McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

7 minutes ago, the_mole said:

Most will but some won't, which is why Lewis-Tyson was in Memphis or something, as Vegas, New York etc banned it.

The sport has different rules, state to state for gods sake.

This isn't boxing though, it's not really the done thing for the UFC to essentially tell New York "You're banning him for a year? Cool, we'll just go to Memphis, or Florida, or California instead".

They've never done that to my recollection, and I doubt they're going to start by fucking off the commission in a State that they've angled and campaigned to be allowed into for years.

If McGregor is banned for a year by New York the UFC may appeal it, but they're going to recognise it. They won't dismiss it and just book him elsewhere.

Edited by David

As far as I know Conor doesn't even have a fighters license anywhere including New York and thus doesn't even have to deal with NYSAC as it's a criminal case, he only has to deal with the court system, who see Athletic commissions for what they are mickey mouse courts, who have nothing to do with real crimes.

The reason the New York thing took so long as it was a union thing with Ferttita brothers gaming and a union there, Endeavor don't own any businesses like that, Ari's brothers the Chicago rep for the Democrats and both Dana & Ari Emanuel have both worked with Trump when he was a TV star.

8 hours ago, the_mole said:

As far as I know Conor doesn't even have a fighters license anywhere including New York and thus doesn't even have to deal with NYSAC as it's a criminal case, he only has to deal with the court system, who see Athletic commissions for what they are mickey mouse courts, who have nothing to do with real crimes.

The reason the New York thing took so long as it was a union thing with Ferttita brothers gaming and a union there, Endeavor don't own any businesses like that, Ari's brothers the Chicago rep for the Democrats and both Dana & Ari Emanuel have both worked with Trump when he was a TV star.

Tell you what Mole, if the NYSAC slaps McGregor with a ban, and the UFC choose to blatantly ignore it and book him to fight in Vegas or California or somewhere else under their banner you can remind me of this conversation.

8 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

Does anybody actually know 'worst case scenario' here for McGregor? Could he actually go to prison? if so, how long?

I've seen in mentioned that he could, theoretically, get around 7 years at worst. The tabloids are running with that number as well, but the truth is he's very unlikely to see any prison time. He's a first-time offender.

The only thing that could possibly throw a spanner in the works is a Judge who's looking to make a name for themselves. That could happen, but even then I doubt he'll see any jail time.

A decent chunk of change and some community service looks the likely outcome, and from a criminal standpoint he doesn't really deserve more than that.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

Does anybody actually know 'worst case scenario' here for McGregor? Could he actually go to prison? if so, how long?

Very, very unlikely.

Worst case here IMO would be a criminal record for violent offences stopping him from entering the USA again.

9 minutes ago, David said:

I've seen in mentioned that he could, theoretically, get around 7 years at worst. The tabloids are running with that number as well, but the truth is he's very unlikely to see any prison time. He's a first-time offender.

The only thing that could possibly throw a spanner in the works is a Judge who's looking to make a name for themselves. That could happen, but even then I doubt he'll see any jail time.

A decent chunk of change and some community service looks the likely outcome, and from a criminal standpoint he doesn't really deserve more than that.

8 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

Very, very unlikely.

Worst case here IMO would be a criminal record for violent offences stopping him from entering the USA again.

Cheers guys.

It's insane they have a justice system where you have to take into account Judges trying to become celebrities.

I did have this discussion the other day with a bloke at work, forgot how bad it looks or how bad pr this is for him and UFC, on paper he threw something at a bus window which unintentionally injured somebody.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

It's insane they have a justice system where you have to take into account Judges trying to become celebrities.

I see why you thought that, but I don't think that's what he meant. In the US, it's a common thing that legal professionals want to raise their public profiles, i.e. "make a name for themselves", by working on major cases in the public eye, or cases that have special legal significance, because it's the most effective way to advance to a higher position in law, and potentially politics if they wish, like Attorney General or Solicitor General.

Edited by Carbomb

Just now, Carbomb said:

I see why you thought that, but I don't think that's what he meant. In the US, it's a common thing that legal professionals want to raise their public profiles, i.e. "make a name for themselves", because it's the most effective way to advance to a higher position in law, and potentially politics if they wish, like Attorney General or Solicitor General.

Yeah, that's what I meant, although the celebrity thing would be a by-product of taking such a stance, in MMA circles anyway. 

It's a quite high-profile case is what I really meant, and sometimes a Judge can want to be seen as taking no shit and hammering the wealthy celebrity just to establish themselves in their field. 

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

He's done with fighting isn't he?

What do we think ... one, maybe two returns for exhibition pay days and done? It's difficult to even think of him as part of the UFC roster at this point.

• Paid Members

Who knows. He's got his legal issues to sort out first, but Dana quite clearly wants that Khabib v Conor fight in by the years end. I can see him taking it too as he's a mad bastard, and he knows it's a massive fight now.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• 1 month later...