UFC 196: McGregor vs Diaz

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Irrespective of RDA's last defence, I think what could be a big factor in why this becomes an interim title fight is just the cost of the tickets. If fans have spent up to $1800 dollars on a ticket, that ticket has to represent value. If it doesn't, you may see a lot of returns and refunds. 

In that case they'd be setting a precedent for every single title fight that falls through, and we'd end up with interim titles all over the place. 

Would we be discussing this if it were Holly Holm who'd dropped out against Meisha? Or Robbie Lawler if he'd dropped out against Condit? Of course not.

The idea of an interim title fight when the actual champion defended the belt only three months previously is mental.

I agree in principal, but those fighters that you've pointed out don't have the extortionate ticket prices that recent Mcgregor fights have charged. A Lawler or Holm title fight alone doesn't come with $1800 ticket prices. A Mcgregor fight does. 

I wouldn't like the idea either, but I think they may do it for the people who have stumped up the cash. 

Regarding FUM's post, you may be right. Which I think is even more of a reason to make an interim fight. 

I guess we'll see, but I'd be incredibly shocked if they went down that road, considering Dos Anjos defended the title in December. 

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Have to agree with David on this. It was justifiable giving Conor an interim FW title match because Aldo got injured so often and fought so infrequently. RDA's been an active champion, and he's not a sicknote.

Besides, if we're looking at this from a promotional, "pro-wrestling" perspective, surely we wouldn't want the same angle re-hashed so soon?

We'll see McGregor either face Cerrone or Diaz probably, then go on to face Dos Anjos in a few months, or we may even see McGregor pull out altogether as well! I wouldn't blame him if he did that, as he really has nothing to gain from beating Diaz or Cerrone, does he? He has a shitload to lose though.

• Paid Members

Have to agree with David on this. It was justifiable giving Conor an interim FW title match because Aldo got injured so often and fought so infrequently. RDA's been an active champion, and he's not a sicknote.

Besides, if we're looking at this from a promotional, "pro-wrestling" perspective, surely we wouldn't want the same angle re-hashed so soon?

I can't really see how that's relevant to be honest carbomb? It's not pro wrestling and ultimately it wasn't an angle. Re hashing something in a real life scenario doesn't have the same ramifications of rehashing something that's scripted.

As mentioned, I agree with David that an interim title shoudn't be needed, but I'm just thinking from a paying fans perspective.

A genuine question, how would you (and David of course) feel if you have paid for flights, hotels and say on average for a decent ticket of $500 to $1000 and never got to see what was advertised? I know i'd be devastated if something of similar significance didn't go ahead for that price. Would the promise of an interim title soften the blow? For me it would, irrespective of RDA's injury record. 

I dunno - if Diaz is on promotional form, they both gain lots of moolah than a regular Conor vs. not-so-charismatic fighter match would draw.

It depends on what he's wanting though, doesn't it? If it's the title in order to make history, then why take the risk of facing Diaz on short notice? Is it really worth it?

If he's all about the McGregor brand then taking risks like that may not be the best idea. If he loses a fight to someone like Diaz then it takes the shine off him pretty substantially. Certainly more so than a loss to an Aldo or Dos Anjos. At least those guys are & were champions.

Diaz is an upper-mid level lightweight fighter who's been handled on a few occasions. 

A genuine question, how would you (and David of course) feel if you have paid for flights, hotels and say on average for a decent ticket of $500 to $1000 and never got to see what was advertised? I know i'd be devastated if something of similar significance didn't go ahead for that price. Would the promise of an interim title soften the blow? For me it would, irrespective of RDA's injury record. 

I'd be pissed off, but I'd have known the risks. As a fan of the sport you know that fights fall through, guys get injured.

What wouldn't make any difference to me would be slapping a fake, shitty interim title on the line between a guy who's never fought at 155lbs and one of two guys who've been manhandled by the actual champion not too long ago.

I'd likely just go along and enjoy the spectacle of a McGregor fight.

• Paid Members

Even in the business-trumps-sports-fairness world of UFC, I don't see how you can say a guy who's never fought at 155 in UFC against the #6 ranked contender in the division could be for an interim title.

Yep, there's no way a Diaz fight deserves an interim title fight. Cerrone on the other hand, perhaps.

Gotta agree with David, an interim title in this situation makes no sense. dos Anjos fought only recently and isn't exactly going to be on a Velasquez/Cruz type layoff. Plus (if vs Cerrone) it cheapens the fight by having the guy who just lost the last LW title fight in convincing and almost embarrassing fashion.

The FW interim title made sense as Aldo hadn't fought for a year and has bones made of sugar glass.

Am I in the minority actually hoping that McGregor doesn't fight at all until Dos Anjos is fit? I know people have made plans and all that jazz, but I hate seeing fighters being somewhat hassled into accepting an opponent at short-notice, with it being insinuated that if they don't they've shat it or aren't "real fighters".

I want to see McGregor vs Dos Anjos, not McGregor vs Diaz or Cerrone.

• Paid Members

MOM, to be clear, I'm not disagreeing with David. I agree with him 100% that an interim title cheapens the whole thing and makes it a joke.

My point is simply will the UFC panic due to money involved in this event and create an interim title? It's the money involved that seperates it from every other normal title fight. 

To put the price of tickets into perpective, I paid $180 for first tier (great view) seats to see Jones vs Sonnen. However, these tickets are a fortune in comparison. 

Edit: David, I'm desperate to see Mcgregor/RDA, as it's one of a few real superfights the UFC can do. However, I think we will still see the fight when RDA is fit. Granted there's a risk, but I'd like to think that if Mcgregor can't beat Diaz or Cerrone, then it shouldn't have happened to begin with. Imagine how big the RDA fight will be if Mcgregor dispatches Cerrone or Diaz with ease?

The thing is Lamby, any attempt to slap an interim title on this would just look desperate and cheap. You're talking about a guy who's never fought at 155lbs most likely facing an opponent that the current champion, who fought only three months ago, has already handled with ease.

• Paid Members

Am I in the minority actually hoping that McGregor doesn't fight at all until Dos Anjos is fit? I know people have made plans and all that jazz, but I hate seeing fighters being somewhat hassled into accepting an opponent at short-notice, with it being insinuated that if they don't they've shat it or aren't "real fighters".

I want to see McGregor vs Dos Anjos, not McGregor vs Diaz or Cerrone.

I totally agree. If its a short lay off then he'd be better sitting out and waiting for the fight to happen. What does he gain from fighting a guy further down the pecking order on short notice.

Archived