The "I've just watched ..." thread

mikehoncho

I watched the WM 2014 main event. It held my attention throughout and never lagged at any point, which is all you can ask for.

Randy Orton tazplexed Daniel Bryan on his injured shoulder at one point to ward off one of Bryan's incessant kick attacks. That's something wrestlers should do more often, bust out moves they don't usually perform, like HHH's Indian Death Lock at WM 2003. I feel wrestlers can become too regimented - Brock Lesnar an extreme example. In Orton's case it made extra sense within the context of the match to do that move.

Orton really held that match together IMO. You can see why he's so highly regarded. It was an excellent performance, technically and psychologically.

A teensy bit underwhelmed by Daniel Bryan's performance. It was basically 85% kicks and indulging the morons chanting "yes". I think you should wrestle your own style and not let the audience dictate the direction of the match.

"Morons" may be harsh, but, come on, they had their backs turned on the action at a crucial point while chanting na na goodbye at Steph and Trips.

Why can't people just watch something instead of living through a camera lens or chanting Holy Shit with a blank look on their face?

50 minutes ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

I think you should wrestle your own style and not let the audience dictate the direction of the match.

You must really hate Rock/Hogan from 'Mania X8 I take it?

Been watching WrestleMania 2000 today. It's around this time I started taking notice of wrestling and it's no wonder that the fact WrestleMania is supposed to be a 'special' event never fully translated to me until the year after. In such an excellent year for the then-WWF, this show is just incredibly average. Multi-man matches and weird stipulations all over, with not a single one on one match. It just doesn't feel like anything different to every other show that year.

Edited by Daaaaaad!

Fair point but it's a little different. Hogan and Rock adapted to the crowd because they were on Hogan's side and were for turning against The Rock; it could gave turned into a Lesnar/Goldberg shitstorm with two cloudier heads.

What I meant re: Bryan is that so many of his moves (repeated kicks) were engineered in order to pop a chant from the crowd.

I dislike how contrived it is.

42 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

You must really hate Rock/Hogan from 'Mania X8 I take it?

Been watching WrestleMania 2000 today. It's around this time I started taking notice of wrestling and it's no wonder that the fact WrestleMania is supposed to be a 'special' event never fully translated to me until the year after. In such an excellent year for the then-WWF, this show is just incredibly average. Multi-man matches and weird stipulations all over, with not a single one on one match. It just doesn't feel like anything different to every other show that year.

Due to the way the main event was a one-on-one match and the way it ended means I thInk of Backlash 2000 as the Wrestlemania of that year to be honest, its fun to pretend it anyway :D 

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

not a single one on one match.

Hey, don’t dismiss Terri Runnels vs The Kat so easily!

(But even that has the Catfight stipulation, Mae & Moolah in opposite corners and Val Venis as Special Guest Referee tacked on...)

Agree with you entirely, though - I still remember the excitement of seeing the Astrodome at the start of X7 and it finally being back to looking like what I felt a WrestleMania should look like.

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, NoUseforaUsername said:

What I meant re: Bryan is that so many of his moves (repeated kicks) were engineered in order to pop a chant from the crowd

Wrestlers doing moves to elicit a crowd response? Well I never.

• 1 month later...

Watched World's Greatest Tag Team v Los Guerreros on the episode of Smackdown where Brock and Kurt had their Iron Man match.

Los Guerreros won the title in a fantastic match from start to finish with everyone on great form.

As I recall WGTT had a blinder with Kidman and Mysterio at Vengeance a few months earlier that featured an all time favorite near fall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

After listening to the Wrestlemania 13 episode of, “Something To Wrestle With,” I went back and watched the main event of the go-home Raw, Bret vs. Sid in a cage match. It’s the first time I’ve watched it since watching it live as a thirteen year old.

It was as great now as it was then. Some really clever booking with Stone Cold and Undertaker trying to help their Mania opponents win to ensure their match would be for the Title. Bret’s acting afterwards is fantastic, too. Proper believable, justified heel turn. He hasn’t just become a baddie because they need a baddie, it makes complete sense in the storyline that he’d be thoroughly pissed off. Everything feels way more authentic than anything they put on TV these days. 

However, one thing I’d completely forgotten about is the final few moments, and the inexplicable HBK appearance! Everyone is brawling, Bret fighting Austin and Sid fighting Taker, then for seemingly no reason at all, despite being injured and not even having a match at Mania, Shawn appears at the top of the ramp holding a chair. What the fuck? It felt so out of place to put focus on a guy not even competing at the Pay Per View. Can anyone remember what the opinion was of this at the time? It feels so stupid looking back.

Edited by Supremo

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On 5/18/2018 at 8:17 AM, Weezenal said:

I don't know if this was the first two hour Raw, but I always remember recording Raw on a 1 hour tape and this one just cut off midway. Was gutted. 

That was early February i believe. They announced showing the full Rumble match but on the network it's just a second hour off RAW. Think Pritchard said the couldn't end up showing the rumble match due to the PPV or video distribution contract.

Watched the Final Four main event since i'm rolling through 97. Great match that doesn't suffer from the "roll out off the ring for ages and let two men go at it" we see a lot now. Just pure chaos with Kevin Dunn scrambling to get the spots.