UFC 207: Nunes vs Rousey

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Cain's ridiculous tendency to get injured has prevented him from going down as the best ever. He's still in that mix, but if he'd stayed fit think he'd be a lock for best heavyweight in the history of the game.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Cain's ridiculous tendency to get injured has prevented him from going down as the best ever. He's still in that mix, but if he'd stayed fit think he'd be a lock for best heavyweight in the history of the game.

Despite the injuries, if he beats Werdum and can beat Miocic for the title, he's got that title as best ever for me.

Injuries have been awful to him, but his body of work with those 2 wins would do it for me I think.

• Paid Members

The two dominant victories over JDS alone put Cain firmly into that best ever conversation. In any other era I think that prime version of JDS that we saw between 2009-2012 would've been the man and had a lengthy title reign. He was just unfortunate to come along at the same time as pre-injury riddled Cain Velasquez.

But I'd put Werdum in the best ever convo as well. Yeah he's had some losses but you look at his list of wins and he might just have the best list of wins in heavyweight MMA history. What other heavyweight's record beats this?

Submitted Cain Velasquez

Knocked out Mark Hunt

Submitted Big Nog

Dominant decisions over Travis Browne x2

Decision over Roy Nelson

Submitted Fedor Emelianenko (ending Fedor's decade long unbeaten streak)

Decision over Bigfoot Silva

Submitted Alistair Overeem

TKO'd Gabriel Gonzaga x2

Submitted Aleksander Emelianenko

I mean, fuck! I think it's pretty much unanimous that most MMA fans consider the three best heavyweights ever to be Cain, Fedor and Nog in whichever order you rank them. And Werdum's submitted all three of them! There aren't that many top heavies of his era who he hasn't beat. You're talking Cro Cop, Barnett, Arlovski, JDS and Miocic.

Werdum absolutely should be up there as one of the best ever.

• Paid Members

Definitely. It's a pity he decided to run in to Stipe's fist, because a title defence or two later you'd probably be having Rogan and co pushing the "best ever" hype real hard. He's there already for me, but if he gets through Cain and an unstoppable Stipe then there can be no question he's as good as anyone ever. Same with Cain of course.

Aye

Werdum suffers from the same issue that Hendo faced. He's never had a prolonged period of ruling the division. He had a 5 years unbeaten run from 2011-2016, which included 6 wins in a row, but during most of that time Cain and JDS were considered the best in the division. He might have the best resume in Heavyweight MMA history though. 

• Paid Members

Werdum's resume is arguably the best...he's just so inconsistent at times. He's had some right odd fights over the years. The latest being the way he tried to fight Stipe Miocic, just an erratic, rookie like panic.

Cain's inconsistency is purely through injury. He's avenged his two defeats emphatically, now he has a chance to avenge his 3rd. If history repeats itself, Werdum in a world of shit.

• Paid Members

Cain's inconsistency is purely through injury. He's avenged his two defeats emphatically, now he has a chance to avenge his 3rd. If history repeats itself, Werdum in a world of shit.

Cain's only lost twice so he's only avenged one loss, against JDS. But yeah if he evens the score against Werdum then he's in that GSP/Lennox Lewis situation of having avenged all his defeats and being in a position where he can say he's beat every man he's faced.

The Werdum loss was different to the JDS loss though. JDS caught Cain early with a bomb of an overhand right. Cain could chalk that up as a fluke in his head and it was clear what he needed to avoid in the rematches. The Werdum loss was worse because Werdum took a lot of Cain's big shots, still got the best of Cain on the feet and then submitted him. He beat Cain everywhere the fight went. He never just 'got caught' and there was no fluke. And unlike the loss to JDS, this time Javier Mendez couldn't blame Cain for not following the game plan because Cain did exactly what Mendez told him to do between rounds, he took Werdum down. And got throttled.

Cain will bounce back no doubt. The way he breezed through Travis Browne at UFC 200 was fucking scary. But I still think this rematch is harder than some are thinking it's going to be and isn't just going to come down to how thin the air is.

Werdum is inconsistent though. I agree. He's a weird fucker. When he's on form he looks amazing. But then other fights he just seems like he can't be arsed. He's so laid back outside the cage and I think that sometimes translates over into his fights. It's good to be relaxed in fights but there's been times over the years where Werdum's been too relaxed and might as well have been wearing Bermuda shorts and sunglasses. Then the Miocic fight, fuck me. I said it before but it was almost like he'd been watching Rousey vs Holm all day and wanted to see if he could make Rousey's bullrush strategy work.

If that Werdum shows up on Dec 30th, yeah he's fucked. I guess there's always the chance he comes in overconfident because of how the first fight went as well. That would be bad news for him. But I think you'll see a fired up Werdum and a fired up Cain here. This time there's no silly altitude bollocks. Cain's coming in with a bit of momentum and not off a long layoff. Werdum's coming in knowing he can beat Cain. And they're both probably a cunt hair away from a title shot so there's a lot at stake here. The first fight was easily one of the best fights of 2015, and I can honestly see this one being even better. I can't wait for it.

• Paid Members

There are few things so thrilling and terrifying, watching elite heavyweights go at it, because a silly mistake never goes unpunished and it's usually in the most devastating of fashions. It's why it's impossible and foolish to have confidence picking a winner if both men have the skills.

• Paid Members

Yeh it's a flip of the coin type sport.

As for Cain's losses, for some reason i thought he'd been beaten by Bigfoot Silva when i wrote the post...long day. It's still kind of valid though because Cain beat Silva up even worse the second time they fought. Just feels like he's the kind of guy that doesn't make the same mistake twice.

• Paid Members

Heavyweight is the most extreme form of that, though. It's a place where you can't be doing anything silly or you're most likely getting battered for it. It's why I chose Stipe as my fighter of the year. He's on this run right now and managed to blast through two of the best heavyweights ever while they are in fine form. Overcoming Overeem blasting you early doors makes your dick game strong.

Anyway, Rogan pointed this out on twitter too, but isn't it a bit mad that with all this hype and what not going into this PPV they've barely made mention of Nunes. The story they're telling is "ROUSEY IS BACK! Against some champion". While clearly Rousey is the draw here, you would think it would behove them to put a bit of work into getting some shine on Nunes, just in case she ends up battering Rousey, or at the very least they can create a semi-star out of it. Instead she's a complete after thought when she shouldn't be. Her story and accomplishments are interesting too.

Don't shoot me down for this but after the way Ronda was following the Holm fight, I really hope there's someone there for her if she loses this. It could all end in tragedy otherwise after what she felt like last time.

Archived