UFC 207: Nunes vs Rousey

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amanda Nunes was so respectful until her interview after the match, I wonder if Ronda has said anything to her. Nunes absolutely schooled her though, she was like a jobber in there.

Cody was unbelievable too, played Cruz at his own game and deserved the win.

Dana best hand over a blank cheque to McGregor and let him fill in the figure. Ronda was buried there. I very much doubt we will be seeing her again after that, at least for a long while. It was shades of Brock's downfall in 2010, with the back to back crushing defeats. If she does come back, she will have to re-invent her game entirely. Nunes lit her up with little bother there, and her striking has been exposed. In retrospect, she probably should have sent Edmund to the dole queue after the Holm fight. 

Cody vs Cruz's scorecard was made to look closer than what it was by the actual scoring system. Cody clearly won round 1, 3 and 4, with round 2 being close. Cruz won round 5. but dominated nowhere near like Cody did in rounds 3 and 4. There was no debate when the final bell went. I don't really like him personally, but Cody was superb tonight. 

• Paid Members

I said all along that I had a bad feeling about this and it was mostly because of all the red flags that she wasn't mentally right. She went into hiding after the Holm loss, then when she did decide to come back she kept Edmond around, then the utterly bizarre media blackout. The whole thing just felt like bad news from the off.

The sad thing is though, Nunes will still be overshadowed after this. She's the champion and has just ran through Miesha Tate and Ronda Rousey back to back with ease. But the Rousey talk is still going to dominate everything.

I agree Jim, this reminded me so much of Lesnar's loss to Overeem. From how the fight played out to the feeling that the ride was over right down to the show being on a Friday. Without checking, I'm sure Lesnar's loss to Overeem was Dec 30th as well. Five years to the day! I didn't notice but I bet Dana did 'the face' again as well.

Can't be arsed to go into anything else. Cody vs Cruz was nuts.

• Paid Members

I imagined she'd get destroyed. The eye of the tiger has gone, brother. My question is, is she still worth the million dollar payday Vince wanted to give her to do a tag match with the Rock and HHH and Stephanie? Is she still worth it?

Anyone see the video with the audio from Ronda's camp? Edmund shouting "head movement, clinch, please, no no no no no!" Its quite funny and fascinating.

Ronda made the exact same money Conor did at UFC 202, this isn't a sport were just being a champion means you should be making the same as the person who is bringing in the money, most people were interested in Rousey before the fight, not Nunes and even if they pushed her harder it would be the same and Johny Hendricks pay out is irrelevant as he fights in a more established weight class and was champion not long ago and is probably still on the contract he signed as champion.

Anyway to the fights, Gambrandt looked really good Cruz maybe won two close rounds but Cody won dominated the rounds he won I thought. I underestimated him but it seemed Cruz looked more angry than Cody, I thought Gambrandt would come out swinging but he stayed composed the full fight.

Ronda got smashed no other way to sugar coat it, Amanda Nunes looked great again I see her beating Shevchenko again or Juliana Pena, I don't know who is next after that but she's approved a lot since going to ATT.

Ronda is not a good actress but she might make a living doing low budget films like Gina Carano (also not a good actress) is, Stephanie McMahon was saying they would want her even if she lost, maybe she signs a Brock type contract and does a bit of wrestling training to get ready for PPV matches.

R:E - The Edmund video. I thought it was a parody at first - https://streamable.com/vcdm6

The sad thing is though, Nunes will still be overshadowed after this. She's the champion and has just ran through Miesha Tate and Ronda Rousey back to back with ease. But the Rousey talk is still going to dominate everything.

If circumstances were different, she would be a strong contender for FOTY. She has a claim to be mentioned in the shortlist as it is. She the two biggest names in her weight class in a combined time of just over 4 minutes. 

Edit: Cory also deserves to be acknowledged in a similar vein. 

Garbrandt also believes he's the 2016 FOY. 4-0. 3 1st round finishes. Beat the greatest 135er ever. Quite the year.

Chuffed for Nunes, zero hype on her coming into this fight but she's made herself a star with that performance. Had a huge grin on my face when she started to "sh" everyone - it felt justified. No idea what Ronda's gameplan was. Watching that video of Edmund (fucking hilarious, mind) it seems though her objective was to try and box with Nunes, which is completely mental. She was exposed good and proper against Holm and in the year off she's made zero improvements. I don't think she landed a single, solitary strike. Can't see any way back for her now, in the short-term at least. The division has seemingly passed her by, and if she's churning out performances like that then there's no reason as to why anyone with a decent striking background couldn't beat her.

