2017 Clog-Popping Thread

Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Wrote a few songs for the Vangelis (him in the avatar there. To the left) soundtrack to "Blade Runner" supposedly too.

When I read that I wondered if it was "One More Kiss, Dear" as that's in his style. Just Googled it and it was!

Extra coolness points for everyone.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Well that's an absolute kick in the nuts.

What a fantastic collection of characters he's left behind. Often imitated, readily quotable, and the better ones were the ones who were nobheads, that you couldn't help but like regardless.

• Paid Members

Honestly so upset by this news, so many of his films were such a big part of my youth and I watched so many of them when I was getting more and more into cinema. He was one of the most prominent faces of that time. And he was in so many really good little films as well as the obvious huge ones we all know him for.

I just rewatched One False Move a couple of weeks ago and he's just brilliant in it. I had A Simple Plan queued up for tonight as well. Really given me a kick, this one.

• Paid Members

I'm gutted about this. Like Devon says, he was one of the faces of 80s and 90s cinema. Frailty was on sky a few months ago and was a cracking directorial debut ( and performance) from him. Might give that and Near Dark a double bill watch tonight :(

• Paid Members

Bill Paxton seemed to be in everything in the 80s. Always nice when a familiar face turned up. RIP. 61 is too young. Sad news.

ADDED: He started with very small parts like "Clyde the Bartender" in "Streets of Fire" and the punk from "The Terminator" then worked himself up.

Properly gutted about Bill Paxton. Always seemed to play great, enjoyable and importantly memorable characters and is generally one of my favourite bits of any movie he's in. Watched True Lies on Saturday with my 8 year old and he steals every scene he's in. Going to watch Aliens tonight methinks. R.I.P.

• Paid Members

Absolutely devastated. Mates were tagging me all over Facebook yesterday over this. My favourite actor of all time and indirectly the only person on the planet who could cheer me up when I’m down, every time, without fail, by way of Chet.

Such was my love for Paxton since childhood, I sold all of my C64 cartridges so I could buy a Streets of Fire on video to complete my Paxton collection, and following that, my da brought me to see One False Move in the Adelphi for my 13th birthday.

I always listen to the Aliens commentary going to sleep but won’t be able to listen to that anymore because I’d find it too morbid and my pots would be gone trying to sleep when confronted with my own mortality. Same way I won’t listen to the Bad News Allen shoot (which is my favourite shoot ever) again.

Ah, this one has hit me bad. I don’t know where to start with what movies/performances to watch but by fuck, I’m going through his whole catalogue.

Archived