UFC 207: Nunes vs Rousey

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

45 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edmond isn't quite Manny Reyes Jr or Rafiel Torre in the fraudulence stakes, but he's on the verge of becoming the most high-profile conman in MMA history. Even if he plays the "I was hyping my fighter" card to explain the outlandish claims he made during that interview, it means that his word can never be taken seriously again. His cornering advice during the Holm fight raised eyebrows, and the web has untangled further since then. 

Here is a lengthy article that dissects him further, and even casts doubt on his credentials as a fighter, as well as a trainer - http://www.lowkickmma.com/UFC/who-is-edmond-tarverdyan-why-do-people-keep-paying-him/

• Paid Members

A part of me does feel Edmond has been made a scapegoat for Rousey's failings. A lot is made of his coaching but in both defeata Ronda has lost simply by not knowing how to react to being hit.

People are ragging on everything wrong about the Nunes fight but bottom line is Ronda was finished after Nunes landed the first right hand, any kind of gameplan and strategy was out of the window at that point.

There's no excusing his corner work really, 207 was pure panic mode. You dont need that in your corner.

• Paid Members

A part of me does feel Edmond has been made a scapegoat for Rousey's failings. A lot is made of his coaching but in both defeata Ronda has lost simply by not knowing how to react to being hit.

That's his fault as her coach - they clearly did no sparring. If she sparred she would get hit, and therefore not react like someone who never gets hit.

• Paid Members

Yeh, i agree with that 100% but from a technique stand point everyones ripping Ronda when its more likely that she forgets it all when she gets hit because she panics. I myself said previously that people got way to ahead of themselves seeing Ronda hit mitts (hello Joe Rogan).

When you have Luke Thomas breaking down everything she did wrong technically in a 47 second fight i think its easy to point the finger at Edmond and say "he didnt teach her correct technique", but that probably isnt the case, it's more that she lacked standup experience in real fight situations. Brock Lesnar suffered the same fate.

• Paid Members

it's more that she lacked standup experience in real fight situations. Brock Lesnar suffered the same fate.

That's why you spar. She didn't spar, or she wouldn't react like that. She hit pads, which also explains why the punches she did throw fell way short - she had no idea how to judge range - her target seemed to be the distance of a pad being held for her. i.e. 10" short of Nunes' head.

And I do blame Edmund for teaching her that horrendous technique. She has no head movement, no footwork; she hops, and stands too tall. She wouldn't be moving like that if she was taught correctly. Edmund is incapable. I place 50% of the blame on him for being out of his depth, and 50% on her for sticking with him after the Holm loss.

• Paid Members

With all due respect Herbie, how do you know if she sparred or not?

It doesn't matter how much the fight made it look like she didn't, we've got no idea how she really trained for it.

• Paid Members

With all due respect Herbie, how do you know if she sparred or not?

She reacted like someone who never gets hit. I see it all the time in the gym. Maybe she did spar - obviously I can't say 100% - but if she did, then nobody was allowed to hit her in the face for whatever reason.

• Paid Members

Whether it's because she didn't spar, or that she got rocked, or that she panicked, what can't be argued is her movement when standing up with a competent striker is awful. Luke Thomas does a really good job showing you exactly how off she is and the contrast between her and Nunes. 

Kenny Florian is of the same opinion as herbie, but her camp said she had 4 quality sparring partners during the build - a point Schaub and Rogan made before this on the 207 recap show.

Folk compared it to Lesnar and it was very spot on. Also worth noting Lesnar didn't allow anyone to hit him in the gym.

It seems momentum has built now and more than just the usual places are picking up that Edmond is a bit suspect.

• Paid Members

it's more that she lacked standup experience in real fight situations. Brock Lesnar suffered the same fate.

That's why you spar. She didn't spar, or she wouldn't react like that. She hit pads, which also explains why the punches she did throw fell way short - she had no idea how to judge range - her target seemed to be the distance of a pad being held for her. i.e. 10" short of Nunes' head.

And I do blame Edmund for teaching her that horrendous technique. She has no head movement, no footwork; she hops, and stands too tall. She wouldn't be moving like that if she was taught correctly. Edmund is incapable. I place 50% of the blame on him for being out of his depth, and 50% on her for sticking with him after the Holm loss.

Again, im not entirely disagreeing, im just saying she likely forgot everything she might have been taught when in the heat of the moment.

For the record Rousey's camp has said she had 4 different sparring partners for this fight.

I think Edmond filled her head with the wrong ideas. Remember his comments after the first round of the Holm fight? Rousey probably did spar, but did so under the supervision of someone who either didn't know what he was doing or someone who led her astray. Probably a combination of the two.

Ronda's camp can't exactly be taken by their word. We saw some of the bilge that Edmond was peddling above. 

• Paid Members

Who knows... If she was sparring against 4 different partners, then they weren't hitting her. And she's obviously easy to hit; so they were either instructed to go easy or were afraid of her storming off in a huff if they tagged her, & them not getting paid for a full camp if she wanted them gone. That seems likely - they're getting paid a few grand to be a sparring partner for 8 weeks. Day 1 Rhonda gets cracked proper in the nose, and they're gone the next day. So they take it easy on her - make her think she's invincible. That's still Edmund's fault IMO.

I've never seen a clip of her sparring anyone - all just hitting pads. But what I do know is that she reacted like someone who never gets hit. She's been at that Glendale gym for 5 years, in around a dozen full-time camps. I stopped reacting like that after 4 months of part-time MMA training. It doesn't add up. Her stance is high, her head is still, her range miles off, and her combos were random - these should be instincts - not stuff you forget under pressure.

Anyway.... we can all agree it was an embarrassing performance. She had these holes in her game all along - so I guess her big achievement is going 12 fights without anyone having the chance to expose it.

They certainly weren't hitting her as hard as Nunes did in that first punch, I don't know if she trains with men but the 4 horsewoman but the other 3 are pretty crap.

She may have had her eye on the door and a lot of the fighters are limiting or in fact cutting out their sparring because of potential concussion problems. If she moves on she probably doesn't want headaches or much worse later in life.

The prelims did around the number 1.5 million going head to head with College Football that did 12 million but apparently did really well in the female demographic, even girls under 18 which isn't the UFC' demographic, while Ronda might not have Conor's numbers there is no denying she brought in a lot of female fans.

Hopefully Amanda Nunes can get the rub and it makes her a star, she's a lot more open than someone like Holly Holm.

• Paid Members

Who knows... If she was sparring against 4 different partners, then they weren't hitting her. And she's obviously easy to hit; so they were either instructed to go easy or were afraid of her storming off in a huff if they tagged her, & them not getting paid for a full camp if she wanted them gone. That seems likely - they're getting paid a few grand to be a sparring partner for 8 weeks. Day 1 Rhonda gets cracked proper in the nose, and they're gone the next day. So they take it easy on her - make her think she's invincible. That's still Edmund's fault IMO.

hang on Herb, you've just completely made that up and still pinned it on Edmond :laugh:

Archived