General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Just remember Big Sam was in no way Everton's first choice, wasn't even second choice.

They didn't want that level headed Brit who'll keep them up and make them stable.

They went for younger Portuguese coaches, one turned them down and the other the current club weren't having any of it.

How Big Sam fits into that mantra I have no idea, it reaks of desperation as the drop looms closer. But it means Sam is back in the Prem so we should rejoice in full spirits.

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
5 hours ago, Ralphy said:

also, due to FFP, as far as i am aware, we cannot make anymore signings without players going out first, so the January window will be interesting

How on earth have Albion gone over FFP?

• Paid Members

Just from TV rights and Prem position you made 120 million or there abouts.

You bought Burke for approx 15 million on a 5 year contract meaning you show 3 million of transfer fees a year. Rodriguez for 12 mil on 4 year so again around about 3 mill a season.

You'd be well in line with FFP. Someone's having you on sbout where Albion's money is going!

• Paid Members

Watched MOTD without knowing the results last night. A simple but beautiful pleasure. Took me back to when I was a kid. If City were away, I'd listen to the radio all afternoon so would know the scores but if we were at home, I'd always try and avoid the scores to watch MOTD unspoiled. Most weeks the urge to go buy a Green Mail or check teletext would overcome me but sometimes I'd make it. Then there was the avoiding the whole "if you don't want to know the results look away now" conundrum that they'd put you through right before the bastard show! Making it through that was a delight.

I remember one night staying at my Nans. I used to kip on the sofa so I could watch TV but I had to keep the volume low and if I went to the bog or to hunt for a snack, I'd always mute the TV. I can see vividly in my mind one time that I went to get my favourite MOTD snack (Corn flakes FTW) only to walk back into the living room to the muted TV proudly displaying all the "Premiership" scores. Fuck, fuck. fuck.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

Watched MOTD without knowing the results last night. A simple but beautiful pleasure. Took me back to when I was a kid. If City were away, I'd listen to the radio all afternoon so would know the scores but if we were at home, I'd always try and avoid the scores to watch MOTD unspoiled. Most weeks the urge to go buy a Green Mail or check teletext would overcome me but sometimes I'd make it. Then there was the avoiding the whole "if you don't want to know the results look away now" conundrum that they'd put you through right before the bastard show! Making it through that was a delight.

I remember one night staying at my Nans. I used to kip on the sofa so I could watch TV but I had to keep the volume low and if I went to the bog or to hunt for a snack, I'd always mute the TV. I can see vividly in my mind one time that I went to get my favourite MOTD snack (Corn flakes FTW) only to walk back into the living room to the muted TV proudly displaying all the "Premiership" scores. Fuck, fuck. fuck.

I did exactly the same last night, for the first time in years. Must agree it makes the show much, much better...

I've got to say that, despite not being his biggest fan in the past, Sterling is starting to live up to his potential and more. If he can keep this form up and transfer it into an England shirt then we may just have another (close to) world class player in the summer. 

Also impressed with Jordan Pickford last night. It just showed how far ahead of Joe Hart he should be in the England pecking order.

Another quick question for the Everton fans on here; How is Mason Holgate doing these days? I remember him making his debut for Barnsley and looked like he had the potential to match John Stones progress.

• Paid Members

Holgate is a very hard player to judge. He can have 50% of a game - usually at the start - where he looks ludicrously composed and absolutely flawless, and then he'll turn into Gary Caldwell by way of Tony Hibbert, forget he actually needs to put one foot in front of the other when running, and then his confidence goes and you spend the rest of the game with your hands over your eyes every time the ball comes near him.
Apparently - and I have this on good grounds - the wee lad is an arrogant, entitled prick and thinks he's better than he actually is, but I pay no heed to that mentality these days, as a vast majority of young ballers think that about themselves...

On another note, Rooney's goal absolutely took the piss. Was fucking outrageous. The technique nearly made me cry...

• Paid Members

Pickford has to be the number one going into the WC if he continues his current form for the rest of the season. I'm not as harsh on Hart as many. I think he was left exposed by a horrendous defence for the first goal last night and beaten by a moment of brilliance for Rooney's third. It's clear that Pickford has usurped him though.

I can't see Sterling having the same impact for England as he is for Man City. I don't see the players in the England squad who'll make the space and pick the passes to take advantage of him.

• Paid Members

Sam will be able to keep Everton up. I still feel like he has something to prove rather than his just being that long-ball merchant who'll keep you comfortably mid-table and maybe with Everton's board somewhere behind him he's going to either back up his "I can do the job at a big club" claim from years ago, or it's finally going to be exposed as Big Sam talking himself up.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Holgate is a very hard player to judge. He can have 50% of a game - usually at the start - where he looks ludicrously composed and absolutely flawless, and then he'll turn into Gary Caldwell by way of Tony Hibbert, forget he actually needs to put one foot in front of the other when running, and then his confidence goes and you spend the rest of the game with your hands over your eyes every time the ball comes near him.
Apparently - and I have this on good grounds - the wee lad is an arrogant, entitled prick and thinks he's better than he actually is, but I pay no heed to that mentality these days, as a vast majority of young ballers are...

I think there is a lot of truth in this, from talking to people who worked with him at the academy at Oakwell. Apparently he was a lovely lad who despite being full of confidence in his ability was grounded and realised how much hard work he needed to put in to make it. Then after playing one of his first games he got an agent who constantly told him he was the second coming of Bobby Moore and was slumming it at Barnsley and should force a move, which he did(upsetting a lot of people who helped him develop). The difference of how he left and how Stones left is a wold apart. Stones insisted on signing a new contract, even though he knew he was moving on so the club would get the maximum transfer fee for him. They even ended up naming the academy gym after him, where as Holgate basically went on strike and forced the club to accept a low offer

8 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Pickford has to be the number one going into the WC if he continues his current form for the rest of the season. I'm not as harsh on Hart as many. I think he was left exposed by a horrendous defence for the first goal last night and beaten by a moment of brilliance for Rooney's third. It's clear that Pickford has usurped him though.

I think with Pickford and Butland, the England goalkeeping position is sorted for the foreseeable future(if Butland can stay injury free, that is).

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Did anyone else read this post with the old Hovis ad music playing in their head?

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Did anyone else read this post with the old Hovis ad music playing in their head?

That's best saved for Sunday's when Granny made us lard butties after our fortnightly wash in the tin bath in't garden and then we all watched Heartbeat on't portable.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Guy Bifkin said:

Rooney's goal was beautiful....sublime technique but I prefer the Raheem Sterling team goal from earlier in the season.

Fat Sam has worked his magic already. I really hope West Ham go down.

I really hope West Ham go down as well. The only problem is that as a Millwall fan I know that if we have to play them in 2018-19 then we are getting fined and points deductions because there is no way 2 games between us and them go off without it all going off. Met Police will be hoping Millwall are also relegated. 

Archived