John Cena's Retirement (theoretical)

honor87

After watching the edge and Christian podcast and how edges career came to an expected halt due to neck injuries, what direction do you think WWE would go with, as the new top player, if Cena had the unfortunate news that he had to hang his boots up.

Would they make reigns front and centre? Hope to build anyone from NXT?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They'd have to build him a new robot skeleton. They're fucked if they lose Cena. They haven't got the balls to go all-in with making a new proper star, and the niche wrestlers they'll push to quiet the boo boys aren't going to be on Cena's level. Reigns, Ambrose and Ryback can probably do Luger/Bret/Diesel type business even despite the start-stops, and the brand is stronger now than it was then, but there are still a lot of things that are shaky at the moment. I think at the very least, they'd make Cena the authority figure -- USA would probably insist on keeping him onscreen.

Cena would be really good in the role that Hogan had before getting the boot. He could do make a wishes, public and charity events and media appearances and appear on TV semi regularly to so something or other. He would probably be well up for that too as he speaks about wanting to do right by the company more than any big star prior to him really.

If Cena were to have to retire soon, I think Seth Rollins could be the right guy to build as the new hero. A large portion of the audience are ready to cheer him anyway, he seems to sell a lot of merch to the female audience that Jeff Hardy had in the late 2000s and with a smooth transition in to a babyface role, I think the kids would be in to it.

• Paid Members

Yeah, they'd panic. Of the crowd they have at the moment, the most likely to replace Cena - and I hate the thought of it - is The Ryback. He seems more over with kids than anyone else on the roster and they could build him to be a superhero if they wanted to. It would be horrible but they could.

Reigns, of course, is another potential, but they've tried it and it didn't take. Nothing to say it wouldn't work next time out.

Edit: Oh, and they'd throw money at Rey Mysterio again, I'd imagine.

When Cena was a doubt for Summerslam this year with his broken snozz, apparently Orton was going to be chucked in there. So yeah, I imagine the product would be quite ghastly, certainly in the short-term before they figured some shit out.

Maybe if that happened it would be time for HHH to have the priority creative control for the main roster a bit prematurely, as I think he'd be able to stop at least a little of the midcard rot that we have now. HHH generally shows that he can make losers look good and you'd imagine the women's plans would drastically improve too. Plus he'd have a better idea what to do with NXT call-ups, there wouldn't be such a disconnect there anymore.

• Paid Members

They'd just go back to Reigns. He's still popular in all the non-spacker arenas and while they stupidly bottled his title win and then sidelined him, they've never actually done anything to suggest to the audience that he isn't a great fighter. It's redeemable. And that's more than the fuckers deserve.

They'd just go back to Reigns. He's still popular in all the non-spacker arenas and while they stupidly bottled his title win and then sidelined him, they've never actually done anything to suggest to the audience that he isn't a great fighter. It's redeemable. And that's more than the fuckers deserve.

I like Reigns, but is this really that true? He seems to be as popular as every other fucker in the mid-card, not any more or any less.

Come on, are there really such a different group of people going to house shows than there are tapings? I can understand that the likes of New York and Chicago crowds are a bit more vocal, but there can't really be much difference between a house show crowd and a TV taping crowd in Texas, can there?

• Paid Members

I was at Raw last Monday, and the faces who got the best reactions other than Cena/Sting were 1) Ryback (particularly with the kids ), 2) Reigns & Ambrose (as they came out together and didn't wrestle separately it's tough to separate them), 3) Ziggler.

None of whom actually wrestled a match, oddly.

Incidentally, people around me also went nuts for the women (Banks, Nikki & Paige especially), and Big Show got more of a reaction than most, when in the ring.

Come on, are there really such a different group of people going to house shows than there are tapings? I can understand that the likes of New York and Chicago crowds are a bit more vocal, but there can't really be much difference between a house show crowd and a TV taping crowd in Texas, can there?

I don't think there are myself to be honest, people overlook the fact that Reigns often got mixed reactions outside the so-called "spacker towns" just as much as in them.

How many "spacker" towns are there anyway? NY? Chicago? Philly?

• Paid Members

I think reactions to him everywhere have cooled since they failed to pull the trigger but he does get a good pop most weeks. You can instantly tell when they're in a building half filled with contrarians because Reigns gets half booed and Cena gets it worse than usual!

It doesn't matter anyway. Cena's been booed for the last ten years and it hasn't stopped him being the man. It's clear that they were desperate not to have another divisive top baby hence pulling the shit at WM but it will be inevitable unless their next superhero is an Indy guy made good.

If they want their sort of guy, they'll have to measure him on money, not boos. I'm pretty sure Reigns will still get a shot at it - eventually.

I like Reigns, but is this really that true?

Either that's true, or he's paying Meltzer to fabricate house show reports.

Archived