UFC 196: McGregor vs Diaz

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only thing I'd say is, Nate isn't a guy who's going to smother you with strength. He's not going to hold you up against the fence, or put you on your back, like some of the 170'ers would. Similarly, he hasn't got crazy, touch of death power either.

For a ridiculous fight at 170, it's probably the least ridiculous on offer. I'd love to know what they both weigh right now.

• Paid Members

I thought it'd be Diaz but 170lbs is nuts. I read this morning that Conor refused Cerrone but this was just on some newz thing that someone had posted on facebook.

Don't see this being a close affair in the slightest. McGregor will breeze through him.

• Paid Members

170lbs? Fucking hell.

I know we've got modern sports science and all that, but is he really going to be coming back to 145lbs at some point to defend that belt against Edgar? I personally think he gives that belt up if he loses to Dos Anjos.

That was my thought. If he wins at WW, surely he never returns to FW. In his head I bet it goes Diaz, RDA, Lawler.

Which, thinking about it, all of a sudden makes the 3 weight simultaneous champ a lot more feasible!

I love this fight more than the RDA fight. Might only have two weeks to build it but just means they're gonna go at it x 10. When's that conference with everybody? You know it's gonna properly kick off then. This is a easier fight to hype for the UFC in terms of adverts and stuff, all your LadBible, Sports Bible, UniLad, type pages are gonna be posting those press conference and stare down hilights more than usual cos you just know the amount of shit thats gonna go down, you've got plenty of clips of Nate being one bad motherfucker to in the Octagon, swearing and destroying people in the most brutal fashion. That triangle choke where he's flipping the bird simultaneously is a clip that comes to mind.

Nates a tough motherfucker too and deep down one of my favourite Fighters ever purely cos he's so entertaining, he's got a solid chin, he's only been Ko'd once right, b Josh Thompson? Plus his striking is ridiculously good. You know these two are just gonna stand, bang and be bullying each other verbally in the octagon. This is too fucking great man. What a fight!

Even if Nate beats McGregor it might damage McGregor's stock a bit but there's plenty of excuses for McGregor and then you've got a beautiful rematch to build to.

EDIT: BBC are covering this to - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/35643008

• Paid Members

As a spectacle I prefer this fight as the promotion is going to unreal this next week. As a fight, from an entertainment perspective, it will probably be better too as we have to guys who won't take the fight to the ground. With RDA there was the distinct possibility we could have a repeat of what we saw against Pettis.

From a competitive stand point, and with the potential of seeing history, it's gutting Mcgregor/RDA isn't happening (for now).

It's interesting with the bbc article as if you go directly to the BBC sport homepage, it's right near the top as one of their biggest stories. It's interesting to how much further they will go with it. 

It's interesting with the bbc article as if you go directly to the BBC sport homepage, it's right near the top as one of their biggest stories. It's interesting to how much further they will go with it. 

They've got nothing on Frampton/Quigg at all on the homepage either. V interesting indeed. 

The first time UFC related news has appeared on there rolling 'Sportsday' coverage to - 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/35106649

8:41 for anyone interested.

• Paid Members

It's going to be an absolutely fascinating fight though. 

This is going to be the first time Mcgregor has gone up against a much bigger fighter, with Diaz being 6ft and having a 76inch reach. Mcgregor is 5ft 9 with a 74 inch reach. Mcgregor will rely on his speed advantage and will try to get in and out creating angles. His kicks could be a big factor too along with his power. That said, fuck knows how his power translates two weight classes up. 

He really must have balls of steel. 

Don't see this being a close affair in the slightest. McGregor will breeze through him.

Yeah regardless of the weight, it should be easy work for McGregor, Nate has nothing that should bother him. 

I'm really looking forward to watching this one unfold. To think there was a time when I thought Conor was getting an easy ride to the top. How wrong could I have been!? He has such a refreshing attitude to the game. Hopefully it starts to rub off on others. 

• Paid Members

I'm confident Mcgregor will win, but I'm not sure it will be easy. It could be easy, as I can't doubt Conor, but there's so many unknown variables with the fight. If you put Diaz in a stand up fight, has he ever been comfortably beaten? The guys he's lost to were either those with a smothering style, or were absolute monsters at welterweight (Macdonald etc). 

In regards to David above, Nate's ground game is without question dangerous to Mcgregor. I'm just not sure this ever goes to the ground without someone being in serious trouble first. 

Archived