm not surprised.)

• Paid Members

Hats off to Cardiff on promotion. Know people on here generally can't stand Warnock, but I think he's done a phenomenal job to get them up. Has to be one of the worst sides to get automatic promotion from the Championship in a long, long time. A load of journeymen and a side that really ought to have been mid table.

• Paid Members

Unless there's some very good signings, they've got to be favourites to go back down. Other than Aston Villa, who must have an average age of 83, the other teams in the play-off places look better value for Premier League survival next season.

• Paid Members

Well, Barnsley have dropped to League One again. It's no surprise as it was one of the worst sides I've ever seen wear the shirt, and you can't sell almost an entire team that was pushing for the playoffs in January '17 just to make a profit and expect to be successful. 

Doesn't make it any easier to take though. I was already struggling with my depression and this relegation feels like i'm being kicked when I'm already down!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

Unless there's some very good signings, they've got to be favourites to go back down. Other than Aston Villa, who must have an average age of 83, the other teams in the play-off places look better value for Premier League survival next season.

Totally agree, although it's absolutely nailed on that they'll take three points off your lot.

7 hours ago, Gus Mears said:

Hats off to Cardiff on promotion. Know people on here generally can't stand Warnock, but I think he's done a phenomenal job to get them up. Has to be one of the worst sides to get automatic promotion from the Championship in a long, long time. A load of journeymen and a side that really ought to have been mid table.

I hate Warnock but fuck me, there's no denying this as an achievement. Gary fucking Madine is now a Premier League player.

Archived