John Cena's Retirement (theoretical)

honor87

My guess is Kevin Owens.

Slightly tweak his manner and have him deliver his promos in a much more friendlier way. Talking about doing this for his kid makes him more appealing to the parents market, telling the kids in attendance that his kid is just like them gets the youngsters in his favour, his indy background and excellent wrestling ability keeps the hardcore fans on side and then play up his friendship with Sami Zayn (quite possibly the most likeable man employed in WWE right now) for a few more brownie points.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come off it. "Telling the kids in attendance that his kid is just like them". The fuck's that? Kids don't want to cheer a Dad, they want to cheer someone cool and larger than life.

As has been mentioned, you can't look for the next Cena because you won't find him. You can find someone who can tick the boxes a main eventer needs to tick, improve on some of Cena's weaknesses and not be as good at Cena at some things. Until they change their approach to booking, introducing characters and the format of the show, they won't find a strong enough main eventer to satisfy them. I suspect Cena getting a lengthy lay off/retiring will be the kick up the arse they need to freshen the whole thing up, and it won't necessarily come whilst Cena is active.

My guess is Kevin Owens.

Slightly tweak his manner and have him deliver his promos in a much more friendlier way. Talking about doing this for his kid makes him more appealing to the parents market, telling the kids in attendance that his kid is just like them gets the youngsters in his favour, his indy background and excellent wrestling ability keeps the hardcore fans on side and then play up his friendship with Sami Zayn (quite possibly the most likeable man employed in WWE right now) for a few more brownie points.

Could the most likeable guy not theoretically be the answer?  Surely Sami would appeal to the indy marks in the same way Owens does. And is a lot more clean cut looking for the mainstream audience? 

Sami Zayn (quite possibly the most likeable man employed in WWE right now) 

really? why?

genuine question, i've never found him particularly likeable. given WWE's recruitment policy over recent years, it will be interesting to see whether the next top guy is an ex-indy darling.

For me Reigns is the next guy but I'd agree with the previous comment about slowing him down and making big moves seem big. Don't agree with the D-Bryan comment though, surely putting Reigns 1vs1 with him will just get the crowd to crap on Reigns, especially when he beats him clean (which he'd have to if the purpose was to establish him as 'the man').

What about Rollins? His in-ring style suits a babyface and I can see him turning when he loses the title.  Maybe a brief feud with HHH/The Authority and then moving on to whoever the top heels are at the time (Rusev? Owens?)

And Owens should definitely stay heel.

Come off it. "Telling the kids in attendance that his kid is just like them". The fuck's that? Kids don't want to cheer a Dad, they want to cheer someone cool and larger than life.

As has been mentioned, you can't look for the next Cena because you won't find him. You can find someone who can tick the boxes a main eventer needs to tick, improve on some of Cena's weaknesses and not be as good at Cena at some things. Until they change their approach to booking, introducing characters and the format of the show, they won't find a strong enough main eventer to satisfy them. I suspect Cena getting a lengthy lay off/retiring will be the kick up the arse they need to freshen the whole thing up, and it won't necessarily come whilst Cena is active.

I agree that the only way someone is going to be able to breakthrough is if Cena is out of the way. The company's hand is then forced to back the new guy (whoever it may be). Not many big headline stars of taken the spot of someone else, there needs to be an opening for them to step in to

• Paid Members

It's far too early to say, obviously, but I could see Apollo Crews in that role eventually. Has the look, the charisma, super marketable, has the indie background, but also the size that WWE looks for, and has a proper athletic background, which they seem to like. 

As I say, far far too early for that, but if I had to pick a guy who they could push in that 'Cena' type role at some point down the line, he ticks all the boxes for me.

• Paid Members

I've never really thought about it before, but Apollo Crews is a great shout. I've never even heard him cut a promo, and I've only ever seen a handful of his matches, but he always looks so fucking happy that it's impossible not to root for him. His fun, athletic style just adds to that. Tonnes of potential. It's a shame he'll be trading wins and losses with Bray Wyatt within the next few years.

Uhaa, sorry Apollo, Pcw in me is probably the nicest guy on the planet,  does some amazing things in the ring, not heard him cut promos in next yet, but he pretty much has the full deck, A face Rollins following the Cena trajectory could also work. Rollins and Crews as top baby's deffo would work, provided Wwe doesnt panic

• Paid Members

I still think the ball was dropped with Reigns when Batista won the Rumble. That was the time to pull the trigger on him and he'd be the megastar by the time the next Mania came round.

I can't believe reigns wouldvr got any different a reaction to big Dave that year. Wed have ended up with the same mania with Bryan winning in the end. The only difference is the massive babyfsce pop Rollins would've got when he hit him with chairs.

Archived