That final shot from Nunes, where Rousey rebounded off the cage straight into a beauty of a right hook is immense, sensational combination.

That Edmund video, my goodness. In-fucking-credible. In what universe are people considering him an elite coach?

"HEADMOVEMENTHEADMOVEMENTHEADMOVEMENTHEADMOVEMENTHEADMOVEMENT"

*dickhead in the background* "don't worry she'll fade!"

*Ronda gets cracked with some shots*

"CATCH HER! CATCH HER! CATCH HER!"

*Ronda tries to clinch, gets shrugged off and cracked again"

"HEAD MOVEMENT, GOOD JOB!!!"

What a work of art. Even in last moments of the fight, where Ronda is taking an utter beating, his only advice is to "CLEEEENCH"

• Paid Members

There is so much wrong with that main event. First off, Nunes did everything right and it felt like she didn't have to break a sweat doing it. However, as we've all talked about before this, the UFC haven't half buggered up not putting more hype into Nunes pre-fight. It's the worst case scenario with the no press bollocks.

Anyway, I thought the fight was another damning chapter of the Edmond legacy. Rousey clearly worked her arse off to get in great shape, but she's still made almost no improvements with her movement. The Lesnar comparison is definitely on the money. I think everyone was hoping Rousey would listen to her Mum and realise Edmond is a bit shit. It all culminated in that. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but I thought sense would prevail and Rousey would work hard with new striking coaches, but she's ignored every bit of criticism. We all knew Judo Gene was the real brains behind her success.

Pleased for Nunes, she's apparently as nice a person as she comes across in the media. Being a Rousey fan, it was devastating. I'm almost pleased now the hype was downplayed somewhat.

You can't mess with a man that goes full babyface with the cancer kid walkout. I was on Team Garbrandt the second Goldberg finished telling the story. What an incredible performance. Cruz had almost nothing for Garbrandt.

Anyway,

conor-850x560.jpg

Maybe best for Dana and Ari to jump on that plane to Ireland. What a year for that man.

Edit:

Nunes post-fight press conference comments are great. She's not wrong.

"I knew [Rousey] was going to to strike with me, because she thinks it because her boxing coach told her she has good striking," Nunes said. "I knew she was going to strike a little bit with me, but when I started to connect with some punches I knew she would want to start to clinch with me."

Nunes said that Rousey's coaching staff had essentially deluded her into thinking she was something she was not.

"Yeah, because she thinks that she's a boxer, you know?" she said. "He like put this thing in her head and make the girl believe in that. I don't know why he did that. She have great judo, and she can go far in this division, but he put some crazy thing about boxing, and her career started to go down. And if I win that, I am the real striker. This is the only thing I wanted to look at him, to say it."

• Paid Members

Well Ronda was a fucking shambles and without jumping on the bandwagon, Edmund is a disaster for her.

Being a year away you would hope they would go back to basics and focus on what made her so great, her Judo. However she needed to add a few things to her game with level changes being an essential addition yet she came out with obviously nothing new and made it an easy night for Nunes.

That said Nunes deserves all the credit. She looked incredible with her striking so crisp. I loved her post fight speech and the other media stuff she did too.

Garbrandt also looked absolutely stunning and his performance was up there with Mcgregor's as performance of the year.

He displayed so many tools to his game and just looked so slick and when he put that strap around that kid's waist he won me over instantly. What a lovely gesture.

Also Cruz showed Rousey how to handle a loss in the post fight presser.

As others have said Rousey looked terrible, I'd love to know what she's been doing in the past year because last night suggests she's done fuck all. CM Punks debut was arguably not as poor as Rondas performance last night.

• Paid Members

Thing is, while Nunes did everything with precision, she really didn't have to work too hard to get the win. Rousey offered up a nothing clinch attempt, but apart from that she just stood in front of Nunes and offered little in the way of defence and offence. I think most capable fighters would have battered this Rousey. It's pretty stunning how exposed she was out there. At least with the Holm fight she had an even half a round and made it to the second.

It's hard to fathom how this fighter used to be an arm-ripping monster. Such a contrast.

I hope she makes the adjustments and comes back, but who knows. She surely has to look at this and realise sometimes criticism is valid.

Archived