Minor PPVs that don't deserve a thread *Spoilers*

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, RedTwoster said:

It was the closest a WWE event has come to shrugging its shoulders at its audience for some time.

They had the audacity to do the "Congratulations everyone, you've paid more per head for your ticket to this than any crowd in WWE history!!" announcement again, too. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Statto said:

They had the audacity to do the "Congratulations everyone, you've paid more per head for your ticket to this than any crowd in WWE history!!" announcement again, too. 

I find this baffling. Not just because of what you said, but the last 3 PLE outside the US they have said this for, even thought each had a smaller attendance then the last. 

The press Conference was something. I didn’t watch the show, but a sucker for press conferences. Cody got thrown a hard question (HHH left early to go back for his Daughter going to College) and someone asked about the Vince  documentary and Janel Grant.

later followed by Jade Cargill overreacting to a seemingly innocent question because AEW was used in the set up 

19 minutes ago, Statto said:

Yeah, the self-congrattitude era can fuck off, now. They've always done it, obviously, but they've been hammering it with a "We've earned it now though because we're proper in bed with you guys!" zeal for a year or two now. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, The Gaffer said:

Yeah, the self-congrattitude era can fuck off, now. They've always done it, obviously, but they've been hammering it with a "We've earned it now though because we're proper in bed with you guys!" zeal for a year or two now. 

I don’t mind it with the attendance (even though we know they always massively inflate it thanks to investor calls), but with this it is yucky. 

47 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The press Conference was something. I didn’t watch the show, but a sucker for press conferences. Cody got thrown a hard question (HHH left early to go back for his Daughter going to College) and someone asked about the Vince  documentary and Janel Grant.

He handled that question better than Triple H ever has. I can’t imagine he went into that conference prepared for a question like that, and the wrong wrestler might have lost their temper. So fair play to him.

47 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

later followed by Jade Cargill overreacting to a seemingly innocent question because AEW was used in the set up 

That was a really odd response, the question wasn’t really about AEW, it was about adapting to a new environment. 

Edited by RedTwoster

• Paid Members

Woke up early this morning so thought I'd watch this. First WWE event I've watched in full since the Rumble, I think (I caught some of Mania and Summerslam).

Really liked Cody vs Owens, I love both of them so was always going to be into this. Just a good match. The result was never in doubt but it worked for me anyway.

The womens tag was pretty clunky. Jade Cargill still looks absolutely incredible but in-ring seems to have regressed in some areas since I last saw her. 

What the fuck was Triple H thinking, taking a feud as heated as Punk/McIntyre and giving it the It's A Knockout-style stipulation? The stupid rules killed my interest in the match. Couldn't get on board with this at all. Punk is still missing something in this WWE run.

On the other hand, Rhea/Preist vs Dom/Liv was a lot of fun and the inevitable Rhea vs Dom showdown is going to be huge. All four did well here, even Liv who I'm not a big fan of.

It's 2024 and Randy Orton is still wrestling the exact same Randy Orton match. Genuinely one of the most boring WWE main-event wrestlers ever. Nice to see Gunther get this moment though.

Overall it was a bit of a dud for me, but the two matches I liked, I really liked. I still find the whole presentation off-putting and soulless, but they're doing great business so what the fuck do I know? At least Triple H didn't come out to pat himself on the back this time.

See you in January, WWE!

• Paid Members

Questions about serious matters like the Janel Grant thing shouldn't be really getting asked at Kayfabe post-PPV press conferences to begin with. Wrestling journalists aren't real journalists, their gotcha questions have no real life implications outside of the wrestling bubble. They're not asking to get newsworthy headlines that will actually benefit the victim(s) of any wrestling industry crimes or misdeeds, they're to get a buzz on Twitter and maybe make the front page of the observer. They don't have good or honest intentions when they ask questions like that.

Cody Rhodes has nothing to do with that so what are the journos expecting him to say?

"Great match out there tonight Cody, but what about all these rapes?"

• Paid Members

All of those post-PPV press conferences are utter shite anyway, I've no idea why WWE and AEW continue to do them. Just a weird mix of kayfabe and reality with the worst 'journalists' asking stupid questions. They often seem to do more harm than good and detract from the PPV, I'd be happy if they went away forever.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

What the fuck was Triple H thinking, taking a feud as heated as Punk/McIntyre and giving it the It's A Knockout-style stipulation? The stupid rules killed my interest in the match. Couldn't get on board with this at all. Punk is still missing something in this WWE run.

Saw one of the more known, annoying twitter accounts call this the greatest strap match ever which I thought was a very low bar and then made me think have I ever enjoyed a strap match? I genuinely can’t think of one.

What I hate about modern fandom is that there is a picture of Ludwig Kaiser doing the rounds where his arm is raised mid wave but it looks, in isolation, as if he is doing a Nazi salute and the usual brigade are doing the whole 'Why is this tolerated?! WWE is happy having a Nazi on its books!?' nonsense as if a young German man in Germany would ACTUALLY do a Nazi salute Infront of a load of other Germans. It's just sad. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Lorne Malvo said:

Punk is still missing something in this WWE run.

He is missing having someone annoy him backstage. There is no spite in his performance, no "I'm going to show you cunts who the best is" and without it he isn't the wrestler he was. Whereas the UKFF needs chips with fish to perform at its best, Punk needs chips on his shoulder and he doesn't have it now. 

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Saw one of the more known, annoying twitter accounts call this the greatest strap match ever which I thought was a very low bar and then made me think have I ever enjoyed a strap match? I genuinely can’t think of one.

Starks vs Danielson All Out 2023 is easily the best strap match I've ever seen. Crucially though, that didn't have the touch all four corners stipulation so was more of a Texas Bullrope match with a strap instead of rope. In terms of strap matches with the touching the corners stip, I'm not sure if Stone Cold vs Savio Vega has been topped in modern times. 

1 hour ago, FLips said:

Questions about serious matters like the Janel Grant thing shouldn't be really getting asked at Kayfabe post-PPV press conferences to begin with. Wrestling journalists aren't real journalists, their gotcha questions have no real life implications outside of the wrestling bubble. They're not asking to get newsworthy headlines that will actually benefit the victim(s) of any wrestling industry crimes or misdeeds, they're to get a buzz on Twitter and maybe make the front page of the observer. They don't have good or honest intentions when they ask questions like that.

Cody Rhodes has nothing to do with that so what are the journos expecting him to say?

"Great match out there tonight Cody, but what about all these rapes?"

That's the problem.   Apparently the person who asked this question is a real journalist and barely covers wrestling.  So, a real journalist goes to something that's presented as a press conference and asks real questions - you can't really blame him.

Edited by The Dart