It's today then ... (Trump thread)

mikehoncho

• Paid Members

I think it's hilarious that he's said or at least been quoted as saying something along the line of he's going to stick to office hours during his presidency. If Putin hears that you know he's going to be sticking calls in at 4.55pm and keeping him talking just to wind him. I'm just waiting until he pisses China off. There's a sleeping giant he needs to be careful of prodding.

• Paid Members

I'm just waiting until he pisses China off. There's a sleeping giant he needs to be careful of prodding.

I look forward to a CNN interview where he claims there was a perfectly square piece of dirt on the Whitehouse window.

• Paid Members

So it turns out that nobody from any of the countries on Trumps 'banned list' has ever committed a terrorist act on US soil, but people from Saudi Arabia & the UAE (where the 9/11 hijackers were from) are still cool to enter? Also, the American taxpayer is going to pay for the wall, Mexico have stated again today (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38753826) that they're not paying & given Trump famously doesn't pay tax he's not even included in those footing the bill?

At what point do Trump supporters realise the emperor is actually naked?

He has no conscience or regard for other human beings. We know that much.

He's driven by ego, money, and power. We know that much.

He adheres to the policy "If you're going to tell a lie, tell a big one. People are more likely to believe you."

We know that much.

So with his inflated opinion of his own wisdom and judgement, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he's looked at Mein Kampf and thought, "World domination? Why not? I'm smart enough to get it right this time."

Just been reading about his stance on Torture methods in interrogations. What is this guy on?

I might be wrong, but isn't the majority of any information gained from torturing people false? As they are saying anything they think you'd want to hear to stop hurting them? 

• Awards Moderator

Just been reading about his stance on Torture methods in interrogations. What is this guy on?

I might be wrong, but isn't the majority of any information gained from torturing people false? As they are saying anything they think you'd want to hear to stop hurting them?

I'd say they offer alternative facts.

• Paid Members

Trump, on a speech he gave at the CIA, reading like a Daily Mash piece:

That location was given to me. Mike Pence went up before me, paid great homage to the wall. I then went up, paid great homage to the wall. I then spoke to the crowd. I got a standing ovation. In fact, they said it was the biggest standing ovation since Peyton Manning had won the Super Bowl and they said it was equal. I got a standing ovation. It lasted for a long period of time. What you do is take -- take out your tape -- you probably ran it live. I know when I do good speeches. I know when I do bad speeches. That speech was a total home run. They loved it.

Actually, the whole ABC transcript is tremendously amusing, if it didn't happen to actually be real life: http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/transcript-abc-news-anchor-david-muir-interviews-president/story?id=45047602 

• Paid Members

As good a place as any to plop this in:

Watched it and cried. Went to bed then and kept shaking the bed laughing, so the missus said “Ah for fucks sakes, get out! GET OUT! Between this and that fucking tourettes documentary! GET OUT!!” so I was banished to the sofa until I stopped. It’s the Hilary Clinton bit that rinsed me altogether.

• Paid Members

I then spoke to the crowd. I got a standing ovation. In fact, they said it was the biggest standing ovation since Peyton Manning had won the Super Bowl and they said it was equal. I got a standing ovation. It lasted for a long period of time.

Who actually says shit like this? He doesn't posses a single ounce of humility. Imagine Obama, Clinton or the Bushes saying anything along these lines, something that comes across as so desperate? Of course not.

• Paid Members

As good a place as any to plop this in:

Watched it and cried. Went to bed then and kept shaking the bed laughing, so the missus said “Ah for fucks sakes, get out! GET OUT! Between this and that fucking tourettes documentary! GET OUT!!” so I was banished to the sofa until I stopped. It’s the Hilary Clinton bit that rinsed me altogether.

I love the Bad Lip Reading series. Their Walking Dead stuff slew me.

• Paid Members

Well, let's see. So far:

He's signed executive orders to begin repealing Obamacare and to build a Game of Thrones style wall across the US southern border. He has expressed his keen interest in the re-introduction of CIA black sites and torture. He has called the news media a bunch of cunts on a number of occasions. What am I missing?

• Paid Members

Jiggy jar jar do...

Derderder der-der... Carl Poppa

One thing that can be said about this poisonous political atmosphere is that it's providing fertile ground for commentary. I read some articles recently that some on here might find interesting.

From the Asia Times:

‘US princelings profit from political links just like China’ 

Trump's son-in-law, who has is named senior White House advisor to incoming president, is involved in property deals with China's Anbang Insurance

January 10, 2017

The Chinese business elite’s close ties with the top leaders of the Communist Party of China is an open secret. Now, is the White House playing the same game of crony capitalism?

