UFC 196: McGregor vs Diaz

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Interim belts seem to handed out willy nilly now so I wouldn't be surprised, for the sake of fans who have paid huge money, to get a lightweight title fight. 

Then, if Mcgregor wins it becomes a champion and er, interim champion vs champion. 

• Paid Members

They need to make it for an Interim belt again. The whole point of the fight is to get Connor with 2 belts. Having him holding it (If he wins) can just add to the build for when RDA is back. Its the exact formula they ended up using for the Aldo fight. Why would they change it

They need to make it for an Interim belt again. The whole point of the fight is to get Connor with 2 belts. Having him holding it (If he wins) can just add to the build for when RDA is back. Its the exact formula they ended up using for the Aldo fight. Why would they change it

Because Aldo would have been out for a year when he pulled out of the McGregor fight, and they usually don't like belts sitting idle for a year or more.

Dos Anjos only fought in December, and will have fought twice in the past year.

• Paid Members

This is a guy who forces the company to change the posters for the events he's on, as well as gets his own post-fight press conferences, standing on Dana's podium. If he demands an interim title, he'll likely get it. He's trained to hold two belts. That's the goal. And giving him it will only make the RDA fight bigger.

EDIT: It might be worth waiting until after the London show. If Anderson smokes Bisping in thirty seconds then Conor would probably ask to face him.

I'd be very surprised if the UFC implement an interim title in this instance, regardless of McGregor's popularity.

In fact, by not doing so when McGregor will undoubtedly ask for it, the UFC would be flexing their power a little, which you have to think they've wanted to do for a while with Conor.

• Paid Members

Irrespective of RDA's last defence, I think what could be a big factor in why this becomes an interim title fight is just the cost of the tickets. If fans have spent up to $1800 dollars on a ticket, that ticket has to represent value. If it doesn't, you may see a lot of returns and refunds. 

Irrespective of RDA's last defence, I think what could be a big factor in why this becomes an interim title fight is just the cost of the tickets. If fans have spent up to $1800 dollars on a ticket, that ticket has to represent value. If it doesn't, you may see a lot of returns and refunds. 

In that case they'd be setting a precedent for every single title fight that falls through, and we'd end up with interim titles all over the place. 

Would we be discussing this if it were Holly Holm who'd dropped out against Meisha? Or Robbie Lawler if he'd dropped out against Condit? Of course not.

The idea of an interim title fight when the actual champion defended the belt only three months previously is mental.

I believe when you buy them it's in the terms and conditions that you can't return for a refund if a fighter pulls out. My mate checked that before booking up, he ended up taking the risk anyway right enough.

• Paid Members

In that case they'd be setting a precedent for every single title fight that falls through, and we'd end up with interim titles all over the place. 

Would we be discussing this if it were Holly Holm who'd dropped out against Meisha? Or Robbie Lawler if he'd dropped out against Condit? Of course not.

The idea of an interim title fight when the actual champion defended the belt only three months previously is mental.

I agree in principal, but those fighters that you've pointed out don't have the extortionate ticket prices that recent Mcgregor fights have charged. A Lawler or Holm title fight alone doesn't come with $1800 ticket prices. A Mcgregor fight does. 

I wouldn't like the idea either, but I think they may do it for the people who have stumped up the cash. 

Regarding FUM's post, you may be right. Which I think is even more of a reason to make an interim fight. 

The bbc are also reporting RDA's injury.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/35643008

Archived