The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

• Paid Members

Cheers for the recommendations folks, I'll start catching up this weekend!

2 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Ha, I just did the same thing last weekend! Three months free and all I did was change my payment option.

Ah, that might explain it. I selected PayPal this time. I clicked the link for the 'one month free' offer, but when I entered my account details they said I couldn't as it was for new customers only. Found a three month free link on Google and thought I'd try that- and I'm not being billed until 16th April 🤷🏼

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, air_raid said:

I recently watched all of them from 88 to 92 and they're excellent fun. A massive wealth of scene-setting for PPV matches and the ins and outs of how guys transition from their last house show feud to their next.

Yes, I watched 90-92 and now I'm going back to the beginning. There's so much simple fun to be had, I even caught myself enjoying a Hillbilly Jim segment. Another highlight was an angle where Kim Chee was managing Kamala and it turned out to be the Honky Tonk Man under the mask, and he attacks Jake the Snake. Has there ever been a bad version of this? It works every time doesn't it? DDP as La Parka, Dean Malenko as Ciclope, Undertaker as Kane all fantastic. 

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, gmoney said:

DDP as La Parka, Dean Malenko as Ciclope, Undertaker as Kane all fantastic. 

I'm not sure I have a fonder memory of the "Monday Night War" period for the level of excitement generated by watching unspoiled wrestling telly during the "anything can happen" time when so many fresh ideas were coming to the fore, than Tony Schiavone shrieking "THAT'S NOT LA PARKA!!" after the Diamond Cutter. I'm not sure there are many angles I loved more upon first viewing, actually.

• Paid Members

Something else I discovered watching old SNME - I hate Oliver Humperdink with every fibre of my black heart. How do you take someone who looks like that, dresses like that, and make them a face? I wanted to see someone kill him. 

16 hours ago, King of Hamptons said:

Is the network special on Nigel Mcguiness worth a watch? 

Absolutely. I only caught a smattering on indies on TWC back in his day so I'm not overly familiar with him at all, but it didn't stop me from getting a bit choked up watching it, to be honest. It's very well done, very frank and it has enough of a brilliantly told narrative journey from start to finish for you to get caught up in it and make it well worth your time. 

One of those ones were you just end up really happy for the guy at the end of it. 

19 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

Ha, I just did the same thing last weekend! Three months free and all I did was change my payment option.

Thanks for the heads up, mine was up for renewal, googled the link and changed from paypal to card payment and boom 3 months free.

First time ive not paid for it since the day it went live nearly 5 years ago.

Cheers!

GWN still have never charged me since the day they went live but they dont have a playstation app so i dont use it anyway.

Edited by rollthedice

10 hours ago, gmoney said:

Something else I discovered watching old SNME - I hate Oliver Humperdink with every fibre of my black heart. How do you take someone who looks like that, dresses like that, and make them a face? I wanted to see someone kill him. 

Jesse used to rip him non stop on Superstars, calling him an ugly looking troll. Humperdink is the absoloute worst. Whoever thought putting Mr Wonderful with him would work needs shooting!

4 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

Jesse used to rip him non stop on Superstars, calling him an ugly looking troll. Humperdink is the absoloute worst. Whoever thought putting Mr Wonderful with him would work needs shooting!

There's a part of me that wonders if he was a replacement for someone else. I like Hump too, but someone like Captain Lou would've made much more sense.

9 hours ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Absolutely. I only caught a smattering on indies on TWC back in his day so I'm not overly familiar with him at all, but it didn't stop me from getting a bit choked up watching it, to be honest. It's very well done, very frank and it has enough of a brilliantly told narrative journey from start to finish for you to get caught up in it and make it well worth your time. 

One of those ones were you just end up really happy for the guy at the end of it. 

Just watched it. I saw him a few times over here, he was amazing in the ring. Shame he never got the big pay off. 

• Awards Moderator

I just watched last year’s Royal Rumble as part of my ‘watch a few across January to hype myself up’ tradition. It’s a great match. Crowd’s loud throughout, it never gets dull, the surprises are great, there’s some great moments and interactions, it’s well paced, a really strong final four... If they can match it this year it’ll be a good Rumble.

edit: I’d totally forgotten about the Ziggler ‘retirement’ angle though.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

Someone lent me PlayStation VR. I whacked on some WWE through the NextVR app. It's really entertaining. I watched the most recent War Games and it's fun playing director. There are 3 or 4 VR cameras mounted around the set and ring, which it's cuts between. From there you can look around everywhere. There was a particularly good slingshot tope from Ricochet across the ring boundaries where you could swing your head from one side to the other to track his full move. A bit like watching tennis. Very brave of a performance like wrestling where misdirection and direction is a lot of the show to allow you some freedom to look where you want. 

If you know someone with a VR setup, give it a try. Lots of fun.