Donald Trump’s son-in-law, Jared Kushner, has just been appointed as senior advisor to the incoming president while he at the same time is tangled up in business deals with one of China’s most shadowy businessmen.

The 36-year-old, heir to his family’s privately held multibillion-dollar real estate firm Kushner Companies, has been working for several months on a Manhattan property deal with Chinese investment giant Anbang Insurance. Kushner has met with its chairman Wu Xiaohui after the presidential election, The New York Times exposed during the weekend.

Anbang first came to global fame when it bought New York’s legendary Waldorf Astoria hotel in 2014 for almost US$2 billion. Wu, on the other hand, has been walking in the shadows and has never given a single press conference. Anbang, founded in 2004 and today one of the country’s most influential companies, is also being described as having close ties to the Communist Party and an impressive list of politically connected directors.
The negotiations between Kushner and Wu are reportedly about Anbang’s investment in the redevelopment of 666 Fifth Avenue, which the Times calls “the fading crown jewel of the Kushner family real-estate empire.” It writes:

“On the night of Nov. 16, a group of executives gathered in a private dining room of the restaurant La Chine at the Waldorf Astoria hotel in Midtown Manhattan. The table was laden with Chinese delicacies and $2,100 bottles of Château Lafite Rothschild. At one end sat Wu Xiaohui, the chairman of the Waldorf’s owner, Anbang Insurance Group, a Chinese financial behemoth with estimated assets of $285 billion and an ownership structure shrouded in mystery. Close by sat Jared Kushner, a major New York real estate investor whose father-in-law, Donald J. Trump, had just been elected president of the United States.”

During the meeting, Wu expressed his desire to meet with the president-elect. The report also described how Kushner has emerged as an important figure for some of America’s most complicated diplomatic relationships, including with China.

This week it emerged that Kushner, who is married to Trump’s daughter Ivanka, will become a senior White House advisor working on trade and the Middle East.

It’s a rare case of a close presidential family member taking a major job, and was labeled by Norman Eisen, who served as President Barack Obama’s government ethics lawyer, as a “murky legal landscape” when it came to the anti-nepotism law. “The Donald Trump administration may show the world that America can do princelings profiting from political connections at least as well as China can,” commented Bill Bishop, a Washington-based expert on Chinese business and author of the influential Sinocism China Newsletter. Beijing must be confused by the mixed signals coming from Trump world. On the one hand, there are threats of sanctions and a trade war … On the other hand, his son-in-law and top advisor is reliant on Chinese investors. “Beijing must be confused by the mixed signals coming from Trump world. On the one hand, there are threats of sanctions and a trade war, and several personnel appointments to make those threats look real. On the other hand, his son-in-law and top advisor is reliant on Chinese investors and still negotiating deals with them since the election.”

Reuters said Kushner would resign from his positions as chief executive of the Kushner Companies and as publisher of the New York Observer newspaper, as well as divest from any interests in the New York Observer, Thrive Capital, the 666 Fifth Avenue office building in midtown Manhattan and any foreign investments.

The Times article, however, highlighted the “ethical thicket he would have to navigate while advising his father-in-law on policy that could affect his bottom line.”

Founded in 2004, Anbang Insurance Group has grown rapidly and has total assets exceeding 800 billion yuan (US$115 billion), according to its website. Its ownership structure is however foggy. Wu does not appear in Anbang’s filings as an owner, but The New York Times said in September that a number of the company’s shareholders are relatives and acquaintances of the chairman.

Wu Xiaohui is considered to have substantial political ties, and is married to the granddaughter of Deng Xiaoping, China’s former de facto leader. He also has close links to Chen Xiaolu, son of Chen Yi, a top military commander under Mao Zedong.

“In many ways, Anbang and Mr Wu appear to be archetypal products of China’s mix of freewheeling capitalism and Communist Party dominance, a formula that has fueled nearly four decades of untrammeled growth,” the Times said.

If the true ownership of Anbang is unknown, who was Trump’s son-in-law and senior advisor actually trying to strike a deal with?

Well, let's see. So far:

He's signed executive orders to begin repealing Obamacare and to build a Game of Thrones style wall across the US southern border. He has expressed his keen interest in the re-introduction of CIA black sites and torture. He has called the news media a bunch of cunts on a number of occasions. What am I missing?

He's also signed an executive order completely withdrawing US funding to abortion clinics across the entire world.

Edited by Carbomb

• Moderators

It's more than that. It's US funding to any health programmes that include an abortion component. Not just abortion clinics.

Also, pipeline, social media blackout for govt agencies.. Etc, etc. I think Nonce covered most of it already but it's kinda hard to keep up at this point.

Edited by Chest Rockwell