UFC 207: Nunes vs Rousey

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

The injury news smacked of an out the moment he let it slip out of his mouth, even if it wasn't premeditated. Thing is, plenty of fighters, if not the majority, come in to their fights with varying degrees of injuries. Apparently, bloody McGregor was suffering from a staph injection weeks before the first Diaz fight, but the news only got out months later.

Personally, I thought it was a bit shit of Cain.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BREAKING: According to sources, Cain Velasquez vs. Fabricio Werdum at UFC 207 will not happen. NSAC ruled out Velasquez for medical reasons.

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/812779287447302144

Haven't heard I'm out of #ufc207, as far as I know it's still on... @FabricioWerdum

What the fuck is going on?

• Paid Members

Also just noticed Ariel reporting that Rousey will not be involved in any of the media interviews on fight week. Bit rich after all the shit with McGregor this year

Yeah, she's a baby. Might start crying or storm off in a huff if someone asks her about Melbourne or Holm or her training or questions where her head's at.

Was just cleared by Dr 30 mins ago and then he conferenced the Nevada Athletic Commision and spoke to them and recleared me with them.

Strange stuff. I'm looking forward to Cain vs Werdum just as much as the two title fights. It just seems destined not to happen though, these rumours about Cain's health just won't go away. 

• Paid Members

Was just cleared by Dr 30 mins ago and then he conferenced the Nevada Athletic Commision and spoke to them and recleared me with them.

Strange stuff. I'm looking forward to Cain vs Werdum just as much as the two title fights.

Same here - would be a big fight to lose!

Also just noticed Ariel reporting that Rousey will not be involved in any of the media interviews on fight week. Bit rich after all the shit with McGregor this year

No favouritism there, Uncle Dana, not at all. Jesus.

Speaking of which, it's Christmas morning here Down Under and that Cain news is a really shit present to wake up to.

• Paid Members

What a bummer. It was the fight I wanted to see most, but Velasquez must be in awful shape if they've decided to pull him from the event. By what's happened with Cain recently, it seems like his body can only really cope with one MMA fight a year.

Also, the way they've handled the promotion for the Rousey fight seems a bit screwed up. They've not bothered promoting Nunes and now Rousey, the one the show is built around, isn't doing press. Granted, a fighter shouldn't be forced to do mad press, but there is indeed a mad hypocrisy issue with how they handled McGregor.

The UFC discussed JDS as a replacement. It looks like JDS was up for it but................

Junior Dos Santos Retweeted Ariel Helwani

That's wrong Ariel He was the one 2 deny a replacement. He's prepared 2 fight & still did that If I was in his shoes I would be embarrassed

Junior Dos Santos added,

Ariel Helwani @arielhelwani
UFC 207 will proceed with 10 fights now, per the promotion. No replacement fight for Fabricio Werdum.
28 replies119 retweets229 likes
Ret
Mo

• Paid Members

Fucking hell. Last Christmas we got a lovely present from the UFC when they announced Anderson Silva vs Michael Bisping would headline the O2. This year we get Cain falling to bits and one of the most interesting rematches of the year cancelled.

If Werdum turned down fighting JDS instead then he'll get shat on. Especially as this will be the second time this year that has refused to fight a late replacement - remember Werdum vs Cain 2 was set for February, Cain got injured again and Werdum turned down Miocic as a replacement. Fans will crap on him and call him a fanny etc but they can all fuck off. 2016 more than any other year should've taught everyone that agreeing to last minute opponent switches often leads to you losing. It's just the way it goes. Diaz vs McGregor 1, Bisping vs Rockhold 2, even lower down the card with Brandon Moreno upsetting Louis Smolka. It's been happening up and down the cards all year. Then you factor in that JDS is a totally different style to prepare for than Cain would've been. AND that Werdum has already lost to JDS in the past. If Werdum took that fight and went 0-2, especially now in his late 30s when he doesn't have bags of time to climb the ladder again, it damages him. Yeah, that can happen even with the right preparation but swapping opponents less than a week out is almost asking for a loss.

It sucks for the card, yeah. But Werdum did the right thing here.

Re the McGregor/Rousey press stuff, I think the difference might be that Rousey had factored this in to her contract/agreement to fight whereas Conor hadn't and just didn't want to do it. Though on the other hand there is the conflict of interest since the owners of UFC also represent Ronda so may just want to keep their client happy..so who knows but either is plausible. 

Archived