Andre The Giant: The Movie

HarmonicGenerator

• Awards Moderator

Andre is too great for this not to have its own thread. There's an Andre biopic in the works. Sounds like very early days but his daughter is involved and it's based on a graphic novel, because even true stories are better if they're comic adaptations these days:

He's probably still best known to film fans for his role as Fezzik in 1987 fantasy comedy classic The Princess Bride, but Andre the Giant Roussimoff lived a fascinating tough life outside of that film part. Now a team including his daughter, Robin Christensen-Roussimoff, is putting together a biopic of the man.

Producers Scott Steindorff and Dylan Russell have hatched a deal with Christensen-Roussimoff and Lion Forge Comics to base the film on authorised graphic novel biography Andre The Giant: Closer To Heaven, which hit shelves last year, written by Brandon Easton and illustrated by Denis Medri. It chronicled his life from working on the family farm in France to his rise as part of the World Wrestling Federation, which itself was helped by his burgeoning celebrity. But his size and stature came with a price. "Andre the Giant rode the wave of the rise of wrestling in America, while suffering from the painful health condition of gigantism – there’s an Elephant Man story here,” Steindorff tells Variety.

“I’m really excited to watch this story come to life on the big screen,” Robin Christensen-Roussimoff adds. “It’s been a labour of love for everyone involved, and we’re really looking forward to making it available to a larger audience.” Roussimoff died in 1993.

The next step will be to find a writing and directing team and, crucially, someone who can portray Roussimoff.

Without having any idea if the film will be any good, or if it'll even happen, let the fantasy casting begin!

Just who do you get to play Andre The Giant? And what about the other WWF characters who'll have to show up in the film? Vince and Hogan will have to show up, if no-one else.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think it's too silly to consider Big Show for the lead role.

He is the same build as Andre these days, has plenty of previous acting experience, can handle the wrestling scenes, and - let's face it - there aren't many legitimate giants around to choose from.

The only other option would be to have a regular bloke do it using camera trickery like they did with Robbie Coltrane in the Harry Potter films.

• Paid Members

An Andre the Giant film with Big Show sounds so shit, they'd be better off doing it as a cartoon than that.

I can't see how they'd do it really, no one is like Andre and if they used special effects would feel strange. Maybe if it was big enough budget they'd do big show (or similar)'s body with a cgi face and someone else doing the voice, that would be really weird though. He's not the incredible Hulk or anything but I don't think a tall guy in a wig that doesn't look like him could do him justice.

• Moderators

Andre is too great for this not to have its own thread. There's an Andre biopic in the works. Sounds like very early days but his daughter is involved and it's based on a graphic novel,

Oh for fucks sakes, I fucking hate comics. They are the shits.

EDIT: Except for Viz.

• Paid Members

Is Rory McAnn not a bad shout? He's about 6 foot 6/7, has a ton of acting experience and has been in shows like Game of Thrones so has some dramatic battle experience. A little bit of lifts in the shoes and smaller guys next to him, he'd make a good Andre, can see some of his face in him too.

• Paid Members

Bearing in mind that Michael Fassbender looks nothing like Steve Jobs yet he did an excellent job of portraying him in that biopic last year to the point he got Oscar nominated for it, I'd like to see James Franco given a go

Jobs doesn't have nay distinctive physical features though. Andre is, well, a giant.

Jeff Garlin looked a bit like him on The Goldberg's recreating the scene from The Princess Bride but obviously he was next to children instead of grown ups.

He does have a big head and body, probably just need extreme camera angles if they went with him.

Andre is too great for this not to have its own thread. There's an Andre biopic in the works. Sounds like very early days but his daughter is involved and it's based on a graphic novel,

Oh for fucks sakes, I fucking hate comics. They are the shits.

EDIT: Except for Viz.

I just hate the phrase graphic novel.  Admit it's a fucking comic, don't lie to yourself.

Viz is fucking great, can't beat a bit of Drunken bakers or Scum Mothers, Who'd Have em.

• Moderators

Jeff Garlin looked a bit like him on The Goldberg's recreating the scene from The Princess Bride but obviously he was next to children instead of grown ups.

He does have a big head and body, probably just need extreme camera angles if they went with him.

I've never seen Jeff Garlin do anything but comedy. I can't think he has the chops to pull something like this off.

• Paid Members

The only other option would be to have a regular bloke do it using camera trickery like they did with Robbie Coltrane in the Harry Potter films.

A lot of the Hagrid scenes where he was seen 'in full' on screen wasn't camera trickery at all, instead they had a rugby player called Martin Bayfield in the get up and a truly wonderful model head. It's quite astounding if or when you see it.

Glenn Fleshler is a fantastic shout.

Archived