Youtube cool finds thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Nice find. Literally just seen you mention Oleg in that other thread in On Topic and thought to myself that he’s gone vastly underappreciated in here. Sadly, almost all my memories of Oleg are of him getting battered though. The beatdown from Severn, the upkick KO from Renzo and the time Gary Goodridge punched him into dust in Pride. 

C2002933-8E12-481F-8B63-8E9BAE54D36D.gif

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Moderators

Was reminded of James Thompson in PRIDE today and his hilarious fight against Alexander Emelianenko. In reading his wiki page I find out he had a fight with UFC ref Marc Goddard. 

Very amateur fight, the groundwork is appalling, just mounting with no defense and just terrible escapes. You'll also want to catch two of the dodgiest armbars you'll ever see from Goddard, the second one I guess he claims Thompson tapped to but I have no idea why he would've given his elbow being so far out.

• Paid Members

I posted that in the 'today i found out' thread a couple of months ago i think. Thompson actually fought Goddard twice and beat him him in under a minute both times. That youtube channel is full of crazy old UK MMA.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Thompson actually fought Goddard twice and beat him him in under a minute both times.

Nah first fight went into the second round - its the vid I posted. Second fight Thompson totally lamps Goddard.

• 10 months later...

I first watched this video last year and forgot to share it. 

The title may seem a tad odd at first, but it really highlights how overrated Jones has been in recent years, how DC was tailor-made for him, and how the 135lbs division is vastly more advanced than the 205lbs division. The narrator could have also mentioned the decline of the Jackson Wink gym, but otherwise it's a superb video in my opinion. I've personally believed for a while that Jones, Gusty, DC, etc' ability do not match their reputations. 

If you can't be arsed watching it, the narrator's main points about Jones are:

- He panics when under fire from his opponents. 

- He doesn't throw punches in combos. 

- He struggles with kickers.

- His game works best against fighters who follow him by plodding forward in a straight line and allow him to land his linear kicks/circle out (DC, Glover, etc). 

Edited by jimufctna24

Ive somehow made it all the way through the video, and thought it was a massive pile of horse shit, if Im honest. I cant be bothered to go too much into detail on it, as most of the video is an armchair expert who is cherry picking at minutiae to prove his point. Check out this quote from the vid:

"Jones' resume has big names, but none of his opponents have had even the closest inkling of awareness that Sterling's opponents have had. None of them actively exploited his weakness".

Whats worse, "Closest inkling of awareness" or "working on the intricacies of details of maneuvers"? Hes basically saying that all these former world champions, and countless other elite fighters didnt 'actively exploit his weakness'. All of these world class trainers of his opponents, who have spent probably hundreds of hours analysing Jones and cooking up gameplans against him, dont have 'the closest inkling of awareness'. Maybe they havent done it because Jones is that good and didnt aloow them to?

- He panics when under fire from his opponents. 

- He doesn't throw punches in combos. 

- He struggles with kickers.

- His game works best against fighters who follow him by plodding forward in a straight line and allow him to land his linear kicks/circle out (DC, Glover, etc). 

'Plodding foward' somehow allowed DC to beat everyone in his path apart from Jones and Stipe. Guys like Gusty and Glover have somehow managed to get good records by plodding foward in straight lines as well. Again, how about missing the whole point that Jones is so good that he can neutralize these guys like almost no one else could.

Would you not panic when someone like Glover or Reyes are throwing bombs at you? All of these points are obsurd, in my opinion, as he still beat everyone put in front of him. He may 'struggle', 'panic' and 'not throw combos', yet still beat two generations of the elite.

Sterling was on a way to a loss in his last fight, which must make Yan the greatest of all time according to this guy. Ive spent far too much time on this already, but one final point. The crux of this argument is basically '135>205' in terms of opponents, so lets take a gander at Sterlings last five opponents/wins:

- Yan (Sterling was heading for a loss)
- Sandhagen (2-0 since Sterling)
- Munhoz (1-1 since Sterling and lost to a past it Edgar)
- Rivera (1-2 since Sterling)
- Stamman (2-2-1 since Sterling)

Doesnt look favourable against the murderers row of talent that Jones has fought recently or in the past either.

Edited by Dai