Your favourite TV shows... when did they get shit?

Drfunke

I am not a fan of the new Simpsons either, and this will sound mad, but what ruins it for me is the improved picture/hd quality it comes in, it just does not feel the same, i like my animation a bit gritty.

I like my HD, but agree with you regarding the Simpsons. It's not that I like gritty animation or anything, it's just that Simpsons on HD is really ultra fucking bright that it actually hurts the eyes.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Peep Show's a good shout for shows that didn't get shit. S8 was by far the weakest series but aside from that and a few naff episodes, it was nearly always great until the end.

Breaking Bad is probably the opposite of this thread. The first couple of series weren't much but it built into one of the finest TV shows ever.

Family Guy fell off after a while although I wouldn't know when that was. The difference between some of their earlier stuff compared to the latest episodes is like night and day.

• Paid Members

Cracker, it's initial run was epic to the point it can easily be seen as one of the best UK dramas.

But when it's natural run ended that should have been it, the Hong Kong bollocks was just that and the 10 years later episode felt wrong.

Should have just left Fitz alone smoking that cigarette.

• Paid Members

The Simpsons went downhill very hard, but recovered a bit. There's definitely a point where they recovered to ok tv from being unwatchable.

The big thing with them is the people writing for it now grew up watching it in its prime. There can't be many shows like that can there?

Someone who has generally decent taste in tv has told me that the most recent series of the Simpsons is actually decent. I'm sceptical, but would like it to be true..

The season before last was an improvement but the one just finished had a good 6 to 7 episode run at the end of dullness

Haven't quoted but been meaning to look at archer after a recommendation a while ago. Will grab some for my upcoming 13 hour flight I reckon

It was mentioned when talking about Caroline Ahearn dying but the Royle Family was excellent in season 1, good in season 2 and generally rotten after that. The big thing that accentuated the downward slide for me was how inconsistent the characters became. For example, Dave is portrayed as being a great dad initially with him always showing off pics of baby David and working on a homemade farmyard. But then he's also made out to be just as shit a parent as Denise. I've always felt this kind of thing was what made the show much poorer than it had been at the start.

Heroes after Season 1 got steadily worse every season 

I know Its not got much love on here to begin with the Big Bang Theory from around Season 6 is just a different show to what it was in the beginning, Again as mentioned with other shows its that moment they expanded the cast and made all the guys have Girlfriends

We still enjoy the Simpsons in our house, of course Its nowhere near the Glory years of the early 90's but still very watchable IMO (Family Guy I really can't watch these days as its just so poor) It did get quite poor in the mid- late 00's but the past few seasons have been pretty good and have a lot more rewatchablitly to them then the previous mentioned seasons in the late part of the last decade

Season 28 Coming in September, Genuine question but where do you see it ending? Would it take a major cast member to die for it to reach its conclusion or could Fox say 30 is a nice number and end it there in 3 years time with maybe a Movie every for few years to just keep the Merch cow moving along.

Personally I'm Ok with it continuing for as long as they want but I've said it for years now, they really should Age The Characters by say 10 years, Bart would be 20 and maybe with a job, Lisa would be 18 and at college, It Just opens up a whole load of new stories with different scenarios for the characters. 

The writers strike killed Heroes' momentum stone dead by giving it a short 11 episode run. I do seem to remember Tim Kring saying they couldn't tell the story they wanted to.

I've started watching Heroes today whilst doing my weekend shift. Brought back memories of what I remember to be a great 1 season so hoping it will still stand up as I've got all four seasons and Reborn to get through. I only ever got to the end of season 2.

• Paid Members

Heroes' season 1 was okay, though they blatantly ripped stuff from comic books, but it slowly turned into one of the greatest unintentional comedies ever. The big problem is that TIm Kring is such a shit showrunner. In the later series, instead of having a team of writers working together, he'd get them to each write short arcs and then would make absolutely no effort to fit them all together. Characters would do things that totally contradicted everything from, like, two episodes before. Not to mention that they ended up with a million different *origin* stories for why they all had powers.

Prison Break's another show that started off well but ended up in the "So bad it is hilarious" category. For me, it started falling apart in Season 2, once they actually escaped from the Prison and it became obvious that the producers had no idea what to do from there. I haven't seen any evidence, yet, but I'd bet money that Season 4 was originally pitched as another show and just shoehorned into being Prison Break.

Veronica Mars is another one that got shit in Season 2. The first is one of my all time favourites but the Second was a bloated mess. Far too many characters involved in too many storylines that went nowhere. And to top it off they decided to retroactively shit on the ending to Season 1. The cunts.

The only other one I can think of is My Name Is Earl. I don't know if it got "shit" but it did so many flashback episodes that it basically ate it's own back story.

Cracker, it's initial run was epic to the point it can easily be seen as one of the best UK dramas.

But when it's natural run ended that should have been it, the Hong Kong bollocks was just that and the 10 years later episode felt wrong.

Should have just left Fitz alone smoking that cigarette.

I cannot remember the Hong Kong episode, but judging by your post, I am not missing much!

Simpsons definitely went down hill I kind of enjoyed the simple writing of some of the mid teen seasons but now some episodes don't even seem to have a joke in them at all. Just terrible. Family Guy if you were a fan peaked a long time ago too. In fact i'd say the whole adult animated comedy thing has worn very very thin now.

Have you watched Archer or Rick and Morty? Despite me having said in this thread that Archer ain't what it used to be it still leagues ahead of anything like Family Guy.

People rightly criticise later seasons of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia for degenerating into a load of pricks shouting at each other but Archer's been dogged by that since the beginning. It's as if Adam Reed remade the admittedly excellent Frisky Dingo but this time around, every character is Xander Crews. 

It is rather strange to suggest that animated comedy is wearing thin though, whatever that means. Both Rick and Morty and Bojack Horseman have come up with their own blends of bittersweet comedy despite some early teething problems, Bob's Burgers still has plenty of mileage in it and while the latest season was transitional, Venture Bros. is one of the best animated shows of all time.

On Heroes I remember reading/hearing that TIm Kring originally wanted to do a whole new story with a new cast each season, but the suits wouldn't allow it for various reasons.

I gave season 2 a pass because of the already mentioned writers strike but fuck me season 3 was bad. I didn't even finish the final season because it was so boring (and again resorted to time travel) and have no interest in Heroes Genesis.

Back on track other than a few stand out episodes Season 7 of Buffy the Vampire Slayer is complete crap with almost every cast member phoning it in at that stage. Angel on the other hand was cancelled just as it was starting to peak imo.

Archived