UFC 196: McGregor vs Diaz

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

The thing is Lamby, any attempt to slap an interim title on this would just look desperate and cheap. You're talking about a guy who's never fought at 155lbs most likely facing an opponent that the current champion, who fought only three months ago, has already handled with ease.

That's why I've said in the post above yours I agree with you. 

I edited the post just as you posted your message too as to why I would like to see Mcgregor actually fight at 155 now, and not necessarily for the interim title.  

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a fucking risk and a half though, isn't it? He's basically risking a multi-million dollar brand on beating someone who's possibly competed at 170lbs not too long ago and who isn't really ranked as a lightweight contender.

A loss to Dos Anjos can be recovered from, as he's the champion and has been beating everyone. A loss to Nate Diaz? You're talking about a guy who's been handled pretty frequently. I'd actually rank such a fight as being more risky than his fight with Siver. At least Siver was small and reasonably predictable. Diaz or Cerrone are bigger, and more unpredictable.

In short, fuck that.

• Paid Members

Yep, it's definitely a risk, but so was Mcgregor taking the Mendes fight. It could have fucked up so many things if Mendes came in, KO'd him flat, or just wrestled him to the mat for 25 minutes.

It really is a tricky situation. If you asked me if I were Mcrgregor, what would I do? I would probably wait it out till RDA was healed up since RDA isn't historically a sick note. Plus it's a chance to make history.

However, the problem is it goes against the brand Mcgregor has created, the "i will beat any man alive" mantra and that if he signs to fight, he shows up. 

It really is a fucking massive shame as whilst it was a pipe dream, the potential thought of Mcgregor winning this belt and insanely fighting Robbie Lawler at UFC 200 to possibly hold 3 titles was starting to make my pants twitch. 

• Paid Members

The thing is Lamby, any attempt to slap an interim title on this would just look desperate and cheap. You're talking about a guy who's never fought at 155lbs most likely facing an opponent that the current champion, who fought only three months ago, has already handled with ease.

Yeah. To me it doesn't make sense but, more importantly, it doesn't make a difference. Seeing someone other than RDA fight Mcgregor isn't any worse than seeing someone other than RDA fight Mcgregor for a meaningless interim title.

• Paid Members

Have to agree with David on this. It was justifiable giving Conor an interim FW title match because Aldo got injured so often and fought so infrequently. RDA's been an active champion, and he's not a sicknote.

Besides, if we're looking at this from a promotional, "pro-wrestling" perspective, surely we wouldn't want the same angle re-hashed so soon?

I can't really see how that's relevant to be honest carbomb? It's not pro wrestling and ultimately it wasn't an angle. Re hashing something in a real life scenario doesn't have the same ramifications of rehashing something that's scripted.

As mentioned, I agree with David that an interim title shoudn't be needed, but I'm just thinking from a paying fans perspective.

A genuine question, how would you (and David of course) feel if you have paid for flights, hotels and say on average for a decent ticket of $500 to $1000 and never got to see what was advertised? I know i'd be devastated if something of similar significance didn't go ahead for that price. Would the promise of an interim title soften the blow? For me it would, irrespective of RDA's injury record. 

It's relevant because asking for it to be an interim title fight, just because it's Conor McGregor, when the champion has recently defended his title, is pretty much deliberately creating an angle - it's introducing an element that wouldn't occur in any other situation, purely for the purpose of promotion, nothing more. That's as pro-wrestling as it gets.

As a paying fan, an interim title fight wouldn't soften the blow, for two salient reasons:

1. I'd not be getting the actual match that was advertised, i.e. RDA vs. Conor McGregor. The championship is just a marker - it's there to point out who's officially the best in their division. In this case, that's Dos Anjos, and the best contender is Conor McGregor, which makes their match the most appealing. An interim belt challenge slapped on a less appealing match makes no difference to me.

2. I'd know why they made it an interim title fight, which, given that I know what circumstances these fights normally occur, would just feel bullshitty and pointless. 

Most importantly, though, as a fan, if I had forked out all that cash to attend the show, I'd be disappointed, but I wouldn't suddenly drop to my knees and scream "NOOOOOOOOO" at the sky, because I know that fight cards are subject to change. They've always been that way, regardless of how much one pays or how far one travels. 

Basically, if a hotly-anticipated fight falls through, the most we can expect the UFC to do is make the next possible appealing match. Bending the rules to put some implausible extra stip that makes the winner champion when we know that the real champion only defended his title two months ago doesn't make it more appealing, to my mind - it makes it seem "corrupt" for want of a better word.

Don't misunderstand me: I get that the UFC's a business, and it needs to make business-orientated decisions. But making this match an interim title match would just be silly, because it'd be obvious to everyone why this was done, and I can't imagine it would shift the needle any. 

I imagine everyone with a chance of making that weight has offered to take the fight.

I'm with David though, this isn't like the Mendes situation where he was still a star in waiting, rather than a nailed on star, he now has nothing to gain by beating anyone other than Dos Anjos/Lawler or Edgar. They're the 3 fights for him, and fuck is he taking any of them without a full camp.

Though, with what Conor said about Werdum, I'm not sure he can drop out of his own volition and not look a nob.

Archived