Your favourite TV shows... when did they get shit?

Drfunke

Dream Team was amazing up until about the second coach crash/explosion. Season 6 was a belter, 7 was good, 8/9/10 were on the poor side. But up until Season 6 or 7 it was the legit best show on the telly. Killing Fletcher (the most popular character) was the same episode as the coach explosion and it too was all kinds on lame. But the first coach crash, the manager betting on the club getting relegated and Clyde chucking himself off the stadium secure it's status as a fuckin awesome show

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's always sunny in Philadelphia is my favourite program of all time. However the last few series haven't been upto their old standard, to the point where only existing fans of the show would be able to watch them. I still love all the characters, but the lack of new characters coming in and repetive stories is a real shame. One episode they just turn around and say "remember when we tried to sell gasoline? That was a good idea, let's do that again."

Have to agree about Friends - all the characters ended up becoming exaggerated parodies of themselves.

Absolutely Fabulous after Series 3 was the same - the characters became OTT and some of the episodes were just dumb.

Bad Girls after Yvonne Atkins died just got ridiculous - still had some great characters, Buxton in particular, but it just got shit after that.

Most sitcoms start to lose their edge when they expand the cast beyond the small groups that made them popular. Red Dwarf was always at its best with intimate comedy between a limited crew, hence losing its way in series 8 when they returned to a full ship. And it wasn't just Del Boy's flat that became overcrowded beyond Rodney and the old geezer. Frasier's apartment would become less comfortable to watch whenever Martin's girlfriend or Daphne's family were treated like parts of the furniture.

That said, I'd still take the worst episode of Frasier over the best of any others.

• Paid Members

Community after Dan Harmon was fired. Mad Men after season 5 (still not watched the final season) and New Girl after Jess and Nick got together

Community after series 1. It did a fucking zombie episode about 6 episodes into series 2, complete with a "someone gets pulled through a window by zombies" scene that they parodied in Shaun of the Dead. I gave up on it after that, but the quality downturn up to last straw was shocking.

• Paid Members

Thought of a couple that fell by the wayside within two series.

Twin Peaks: The first series and indeed the second series up until the main plot line is resolved were great. The second half of series two was a complete and utter mess.  It is like they forgot they had the best part of a dozen episodes to fill.

True Detective: The initial series was one of the best shows I have ever watched. I'm not a big TV man and it was perfect and eight 8 episodes, which is perfect for someone who can never be bothered to sit through a 22/24 partner. Series two was a mess, with too many main characters who you had no empathy for.

• Paid Members

I'll be honest, I didn't even make it that far. I found Rachel McAdams and Taylor Kitsch's character so massively dull that I couldn't be bothered. 'I'm a spunky woman who don't need no man', wow, haven't seen that before in the last few years. Unlike Rust and...the other one from series 1, the characters felt a bit too derivative.

• Paid Members

Community after Dan Harmon was fired. Mad Men after season 5 (still not watched the final season) and New Girl after Jess and Nick got together

Community after series 1. It did a fucking zombie episode about 6 episodes into series 2, complete with a "someone gets pulled through a window by zombies" scene that they parodied in Shaun of the Dead. I gave up on it after that, but the quality downturn up to last straw was shocking.

It was a Halloween episode? You didn't even get to see the paintball trilogy? Some of the best episodes were in season 2, (advanced D&D!!!) BUT if you didn't get the meta-ness of the show, it really wasn't for you

• Paid Members

The sheer drop in quality between seasons 5 and 6 of Lost is one of the biggest tragedies in TV. 

After Adebisi died in Oz it seemed to immediately go down hill. After that the main storylines just went round and round in circles (Said has another crises of faith! Beecher and Keller love/hate eachother again!) and the majority of the newer characters were terrible. It got to the point where main characters were killed off every week just because there was literally nothing else for the show to do.

I always enjoyed friends post London (maybe a little bit before that say mid season 3) far more that the early years. I think that's because I was still a kid really when it began and the initial stuff would have appealed more to older people where as either the hammier stuff later on or the fact I was then older made the end of friends more appealing as I was 18 and not 8.

Simpsons definitely went down hill I kind of enjoyed the simple writing of some of the mid teen seasons but now some episodes don't even seem to have a joke in them at all. Just terrible. Family Guy if you were a fan peaked a long time ago too. In fact i'd say the whole adult animated comedy thing has worn very very thin now.

Walking Dead was disappointing last season and i'm skeptical on the turn around next season even with Neagan 

Neighbours went from acceptable drivvel with hot aussie girls when it was on the BBC to outright terrible once it moved to channel 5

Archived