The Worst Gimmick Match Concept Ever

Liam O'Rourke

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Reverse battle royal?

Nah, that requires them to get into the ring.

Also, I think First Blood matches are a bit shit. Even in an era when they tone down the blood, it doesn't really feel like much of a deal, mainly because it doesn't look impactful like going through a table, I guess. Not to mention it all goes tits up if someone gets busted up hardway.

• Paid Members

Or the WWE's favourite of no holds barred matches and they either have submission holds broken by the ropes or the referee stops the choking on the ropes/breaks up turnbuckle punches after 10. Ridiculous.

You know there's no rule in wrestling about only being allowed 10 turnbuckle punches, right?

It's just done for the crowd to count along and get involved, with the babyface punishing the heel.

In standard matches the referee actually just gives them a normal 5-count to get out of the corner.

If they hit 11 they get DQ'ed I just assumed it was a rule. Seen it in a few matches. Or I might have imagined it.

• Paid Members

Am i completely imagining things or did TNA (yes, them again) put on a 'reverse pinfall match' where you won by getting your opponent to pin yourself for the three?

EDIT:

Whilst searching for this match, i came across this absolute doozy. Taken from Impact tapins last Summer;

Match 13) A reverse elimination match occurred.
– Before this match, Jeremy Borash called it a “reverse elimination match” where the first person who gets a pin gets to leave the match leaving the other two to wrestle.
– DJ Z pinned Manik got to leave the match, giving him first place I assume and the overall “victor.”
– Tigre Uno pinned Manik later following a split-legged corkscrew splash and was announced the winner.

Am i completely imagining things or did TNA (yes, them again) put on a 'reverse pinfall match' where you won by getting your opponent to pin yourself for the three?

EDIT:

Whilst searching for this match, i came across this absolute doozy. Taken from Impact tapins last Summer;

Match 13) A reverse elimination match occurred.

– Before this match, Jeremy Borash called it a “reverse elimination match” where the first person who gets a pin gets to leave the match leaving the other two to wrestle.

– DJ Z pinned Manik got to leave the match, giving him first place I assume and the overall “victor.”

– Tigre Uno pinned Manik later following a split-legged corkscrew splash and was announced the winner.

That was for the World Title Series. They were all tied, so it was which two guys got a pin/submission got through the group stage. Hope that clears it up

• Paid Members

TNA also had the amazing barbed wire Christmas tree match that I think was called 'Silent night, hole-ee night'. It featured Abyss, Shark Boy, Rellik (that's killer spelled backwards) and, I think, a chonged out Dustin Rhodes.

There were presents around the ring filled with weapons. Well fine. However, there was a fuck off Christmas tree made of barbed wire hanging from the ceiling, wobbling and weebling to and fro and essentially preventing anyone from using the centre of the ring.

This was obviously worked barbed wire as well. This became abundantly clear as Shark Boy was whipped into the barbed wire tree and did the same bump that I used to do off the side of the bouncy castle at Bognor Butlins.

In this absurd match with no crowd reaction, Abyss decided to take some bumps in tacs and glass because he's a throbbing remroid.

• Paid Members

The Widowmaker? Is that Dan Spivey under the hood? And isn't Black Rain the name Dustin used in TNA when he ws teaming with Rellik (which I'm led to believe is "killer" spelt backwards)?

The Widowmaker? Is that Dan Spivey under the hood? And isn't Black Rain the name Dustin used in TNA when he ws teaming with Rellik (which I'm led to believe is "killer" spelt backwards)?

The Widowmaker was big Barry Windham's 1989 gimmick in the WWF. Also the name was given to Sean O' Haire's 2003 WWE finisher. But your right about Black Reign being Dustin's awful TNA run.

Archived