The Worst Gimmick Match Concept Ever

Liam O'Rourke

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator

Good show this week. Best Gimmick Match Concepts next week, perhaps? Or the Wrestling Movies idea floated about on the show (if so, it should consist mostly of PowerButchi's Russell Madness review).

On the episode itself:

Loved - G's reaction to the rules of the Dupp Cup. Hilarious! Probably my favourite SCG moment of the year so far. It was also great to hear him stick to his guns re the shitness of scaffold matches. I'm with you, G!

Intrigued by - the 'oooh' reaction to Tiger Rick's reference to Jim Cornette's career being as dead as the Scaffold Match, like he'd crossed a line for suggesting Cornette's irrelevant. I'd be interested to hear the argument against that!

Not so keen on - in the past few episodes, there's been a bit of a tendency to lean towards the 'lad lad lad' style of humour. It may just be my personal preference as I don't like that style, but it can come across a little cringey (not strictly 'lad lad lad', but Kieran's paedophile joke in his intro this week is an example, I found that a bit unnecessary). I know there's a tendency towards it when it's all blokes around the oaken table with a predominantly male audience, but I've had experience of this through my (mostly male) improv group when we've been (rightly) called on it by audience members after shows, and so it's something we can now be more aware of avoiding slipping into. You guys are better than that, is the point I'm trying to make.

Similarly, without wanting to sound like an overly sensitive whinger, I do take issue with the use of the word 'retarded' to describe stupid or bad things, which came up a couple of times this week. There are loads of other words you could use to convey the same thing that don't have the connotations 'retarded' does. Again, you guys are better than that.

(I've already said this but I really don't want to come across as a moaner. I'm a loyal listener and I love the show. Just maybe something to take on board. I moan out of love!)

(And am very much hoping the next episode won't start with "hi, I'm Liam O'Rourke, and some twat on the UKFF thinks this... Well, sod you, you PC twat" or anything like that, because that would make me turn off!)

• Paid Members

Just remembered I asked Dave Taylor about the Junkyard Brawl:]

He also took part in an infamous "junkyard battle royale" for the WCW hardcore title and was one of the few participants who enjoyed the experience. "I loved it! I thought it were the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life because I just kept running up and hitting Knobbs of the Nasty Boys with a hubcap. I just kept rolling about in tyres."

It didn't go so well for everyone however. "It were a genuine junkyard out of town. We went there during the day to look at it and we had to plan escape routes for the finish when explosions went off. I'm looking at all these cars and I said 'Look, don't anybody slam anyone through these windscreens because it's laminated glass and when it breaks it's like a bunch of knives sticking straight up.' When the match starts, first thing that happens, one of the Mexicans backdropped somebody into the windscreen. He couldn't get off the windscreen because he was pinned to it."

I want to thank everybody for the contributions, we got to read many of them on the show, which is now available at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/xrjsh8/SCGRadio72-TheWorstGimmickMatchConceptEver.mp3

Join us our show on The Worst Gimmick Match Concepts Ever, as the panel discuss every ridiculous stipulation under the sun, including Kennel From Hell, the Punjabi Prison, TNA's multiple horrific offerings, King Of The Road, Chamber of Horrors, Inferno Matches, Scaffold Matches, the San Francisco 49ers match, World War 3, the Anus Explosion Death Match (seriously) and many, many more, in search of the very worst one ever created. A tremendously fun show this week, check it out and let us know what you think!

• Paid Members

Join us our show on The Worst Gimmick Match Concepts Ever, as the panel discuss every ridiculous stipulation under the sun, including Kennel From Hell, the Punjabi Prison, TNA's multiple horrific offerings, King Of The Road, Chamber of Horrors, Inferno Matches, Scaffold Matches, the San Francisco 49ers match, World War 3, the Anus Explosion Death Match (seriously) and many, many more, in search of the very worst one ever created. A tremendously fun show this week, check it out and let us know what you think!

Me vs the bog this morning? How did you know about that?

Seriously, been really enjoying the podcast the last couple of weeks after finally giving it a go. It's the only wrestling related thing I actually bother to seek out these days, to be totally honest.

You bastards. I'd mercifully forgotten all about the Dupps and the Dupp Cup until this podcast. You also forced me to remember Cheex, the wrestler who looked like what would happen if Mark Henry ate the Big Show. My therapy bill's in the mail.

• Paid Members

"Kennel from Hell" might have been great if they had some vicious bastard, have your legs off, Alsations on the outside, rather than the timid ones that were used. Somebody should try the match again.

If anyone does, it will be Big Japan I reckon.

They should re-do the Kennel From Hell match but instead of dogs outside the cage it's just loads of pictures of Scott Hall at various stages of his life

• Paid Members

Have any of the Manchester-based promotions like Futureshock ever done a Canal From Hell match?

I'll get me coat.

I think it's only a matter of time before "The Pusher" becomes a heel gimmick.

Archived