Youtube cool finds thread

Egg Shen

8 minutes ago, Dai said:

'Plodding foward' somehow allowed DC to beat everyone in his path apart from Jones and Stipe. Guys like Gusty and Glover have somehow managed to get good records by plodding foward in straight lines as well.

The narrator didn't apply that point to Gusty. In fact, he said that Gusty gave Jones trouble in the first bout by doing the opposite. 

11 minutes ago, Dai said:

Sterling was on a way to a loss in his last fight, which must make Yan the greatest of all time according to this guy.

The current version of Yan perhaps is one of the best fighter MMA has seen to date. 

He looked like a monster against Sterling. 

14 minutes ago, Dai said:

Doesnt look favourable against the murderers row of talent that Jones has fought recently or in the past either.

Eh? 

Santos and Smith didn't crack the top 10 at Middleweight before they moved up. Santos has also lost twice since running Jones close.

Reyes has since been stopped by Jiri and Jan. 

Gusty lost his last two fights to an old Werdum and Smith. 

Are we talking about Jones now, or Jones overall? Saying Sterling is a better fighter than Jones implies to me that he means taking everything into consideration, and not just the current versions. If its the current version of Jones, then comparing this version of Jones, who has had ten years worth of championship fights under his belt, is a bit silly and pointless. I dont think theres anyone who thinks Jones now is the best version of him. Also, the guy in the vid is clearly one of those who shits on the 'old guard', so is completley discounting guys like Lyoto, Shogun, Vitor etc, as one dimensional or basic fighters.

It all boils down to this statement to me, and if you agree with it or not:

"Jones' resume has big names, but none of his opponents have had even the closest inkling of awareness that Sterling's opponents have had. None of them actively exploited his weakness".

If you believe that none of the huge amount of title challangers that Jones has had come close to guys like Pedro Munhoz and Jimmie Rivera in terms of competition, then good luck to you.

50 minutes ago, Dai said:

It all boils down to this statement to me, and if you agree with it or not:

"Jones' resume has big names, but none of his opponents have had even the closest inkling of awareness that Sterling's opponents have had. None of them actively exploited his weakness".

Do I agree with that statement entirely? No, it's too hyperbolic. I do believe that the 135lbs division is superior to the 205lbs division though, which has been weak for a good few years now. 

I also don't necessarily agree with the 5 names he picked as Jones's best opponents. For example, I don't think Glover is better than the 2011 version of Shogun or Machida. 

50 minutes ago, Dai said:

Are we talking about Jones now, or Jones overall? Saying Sterling is a better fighter than Jones implies to me that he means taking everything into consideration, and not just the current versions. If its the current version of Jones, then comparing this version of Jones, who has had ten years worth of championship fights under his belt, is a bit silly and pointless. I dont think theres anyone who thinks Jones now is the best version of him. 

Why is it pointless and silly when many still believe that Jones is still the best fighter in the world? As examples, the UFC and Sherdog still have ranked number 1 P4P, despite him not looking particularly impressive in recent years. 

Based on their full careers, Jones is the better and greater fighter. He used to fight very differently and has achieved a lot more. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• 1 year later...
  • Paid Members

Stumbled on to this on Youtube. 1920s demonstration of Savate (or French boxing) - from what I remember, it developed from various sources, like French street-fighting, and also kicks from when French sailors came back from the Far East, most notably Korea. Never actually seen it done, but it looks odd - according to commenters, Bruce Lee worked a few of its techniques into JKD.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I believe Savate was also the discipline of UFC 1 finalist Gerard Gordeau. Although I don’t think him biting Royce in the final would fall under any Savate ruleset. 

Yeh, was reading about that, because, with most videos on martial arts that aren't BJJ or kickboxing or wrestling, you always get a bunch of Dunning-Kruger White-Belts slagging it off in the comments (I know, I know, I should never read comments, but sometimes you do find useful bits on technique or trivia) - one guy tried the usual thing of saying "This wouldn't work in MMA", and got shut down by someone mentioning Gordeau got to the final of UFC 1, only losing to Gracie (which, obviously, was nothing to be ashamed of at the time). 

However, reading about Gordeau, it seems that he didn't see himself as primarily a savateur - he was a karateka as well.

• Paid Members

Yeah you’re right. I’ve just been reading a few bits myself. Think the matchmakers back in 93 just went with Savate for Gordeau because it fit the ‘one disciple’ vs ‘another discipline’ theme they were going for in the very early days. When really, even back then you had guys knocking around who had more than one string to their bow and were ‘mixed martial artists’ before the term really existed, although obviously not to the extent we see today.