The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

Shield vs. Evolution at Extreme Rules.

At the start of the match Seth Rollins does one of those dives through the ropes to HHH against the barricade to little or no reaction immediately before Evolution take control, which is an interesting microcosm of what's wrong with that type of high impact wrestling.

Also noteworthy for boobs chanting "Bluetista" and "You Can't Wrestle" towards Batista. Presumably if guys like Vader came along now they would get the same chants.

As for the match, it was paint by numbers stuff I thought.

• Paid Members
22 hours ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

Marc Mero vs Triple H from IYH: Beware Of Dog is quietly one of the best matches of 1996. Mero puts in an insanely good babyface performance, selling the arm, struggling to find a way to fight back and starts wildly throwing out every single move he can think of off the top of his head that doesn't use his arm. Not too big on the slingshot finish, but loved how it came about, Trips need to rub Sable's nose in it and make her watch him win costing him the match. All so simple, all so good.

I'll be honest, Marc Mero was always a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. He often gets shat on by other wrestlers when his name comes up but I usually found him entertaining to watch in general. 

He did well with the Johnny B Badd gimmick in WCW. Well enough to apparently bag himself a sweet guaranteed contract with the WWF in 1996. I recall him having some surprisingly good matches with DDP and Pillman towards the end of his WCW run. I thought his initial babyface run in the WWF as the Wildman was decent enough as well. Off the top of my head he had some great matches with Triple H, Steve Austin, Goldust and Owen Hart. And while the in ring quality took a dip when he turned heel as 'Marvelous' Marc in 97, I thought he was good in the role of controlling dickhead boyfriend with Sable. It was basically a Poundland version of Savage's far superior stuff with Elizabeth but it wasn't bad. Mero was never the best on the roster anywhere but he usually seemed to get the most out of whatever role he was put in. 

What's the deal with other wrestlers seemingly hating him? Does it all stem from him speaking out against the dirtiness in the wrestling business in the wake of the Benoit thing? Was he known as a prick backstage?  Was it jealously over him getting the guaranteed contract with Vince back when nobody was? Mix of the above maybe? Because there were way worse wrestlers knocking about than Mero but it always seemed like people just loved to have a pop at him whenever they could. 

One of my favourite ever wrestling angles at the time (not sure how well it would hold up as an older, more seasoned viewer) involved Marc Mero in '96.

I'm a little hazy on the details now, but Mr Perfect, a commentator, was going to come out of retirement to put the arrogant Hunter Hearst Helmsley in his place, until I think Helmsley rammed an equipment case into him backstage. The Wildman however volunteered to take Perfect's place in the match, and to make sure Helmsley accepted, he even offered to put his Intercontinental Title on the line. Of course as the history books show, one double-cross by Perfect later and Hunter had won his first gold in the WWF. It was a set-up all along! :omg:

Edited by Uncle Zeb

Just re-watched Daniel Bryan vs. Triple H at WrestleMania XXX. It's a brilliant match. Everyone knew Bryan was going to win but the match suspends your disbelief with some great sequences and conviction. They don't need to go a hundred miles an hour all match because the crowd are so invested in the characters and story going into the match. Everything sticks with you and is compelling because everything is done with a clear purpose. Triple H in particular is a fucking don in this match - he just absolutely gets it. Steph plays her part brilliantly too. My one small gripe is Bryan probably doesn't sell the shoulder quite enough.

2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I'll be honest, Marc Mero was always a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. He often gets shat on by other wrestlers when his name comes up but I usually found him entertaining to watch in general. 

He did well with the Johnny B Badd gimmick in WCW. Well enough to apparently bag himself a sweet guaranteed contract with the WWF in 1996. I recall him having some surprisingly good matches with DDP and Pillman towards the end of his WCW run. I thought his initial babyface run in the WWF as the Wildman was decent enough as well. Off the top of my head he had some great matches with Triple H, Steve Austin, Goldust and Owen Hart. And while the in ring quality took a dip when he turned heel as 'Marvelous' Marc in 97, I thought he was good in the role of controlling dickhead boyfriend with Sable. It was basically a Poundland version of Savage's far superior stuff with Elizabeth but it wasn't bad. Mero was never the best on the roster anywhere but he usually seemed to get the most out of whatever role he was put in. 

What's the deal with other wrestlers seemingly hating him? Does it all stem from him speaking out against the dirtiness in the wrestling business in the wake of the Benoit thing? Was he known as a prick backstage?  Was it jealously over him getting the guaranteed contract with Vince back when nobody was? Mix of the above maybe? Because there were way worse wrestlers knocking about than Mero but it always seemed like people just loved to have a pop at him whenever they could. 

I remember seeing his RF shoot years ago and he came across as a nice guy. He seemed to normal and well adjusted compared to the bunch of nutters he probably had to deal with in 90's WCW and WWF. 

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

• Paid Members

The story at the time about Marc Mero was that the WWF were impressed with him based on his performance as Johnny B. Badd, and brought him in for big money - only for them to find out that he had a very limited grasp of the fundamentals, and had apparently really been trained to "play" Johnny B. Badd, and was a bit hopeless when called upon to do anything else.

I imagine it's a similar case to DDP having heat on him for scripting matches when he came in the WWF - long-standing members of the locker room resenting him for having a good contract that they felt was undeserved, then throw in the added heat by association with Sable, and stuff like Austin refusing to work with him after he took a powerbomb from Sable, which might have added to the perception that he didn't "get" wrestling.

Sheamus's first title win against Cena was a pretty shit match, not helped by the limitations of working a tables match.

They didn't do a whole lot with the tables, and it took them ages to set up the finishing sequence, which made Cena look stupid and presented Sheamus's win as a fluke.

It didn't a whole lot for either of them and I question what it accomplished.

I'm going through 1996 on the Network and am now on the post-Mania Raw. There was a line in commentary from Lawler about Sunny winning the 'Best Buns' award which I assumed was just him saying something pervy as per. Then McMahon reiterates it which led me to Googling it. Bloody hell, WWF was proper trash back then. Not that it's excusable either way, but at least in the Attitude Era it's quite clearly meant to be edgy. 1996 is still being family friendly.

In the Slammys, there's a video montage of different wrestlers talking before the Best Buns award with Undertaker saying "nice ass" in his deadman voice. You've also got a video of Goldust's nomination where Lawler says in commentary "I think you're a little homophobic, McMahon" to which he replies "You've got that right".

For some reason, you've got Razor Ramon as a nominee too.

5 hours ago, Sphinx said:

I'm going through 1996 on the Network and am now on the post-Mania Raw. There was a line in commentary from Lawler about Sunny winning the 'Best Buns' award which I assumed was just him saying something pervy as per. Then McMahon reiterates it which led me to Googling it. Bloody hell, WWF was proper trash back then. Not that it's excusable either way, but at least in the Attitude Era it's quite clearly meant to be edgy. 1996 is still being family friendly.

In the Slammys, there's a video montage of different wrestlers talking before the Best Buns award with Undertaker saying "nice ass" in his deadman voice. You've also got a video of Goldust's nomination where Lawler says in commentary "I think you're a little homophobic, McMahon" to which he replies "You've got that right".

For some reason, you've got Razor Ramon as a nominee too.

What’s wrong with Razor’s ass? 

• Paid Members

A pretty good episode of Raw from April 1996. It features a match and angle between Vader and Yokozuna, an in ring promo with Vince McMahon and The Ultimate Warrior, HHH Vs Duke Droese, and Shawn Michaels Vs Jerry Lawler with Diesel on commentary. 

However the best thing on the show is the British Bulldog and Ahmed Johnson having an arm wrestling contest, that inevitably descends into a brawl. What's good about it though is the ineptitude of the pair of them trying to figure out how to get Ahmed to go through a table. They fail miserably, so Bulldog gives up and just batters poor Ahmed with the table. Figuring out the old foreign object never was one of Davey Boy's strengths was it?

• 2 weeks later...