UFC 196: McGregor vs Diaz

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It's relevant because asking for it to be an interim title fight, just because it's Conor McGregor, when the champion has recently defended his title, is pretty much deliberately creating an angle - it's introducing an element that wouldn't occur in any other situation, purely for the purpose of promotion, nothing more. That's as pro-wrestling as it gets.

I understand your comparison, I just think you're shoe horning it into to somehow being like a pro wrestling angle. Couldn't you really apply that logic to pretty much anything that involves any form of decision making? 

• Paid Members

I think he meant moving the Silva/Bisping fight to the card.

Again, no chance. That fight is huge for the future of FightPass.

Silva has already left Brazil for England. He'd literally be turning around in the air and heading back.

• Paid Members

I think he meant moving the Silva/Bisping fight to the card.

Again, no chance. That fight is huge for the future of FightPass.

Silva has already left Brazil for England. He'd literally be turning around in the air and heading back.

He's actually landed and signing posters for the event already. It definitely won't happen, I doubt Bisping would agree to moving the fight from his home country either. 

As David says, there's too much for the future of fight pass riding on this event. 

• Paid Members

It's relevant because asking for it to be an interim title fight, just because it's Conor McGregor, when the champion has recently defended his title, is pretty much deliberately creating an angle - it's introducing an element that wouldn't occur in any other situation, purely for the purpose of promotion, nothing more. That's as pro-wrestling as it gets.

I understand your comparison, I just think you're shoe horning into to somehow being like a pro wrestling angle. Couldn't you really apply that logic to pretty much anything that involves any form of decision making? 

Depends on how you view the context. For me, it's introducing a fixed element to a combat sport to affect viewings, hence I see it as pro-wrestling-y.

• Paid Members

Absolute fucking bastard!

Jose Aldo has turned down the fight.

Don't blame him one bit. No doubt he'll be being accused of being terrified for turning it down but for all we know he mightn't have been training at all since UFC 194. If he ever rematches McGregor he'll want to maximise his chances as much as he possibly can, obviously. Why would he jump in on less than two weeks notice against McGregor? It's a bit different for someone like Pettis (coming off losses, nothing to lose and a huge opportunity). And Cerrone and Diaz are nuts and always either training or fighting. None of them have ever fought McGregor, Aldo is already 0-1 down to him. Jumping in on short notice now would be good for the bank balance but if he came in underprepared (can't see how he could be prepared in less than two weeks) and lost then he's 0-2 against McGregor and he's never getting a third crack.

This is why I think it'll have to be Cerrone or Diaz. They're the types who are nuts enough to take a fight like this on silly notice.

• Paid Members

Yep, Aldo would be last name on the list for me.

The guy was properly KO'd and more than likely is probably enjoying the benefits of the fat cheque he got for his last fight.

Also in true idiotic Diaz style, Nate has tweeted "He's going to have to get on his knees and beg".

The fucking idiot has been crying out for a pay day, the chance arises, and now pulls this. Moron.

It's also worth remembering that Aldo was suspended from any contact during training until January 27th, and suspended from actual fighting until twelve days ago. Couple that with the fact that he's had no fight to prepare for and there's a good chance he'd be nowhere near fight shape.

Jim Edwards who writes for Guardian/Mirror (BTW He's a bit of a cunt and regularly does following sprees on twitter, racks up followers who've back and then unfollows you just to boost his profile) claiming both Frankie and Aldo have turned it down and that Connor's claimed he's 100% fighting and at 155.

Also: "UFC president Dana White told Yahoo Sports Tuesday that McGregor will remain in the main event and that he is working on a replacement opponent for dos Anjos. He said the fight will be at 155 pounds but that he is not sure whether or not it will be for an interim championship. The women's bantamweight title fight between Holly Holm and Miesha Tate will remain the co-main event, White said."

Did Aldo not release a statement saying he would fight McGregor any time and any place not long ago? Looks like a right dick now if he's turned it down.

Not that I blame him for turning it down but a daft statement to make if you're going to knock it back.

Did Aldo not release a statement saying he would fight McGregor any time and any place not long ago? Looks like a right dick now if he's turned it down.

Not that I blame him for turning it down but a daft statement to make if you're going to knock it back.

You'd be correct, don't worry fella the F4W boards already re-printed it, here you go :)

"For everything I have done, everything I have accepted and mostly how the fight ended, I will not accept any other fight other than a title shot," Aldo wrote in January. "My only exception would be fighting (McGregor), at any time, anywhere, and once that he is afraid and knows that I'm gonna win... Doesn't have to be title fight against him. Keep my belt, but I wanna whoop (your) ass anywhere."

Archived