General Adnan's Football 17/18

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I suggested Viera to a mate a few months back who's a huge Arsenal fan and while the sentiment is there, coaching City's youth and New York really doesn't scream ready for a big job. But then again Pep didn't do much before Barcelona but a youth team. Maybe the sentimental value will help steady Arsenal supporters for a year or two at least? 

• Replies 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator
27 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Do you see Rodgers sorting out the issues Arsenal have had for most of the past decade? I think he's a good manager, even if he is a walking cliche, but he's had a lot of the same flaws. Arsenal need someone who knows how to set a team up to be well balanced, to win bac the ball as well as keep it and to be hard to break down without the ball. That was his undoing at Liverpool.

Spot on. The title was there for the taking in 2014 and all he had to do was set the team up for a draw against Chelsea. Instead, he stuck to what he knew - go for the throat. Mourinho knew how to approach that match and pulled Liverpool's undies down. While that Liverpool team was a joy to watch as a neutral in other matches, when the title's in reach you need a plan B, and one the right team/formation can deliver. I don't think anyone knows if he's learned from that, as he's not exactly going to be in the same situation north of the border.

I'm genuinely intrigued how they'll approach this. Go for a (relatively) unknown who could be there for the long-term as they did with Wenger, or given they need some stability, get an old hand in to do that for a season or two whilst they see who the long-term option may be. If it's the latter then Ancelotti is the man for the job.

Roberto Martinez has been floated and is at 25s. He'd be the absolute opposite of what they need right now, so for Punky and SJ's sanity, I hope he doesn't become an actual possibility.

26 minutes ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Roberto Martinez has been floated and is at 25s. He'd be the absolute opposite of what they need right now, so for Punky and SJ's sanity, I hope he doesn't become an actual possibility.

Roberto Martinez finished lower than the previous year in each of his Premiership seasons at Wigan, culminating in relegation. He finished 5th in his first year at Everton and 11th the year after. We were twelfth when he was sacked with one game of his third year to go. The graph only trends down with Roberto.

He would be a barmy appointment for Arsenal.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Shy Dad said:

I suggested Viera to a mate a few months back who's a huge Arsenal fan and while the sentiment is there, coaching City's youth and New York really doesn't scream ready for a big job. But then again Pep didn't do much before Barcelona but a youth team. Maybe the sentimental value will help steady Arsenal supporters for a year or two at least? 

That's an interesting conversation I was having with my United-supporting friend earlier. He thinks it will be Vieira, I don't think he has the experience yet. He cited Zidane and Guardiola as examples, I countered that their club was in a much stronger position than we are right now (and managing the youth/B teams for those clubs beforehand, as Pep and Zizou both did, will help their transition significantly). He then claimed that United might not have struggled over the past few years had they replaced Fergie with Giggs (!).

I love the idea of having an 'Arsenal guy' as the manager, however I think they still need more/better experience than the candidates available in that sense. Vieira has spent time with City's academy (which is a very impressive academy, I might add) and has a job in the same league where Steve Nicol managed for more than 10 years. Arteta has been learning from Pep as his assistant, but he hasn't been there long enough. Henry has been working alongside Martinez, so he's probably a shit manager now by association. Bergkamp wasn't considered a successful member of the Ajax coaching staff. Gio van Bronckhorst wasn't really an Arsenal guy, we sent him packing in favour of playing Cuntley Cunt instead.

It has to be Sol.

• Paid Members

I think Rodgers at Arsenal would be brilliant. I don't think he's capable of returning them to former glories at all so it's an appointment I can get behind.

EDIT: Or, fuck yes, Sol Campbell. Why? Because he's Sol Campbell, obviously.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Just heard on 5Live that all the newspaper journalists have been called for a press conference at 5pm. Could Arsenal be announcing a successor to Wenger on the same day he has said he is leaving? 

That seems far too organised for us. The presser was basically Gazidis saying nothing we didn't already know. He did outline three values when searching for a new coach:

-progressive, exciting football
-good representative of the club
-integration of young players

Jardim?

Edit: OH SHIT IT COULD BE BRENDAN

Archived