Your favourite TV shows... when did they get shit?

Drfunke

I was also a fan of the OC. I would watch it religiously up until early season 3 when In my opinion it went completely shit with all of the new teenage characters (can't remember the names). I came back for the last episode which even though I hadn't watch it for two years still was emotional. The OC finale is brilliant.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The only other one I can think of is My Name Is Earl. I don't know if it got "shit" but it did so many flashback episodes that it basically ate it's own back story.

I stop watching Earl at the end of Season 2 and ignore its following 2 season existence. Earl going to jail on a good deed for Joy is a good enough ending for me. The 1st season of Earl is absolutely brilliant.

Weeds was great up until the end of season three. That season ended perfectly and could have easily been the end of the show but it carried on for four more season. I watched season four and part of five but it was dog shit and stopped. My housemate persevered with it until the end and said that it became this massive caricature of itself. 

The (US) Office. Forgetting the first series when it was finding its feet and differentiating itself from the original, it was phenomenal for a good few years. I still think the third series is the most perfect of any comedy I can remember and whilst four and five had a few wobbles it was still must-watch TV.

I think the nonsense of Jim and Michael being co-managers was when it started to lose its original identity, then towards the end with Andy becoming a completely different, grating character (he was a scene-stealer when he was first in it) and the change of bosses, Catherine Tate, Sabre etc. it became a bit of a chore. Still plenty of laughs but compared to the first five series it was like watching a different show.

Andy became my least favourite character in the show and that's saying something when you consider The Office also has Kevin and Meredith in it. 

I've never seen any of the seasons post Steve Carell, as I found the episodes at the end of Season Seven without him bad enough and I didn't have the heart to watch further.  It's still one of my favourite shows  although there are some episodes where you have to suspend your disbelief plenty and storylines that I hated.  The Jan and Michael storyline (even moreso when she became pregnant) is one I didn't care for and Ryan long outstayed his welcome (purely from a logical sense as he still provided plenty of laughs).  I enjoyed Season Five with the Michael Scott paper company arc and Idris Elba was tremendous as Charles Minor, especially when you see him start sucking up to Wallace.  I might watch the final seasons at some point although I have visions of Rain Wilson having to carry things plus I also have a soft spot for Erin.

I think The Office US picked up and got better again after Michael left, it just took a bit of time to find its feet again. Apart from the episodes where Catherine Tate took over as boss, they were terrible.

Kevin is quality, what are you saying?

I didn't mind him at first when he was this slow, simple accountant who was a demon basketball player and played in his band, but as the show went on they ramped up the stupidity factor seemingly every episode.  I don't know the point that it finally got to much for me but wearing boxes on his feet (along with that wig) for Jim and Pam's wedding and the time he was screaming at Pam's breasts trying to get them to lactate are two instances that stick firmly in my mind.

Simpsons definitely went down hill I kind of enjoyed the simple writing of some of the mid teen seasons but now some episodes don't even seem to have a joke in them at all. Just terrible. Family Guy if you were a fan peaked a long time ago too. In fact i'd say the whole adult animated comedy thing has worn very very thin now.

Have you watched Archer or Rick and Morty? Despite me having said in this thread that Archer ain't what it used to be it still leagues ahead of anything like Family Guy.

People rightly criticise later seasons of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia for degenerating into a load of pricks shouting at each other but Archer's been dogged by that since the beginning. It's as if Adam Reed remade the admittedly excellent Frisky Dingo but this time around, every character is Xander Crews.

Agreed on Archer. It genuinely exhausted me watching it as it was relentless shouting. It's too in your face for me.

Friends is a weird one. I always thought it fell off the wagon a bit after Season 4 (the London episode everyone has mentioned) as well, as the focus went from Ross and Rachel to Monica and Chandler. But on a rewatch, David Schwimmer is actually awesome moving into the Chandler role of the whacky "special attraction" character, for lack of a better term. The ongoing storylines definitely dip, and the Joey/Rachel stuff is the final sign that they're out of ideas to me, but the comedy and performances as an easy to watch sitcom are still up to par. Even by season 8, when I'd stopped watching it as somebody that wanted to see where things went, you still had episodes like the Brad Pitt cameo that are pretty timeless now.

I'll nominate That 70s Show for this as well. It was a huge favourite of mine, but when I bought the boxsets, I was surprised at how much stuff they blew through so early. Storylines I thought played out for several seasons didn't, and I stopped buying the boxsets after Season 3 because everything I wanted out of the show I'd got, and I had no desire to see them fuck around with the relationships any more.

Maybe an interesting sub-topic, but does anybody notice interesting shows dipping when the character you love as the sidebar guy that is perfect in his role (Chandler/Hyde) gets more focus beyond what you want and they start trying to develop it more?

Simpsons is a sad tale, existing only as the trusty VHS machine in the living room that served its purpose like no other during it's time, but has long since lived out it's usefulness and seems to do little but collect dust and exist. Watching one the newer ones was especially depressing, to see how much of their comedy has gravitated to Family Guy style irrelevant "random gags". At the risk of sounding like a hipster, Family Guy was miles better in season 2 and 3, the seasons that got them canned, than it ever was when they brought it back. To the contrary, I think South Park deserves a hell of a lot of credit for being one of the most intelligently written and sustaining animated shows ever - I thought the Game of Thrones trilogy episodes were amongst the best in the history of the show, and the latest season with PC Principal and the Shi Tpa Town layout was great as well.

Lost is a classic case of a show that was so red hot but has aged terribly not just as the show progresses, but in the aftermath and in retrospect. Seasons 1 to 3 are so exciting and so dramatic and intriguing, but with the constant introduction of new characters and questions, you realise that any drama the show creates is totally false and will never have a payoff. In the end, it just kind of petered out.

Never seen a show fall so hard so fast as Heroes did after the first season though. I don't think I even made it to the end of season 2.

A problem with Heroes that stood out for me was the transformation of Claire (the cheerleader) from an intelligent young woman who took the weight of her newfound powers seriously, into a typical whiny teenager who never failed to flounce into danger whenever her parents told her she couldn't stay out late or have ice-cream for breakfast.

That 70's Show is a great shout. I have vague memories of that character that they tried to replace Eric with being so bad that it almost seemed like a writers in joke or some Russo 2000 take it down from within conspiracy was at play. Kelso got even thicker whilst Fez and Hyde developed story arcs that had beyond-their-means seeming relationships being pulled off.

I watched That 70s Show because Hyde reminded me of me when I was a teenager, grumbling about the gubament in the corner, with Fez being an even bigger loser than I was in real life. Seeing them two characters evolve beyond that just totally spoiled the aura.

Red Foreman is still a genius creation though. Get a kick out of seeing Kurtwood Smith in Fortress as well. Intestinate!

Archived