McGregor McRetires? No. But let's talk about him anyway.

Supremo

6 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

December (for Conor v Khabib), you mean?

I forgot they did that for the 230 show. Although I don't think it means it can't happen. The UFC maybe feel the need or want to stack their MSG cards because it's MSG - I'm aware they don't have to for Conor, but the other argument is it can give other champions a lot more exposure on a Conor card. WW is one of the few divisions free for a title scrap too, outside of some daft interim, of course.

This is, of course, all speculation. They usually go all out for the December show too.

They didn’t. Woolley/Till is 228. It’s Yoel/Costa at 230. My bad.

Could definitely see it at MSG, then.

• Paid Members
On 7/27/2018 at 4:38 PM, d-d-d-dAz said:

They didn’t. Woolley/Till is 228. It’s Yoel/Costa at 230. My bad.

Could definitely see it at MSG, then.

Hold on, what the hell have I missed? Go away for a week's holiday and I come back to hear Yoel Romero Vs Paulo Costa has been booked? Really? Jesus Christ, Michaelangelo's David Vs The Brazilian Oak, right there in MSG. That fight came out of left field, for me. 

6 hours ago, WeeAl said:

Hold on, what the hell have I missed? Go away for a week's holiday and I come back to hear Yoel Romero Vs Paulo Costa has been booked? Really? Jesus Christ, Michaelangelo's David Vs The Brazilian Oak, right there in MSG. That fight came out of left field, for me. 

They're packing 230 and MSG out with Middleweights. 

Rockhold v Weidman 2

Romero v Costa 

Brunson v Adesanya 

... any more? Sure there was. 

4 hours ago, Silky Kisser said:

Helwani said Monday that the UFC had announced it despite Romoero saying no.

Ah, the classic tactic of the UFC to effectively pressure a fighter into accepting a fight/conditions that they aren't altogether happy with.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

If they are on the same card why wouldnt you do Costa/Adesanya? 

I'd love to see that as well but given the choice I'd rather Romero vs Costa. 

Plus, there's probably a smaller window of time that the Romero fight can happen. As ridiculously incredible as he looks for 40, he's still 40. He's no spring chicken and has had a long athletic career when you factor in his wrestling days. He's probably not going to be fighting that much longer. If they don't make Romero vs Costa soon, we might never get to see it. Whereas both Costa and Adesanya could potentially be around for years. There's bound to be plenty of opportunity for that fight to happen down the line. There's less urgency to do it right now than the Yoel fight for me. 

• Paid Members

Indeed. Romero said to Helwani a couple of months ago that he's starting to feel his body betray him, so he's not sure how long he'll be sticking around for - "god's will" and all that. Of course, a declining Romero is still a freak, but for an elite athlete like Yoel has been for most of his life, it must be disheartening seeing your innate athletic talent diminish, particularly if a chunk of what makes your game plan work is overcoming technical short comings with scary "Yoel is losing this fight, J... YOEL JUST KILLED A MAN!" explosiveness.

Edited by ColinBollocks

• Paid Members

True. The power of Gay Jesus can only sustain you for so long. 

It's a tough one, because I like Romero, but I also want to see Costa continue his undefeated streak.

McGregor's comments on the Khabib fight:

“I believe so – I hope so, (that it will be in 2018),” McGregor said. “I’m pushing for it. You know, I (expletive) love New York City. To be able to be here free, a free man walking around this place – what a city. What a (expletive) city. I’d love to fight in the Garden, again, but I believe this one is for Las Vegas.”

UFC 229 takes place Oct. 6 at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. UFC 232 is the promotion’s year-end card on Dec. 29.

October the 6th seems a bit too soon. Thus, I think the December show is most likely. I just hope that neither gets injured and Conor manages to keep his nose clean until then.

Conor's latest tweet makes me moist. I believe this is days away from being announced. I think  I heard Ariel say they are doing a presser in Los Angeles next week - likely there. 

Which leads me to the question - does this does this fight do bigger numbers than either Diaz fight? Has his stock actually fallen? Me thinks nah. 

43 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

By the time they've finished the hype job, and we've seen that dolly hit the bus window for the millionth time, I reckon this will be the biggest show they've ever done. 

The bigger question is, what do they do if and when Khabib absolutely mauls McG to within an inch of his life? 

I'd be hard-pressed to give McGregor much a chance if it were the active, in his prime McGregor from 2015/16, but he's coming into this fight off the back of an almost two year lay-off against a guy who's a fucking wrecking ball.

To the ownership, they must know that he is essentially the last big-money generator in the company now. I'm not figuring Lesnar into the equation, because he's the wrong side of 40 now and will likely be "one & done" against DC.

If both of those fights go the way they look like they will go, it's lean times from then on out.

Lean, lean, lean!

• Paid Members

It does feel like a massive risk to take. Conor for my money literally has a 1 round punchers chance against Khabib, its not gonna be pretty if he doesnt find it.

Obviously it will harm McGregors drawing power to a degree but unless he flat out retires McGregor can fight on and do huge numbers, a Khabib doesn't need to be the end.

It's slim pickings for top PPV stars though, theres gonna be a drop off they need to be prepared for when these guys are gone. Boxing is in the same boat, in the States there's literally only one fighter drawing big numbers currently on PPV.

Thing is, when he lost last time he came back and sort of gained some redemption by facing the same guy and getting a decision win.

If he loses to Khabib, I don't see him wanting to rerun that bout again, especially if he gets smashed up over the course of three or four rounds. If that happens it's got to be the third Nate fight, as there won't be much out there for him.

Unless, of course, the UFC take him off the back of a loss and throw him in with whoever the welterweight champion is, of course. Which, thinking about how things go these days, isn't all that hard to imagine.