UFC 196: McGregor vs Diaz

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

53 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Well, having been woken up by my son, I thought I mays we'll check twitter.

Mcgregor vs Diaz official...at welterweight. Yep, 170 crazy llbs. Apparently Diaz wanted 165llbs, Mcgregor wanted 160llbs. Then when Mcgregor heard Diaz wasn't budging said make it 170 so Nate could get comfortable. Mcgregor is a maniac!

This is risky for McGregor. Really risky.

Nate is not a power wrestler. He's not going to ragdoll McGregor. It's not his vocation. However, Nate's a big Lightweight. It was only a few years ago that he was operating at Welterweight. McGregor is fighting at a weight that's 15lbs heavier than he's ever fought at, and 25lbs heavier than what he's recently been accustomed to. 

Nate is going to impose his will. His boxing looked sharp last time out. There's only a 2 inch difference in reach - but still - McGregor needs distance, I don't think he wants to have his back against the cage and Diaz swarming in on him. McGregor does have more diversity with his striking, and is much more lighter on his feet. So it's not all bad on paper. 

Josh Gross said it best. There's never been anyone quite like McGregor. His confidence at this time is second to none. It doesn't just show in how he fights, but the decisions he makes outside of the Octagon. For me, only Anderson Silva in his prime comes close to having this sort of conviction, and even he baulked at fighting Jon Jones. 

Edit: I forgot about B.J Penn from 2004-2005. McGregor is up there with him for conviction.

• Paid Members

Apparently Diaz wanted 165llbs, Mcgregor wanted 160llbs. Then when Mcgregor heard Diaz wasn't budging said make it 170 so Nate could get comfortable. Mcgregor is a maniac!

Absolute nutter. I've never known a fighter like him. It'd be one thing if he was just starting out and these risky fights were purely a no lose huge opportunity for him. But he's in a position now where he's the biggest star in the company and he has way more to lose than he has to gain by taking a fight like this. And there's not even a flicker of doubt or hesitance in him accepting the fight.

He's got the power as well. We've seen in the build up to this show with the whole poster thing, McGregor calls his shots more than any other UFC fighter has. He could've got tried to leverage the weight thing more in his favour here but he's gone in the other direction instead and let Nate have it all his own way. You look at the champions in boxing and historically a lot of them were the total opposite to this. Guys like Floyd Mayweather and Sugar Ray Leonard would fight tooth and nail in negotiations on even the most minor points in making a deal for a fight. From the size of the ring to who would walk out first to what gloves they'd wear. Never mind something important like the weight. McGregor's just casually going up two weight classes like it's no big deal. Lunatic.

I love his confidence but there's going to come a point when it backfires. It's refreshing and admirable to see how completely fearless and confident he is to take any fight on short notice, injured or not, up in weight etc. It's all great. Right up to the point when it backfires and you lose a fight you should've won because you're too brave for your own good. That will happen to McGregor eventually. It's not a question of 'if' it's 'when'. I don't think it'll be this fight, I think he beats Nate, but if he continues the way he's going he'll end up losing a fight to one of these last minute replacements who he'd normally spank.

Oh well, McGregor vs Diaz!

That's the silver lining in this. This is really the only kind of circumstance where a fight like this could happen right now. With McGregor as champion at 145 and going for the title at 155, it seemed unlikely that McGregor vs Diaz would happen anytime soon. And even if McGregor had won the title from RDA, you can't rely on Nate to beat another top contender and get a title shot. At least under these circumstances, they can just book this fight now.

I'm assuming McGregor vs Diaz is still the main event, right? Is it five rounds?

• Paid Members

Good. I'm glad they've finally fucked off the idea that a title fight MUST go on last. Your biggest fight on the card should always go on last. Regardless of titles. I really like the Holm vs Tate fight but McGregor vs Diaz absolutely dwarves it.

Unless Conor wants it to go 7.

Nah, he's saving that for his Middleweight debut.

Which happens on the same night he defends the featherweight belt, probably.

This is a no lose for Conor. He is fighting even higher than his usual weight class, not that he would be looking for excuses, but if he were to lose, I don't think it would affect him too much. But then I've only got back into UFC recently so I'm probably talking out of my ringpiece.

If he gets handled by Diaz, regardless of weight, it'll hurt him massively. Diaz isn't in the same league as an Edgar, RDA or Lawler where you go 'well, anyone could lose to those savages'.

I can't believe he's gone welter. What a hilarious, insane, wonderful prick.

170lbs? Fucking hell.

I know we've got modern sports science and all that, but is he really going to be coming back to 145lbs at some point to defend that belt against Edgar? I personally think he gives that belt up if he loses to Dos Anjos.

Archived