Your favourite TV shows... when did they get shit?

Drfunke

• Moderators

Simpsons definitely went down hill I kind of enjoyed the simple writing of some of the mid teen seasons but now some episodes don't even seem to have a joke in them at all. Just terrible. Family Guy if you were a fan peaked a long time ago too. In fact i'd say the whole adult animated comedy thing has worn very very thin now.

Have you watched Archer or Rick and Morty? Despite me having said in this thread that Archer ain't what it used to be it still leagues ahead of anything like Family Guy.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

The (US) Office. Forgetting the first series when it was finding its feet and differentiating itself from the original, it was phenomenal for a good few years. I still think the third series is the most perfect of any comedy I can remember and whilst four and five had a few wobbles it was still must-watch TV.

I think the nonsense of Jim and Michael being co-managers was when it started to lose its original identity, then towards the end with Andy becoming a completely different, grating character (he was a scene-stealer when he was first in it) and the change of bosses, Catherine Tate, Sabre etc. it became a bit of a chore. Still plenty of laughs but compared to the first five series it was like watching a different show.

Community leaps out for me, but unlike what's been said a bit in the thread, it was because of how meta they tried to get at some point in Season 2. It was often a cute device and made you feel clever and involved as a viewer when used smartly and sparingly, but I remember getting genuinely cross with it some weeks, just begging them to give me a sitcom with some situation comedy, instead of what I felt it was becoming.

It actually represented quite a shift I think, too. For about 8/9 years before Community, certain shows like Curb, Arrested Development 1-3, The Gilmore Girls and Screenwipe (and there'll be loads others I'm too thick and culturally unaware to know of), had reveled a bit in peeling back the curtain to allow us all to talk about telly as if we worked in it. A bit like the first time you discuss heels and faces in wrestling. A mix of knowledge and enthusiasm from what felt like a small audience made those shows seem so much more powerful to certain viewers, and as box-set culture evolved, so did those conversations, and more people were drawn in to talking telly analytically, with in-jokes and winks-to-camera being spotted and enjoyed by more and more people. Community dived on that, devouring every possible opportunity to impress a growing number of people who watched for 'meta'. Christ, the fact that everybody even knew the word 'meta' when on the Media degree I did in 2003 it was barely referenced was absolutely remarkable. But where Community gets it wrong where some of the others got it right was that it sacrificed traditional TV tropes (oo-er, there I go again with telly words) just to get the cleverdick lines out there. So for example, Jeff's relationships with Britta and Annie get completely lost in the shuffle, and Abed's charm as a TV/Film nerd (and often exposition for Dan Harmon's more complex plotting) is lost to making sure they've crammed enough references and jokes into his dialogue. There's nothing wrong in making telly about telly, but Community becomes a gradually uglier and messier attempt at it, for me.Which was a shame, because it was such a warm character-driven and funny show early on, despite being so densely layered.

Frankie's right about The US Office too. I love it as much as I do my own kids, and can watch any episode now for 20 fun minutes, but it's undeniable that it staggered over the line. They actually pulled together a pretty superb final season, using the actual existence of the documentary portion of the show as a reason to bring things to a close, but for a couple of years the dip in quality was tangible.

• Awards Moderator

I'm with NEWM on Community. The episodes I enjoyed the most were always the ones that played it most like a straightforward character sitcom - most (not all, but most) of the gimmick episodes were the ones I probably enjoyed watching least.

• Paid Members

This is a great topic, I'm always complaining that everything gets shit after a few years.

community season 1 was great, I lasted one episode of season 2 before I had to pack it in.

Curb your enthusiasm had a really good run, despite being a Seinfeld fan I didn't really like Season 7 though. I was impressed when they pulled it back for series 8, it was great, changing the location and dropping all the baggage was a great idea and injected some life into it.

• Paid Members

Frasier's final few seasons are nowhere near as strong as the early ones, but for the lows (Daphne's family) they absolutely make up for it with massive highs (Frasier hamming up every scene). 

• Paid Members

Were there any shows that ran for years yet still somehow didn't jump the shark.

I think Peep Show had a couple of weaker seasons late on, but the last one was truly brilliant. Therefore I think it could be a good bet for not jumping the shark.

I didn't think the last series was truly brilliant in the slightest, but it was a lot better than the series previous. That episode where Mark finally gets Business Secrets of the Pharaohs published was the worst episode ever.

• Paid Members

Someone who has generally decent taste in tv has told me that the most recent series of the Simpsons is actually decent. I'm sceptical, but would like it to be true..

Every time I try a new Simpsons episode it's the new worst episode I've ever seen.

I was a big fan of True Blood for the first couple of seasons, but it fell to bits after that — the last two seasons would have filled a ten-minute clipshow with their interesting moments.

Good shout.

First three seasons were great TV but it was all downhill from Seaon 4, the final three seasons were a complete disaster.

Archived