Youtube cool finds thread

Egg Shen

The Ranallo documentary is really interesting. It is difficult to watch at times, especially the scenes after the Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight where Mauro is clearly struggling with his mental health. There are, however, scenes that are really touching. 

He's always been a bit marmite. Some find his enthusiasm endearing. Others find it overbearing. Personally, I have always had a soft spot for him. He was Pride's lead announcer when I started following MMA properly in 2005. As I waded through Pride's back catalogue, in particular the events they hosted in 2003 and 2004, he was usually present to call the action. Thus, for me, he was the voice of Pride FC. 

I felt his commentary declined a bit in Strikeforce. He had a habit of overusing pop culture references. But to be fair, the Strikeforce commentary booth was a mess. Gus Johnson was pretty terrible. A two man booth with Mauro and Pat Miletich would have probably worked much better. I haven't heard much of his recent work for Showtime Boxing, but I haven't minded his work for Bellator alongside Big John. I certainly prefer him to Mike Goldberg.

Regardless, whatever he does going forward, he'll always be remembered in MMA circles for this. Probably the most famous call in MMA history.

Edited by jimufctna24

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

any decent Youtube channel recommendations?

I'll throw one in, Dan Hardy's Full Reptile channel is really good and worth subsribing too. He's got a team working with him doing breakdowns, video blogs, podcasts etc. well worth checking.

Any others?

21 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

any decent Youtube channel recommendations?

I recommend Jack Slack's channel. He can be a bit of a killjoy, and when he has it in for someone he doesn't let it lie, but he's very knowledgeable and offers some great insight. His breakdown videos, in particular, are usually fantastic.  - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2i7H-EzzpQLeaj3Qplatjw

Bas Rutten's channel,is also worth a look. You can view all of his fights in Pancrase. - https://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialBasRutten

I don't keep up or really follow MMA anywhere near as much as I used to and this may very well be old news, but I saw this video for the first time the other day and thought it was tremendous.  In the spirit of Genki Sudo, Andy Nguyen's awesome entrance from Rizin.  Screaming Pride lady on ring announcing duties makes it all the more better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

This is kind of cool. Behind the scenes with Dan Henderson before his fight with Bustamante at the 2003 Pride Grand Prix. 

Just noticed my last post in this thread was a Hendo video as well. I guess I go back to his highlights a fair bit. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Yeah Hendo just blitzed him. I seem to recall thinking it was a bit of an early stoppage but I haven’t seen it in years so my memory is hazy on that fight. The rematch at Shockwave 2005 went the distance and was really close. Hendo had a few iffy decisions his way around that time. I remember thinking Yuki Kondo was unlucky to not get the nod against him and maybe Bustamante too. People forget now but there was a time when Hendo was nicknamed ‘Decision Dan’. 

• Paid Members

I'm sure yiz all know of this, and somebody has already posted it (but I can't find it) but this is a pretty fucking wonderful channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZBhYdrkmHA_a52RXmRujHA

The mini-docs are incredible and I reckon the rug will be pulled from under this channel by the powers that be very soon. Props to the Big Franny, T-Ferg and Gaethje ones, in particular: