The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

• Paid Members

I think I saw it reported that they were repeating it on Sunday afternoon.

Having now finished the show, I’d recommend it. Solid hour of TV. Fun opener, handful of interview segments to introduce the characters, then a good main event betwee KUSHIDA and ZSJ.

Infinitely better than WOS.

I watched the infamous Steve McMichael vs Brian Adams match from WCW Road Wild 1998.

It has a reputation as one of the worst matches of all time which I think is undeserved. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not good. But I have seen many worse matches on ppv.

I haven’t watched any old WCW for a couple of years so I quite enjoyed a lot of the ppv.

Jericho got good heat from the crowd sat on their Harley Davidson’s simply by saying he rode in to Sturgis on his Honda.

Notable that Mike Tenay mentioned Rey Mysterio’s weak spot is his left knee due to having a series of operations on it.

Over 20 years later he is back in WWE looking great, with another few operations on that knee added to the list!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, dopper said:

I watched the infamous Steve McMichael vs Brian Adams match from WCW Road Wild 1998.

It has a reputation as one of the worst matches of all time which I think is undeserved. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not good. But I have seen many worse matches on ppv.

The first and only edition of Big Bri's Blinders. Yeah, there have certainly been many more matches worse even around the same era, involving wrestlers with vastly more experience than Mongo. Some of the 99 offerings by WCW, that match could have stood out as one of the LEAST shit matches not involving some input from Benoit or Rey.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Porkchopcash said:

Davey Boy had a few terrible outings in 98. Think one involving Mongo aswell.

Bulldogs FIRST FEUD in WCW was with McMichael. Think about that for a second ; you've got a lad who excelled by having strength in spades but also just about managing to keep up with Bret, Shawn and Owen. So his first outings on a new patch he's put with an ox who only ever managed watchable stuff as part of multiman clusters or being moved around by an elite worker like Eddy. Fucked from the off.

• Paid Members
On 10/19/2018 at 10:02 PM, Supremo said:

I’ve only seen the first match so far but the new Rev Pro show on Free Sports that started tonight looks really promising.

Someone has definitely put some cash into the production becasue it looks and sounds far better than the Strong Style Evolved shows they did earlier this year. No smudges on any camera lenses.

The crowd seem really well mic’d and they’ve flew Kevin Kelly in, which I’m a big fan of. They also did a neat little “Rules of Pro Wrestling,” segment at the start, similar to what you see at the start of MMA shows. It’s got a great look and feel. Like a late night boxing event.

Also, most important of all, they don’t cut the camera angle every three seconds. 

Honestly, I’m only one match in but this already feels like everything World of Sport could and perhaps should have been.

I noticed they put the wrong Sky channel number on their promo tweet yesterday. 

I can only imagine the neckbeard reaction if WOS or god forbid TNA made a similar mistake. 

• Paid Members

I've been watching the Raw's and PPV's from Nov 1996-Jan 1997 again this past while. One of the main things hitting me like a tonne of bricks on every show is Shawn Michaels being a total bellend. Was he really meant to come accross like this at that point, following his reception at Survivor Series, or were they totally out of sorts with what was likeable to the fans for a blue eye? Around that time even his mother couldn't have liked him, the smarmy git. 

Io Shirai & Tam Nakano vs. Oedo Tai (Kagetsu & Natsu Sumire) (Exploding Bat Death Match) Stardom Dreamslam 2018 01/04/2018

The build is simple Tam keeps losing in various match ups against Oedo Tai, Natsu says she’ll go 1 on 1 with Tam and she can pick the stipulation as she’s so confident, Tam asks for the death match, Natsu doesn’t want it but Kagetsu accepts on her behalf as long as it’s a Tag Team match in which she can pick Tam’s partner... Io Shirai.

DZrfoGHU8AA7ulV.jpg

Stardom doesn’t need dangerous gimmicks but the spectacle in this match paired with some great wrestling from Io and Kagetsu(probably the 2nd best female wrestler in the world right now, Io being number 1) made this match special and a must-see. The sense of tension every time the alarm sounded as somebody pressed a button to arm the explosives was incredible. There was some actual great wrestling too with Kagetsu performing a great middle rope apron-lifted suplex on Io and Io herself dodging exploding bat repeatedly.

Io eventually became the first to get hit by the exploding bat by Kagetsu and the explosion was huge and hopefully did not do too much damage to Io’s exposed legs.

DZs3DOVVoAEBJja.jpg

Sumire deserves credit after taking a lot of punishment, first from the used exploding bat as Io hit her with it repeatedly and then being hit by the second explosion from a bat from Tam.

After this hit Io performed a moonsault from the top rope to the outside to keep Kagetsu down and Tam managed to pin Sumire Natsu for the win. Whilst I wouldn’t like to see this type of match often in Stardom, as a one-off special match it was spectacular and very well executed. 4.5/5

Here’s a highlight video for the match if anyone’s interested

Edited by TildeGuy~!

• Paid Members
On 10/21/2018 at 10:44 AM, mim731 said:

Anyone know if this will be available on demand anywhere? I don't get Freesports, annoyingly

You can sign up to tv player FOC online and watch it live. The apps very flaky on IOS but using the web player via Chrome on an iPad works fine. 

No on demand playback from what I can see.