John Cena's Retirement (theoretical)

honor87

• Paid Members

Dan Ambrose... let's see some of this lunacy that he's supposedly the fringe of. Shave his head and give him some acolytes. Maybe a goth bird. If it could be differentiated enough from the Wyatt's shtick it could take him up a level.

He could do with bulking up a bit too, or wearing gear that makes him look more imposing than the vest.

They could definitely go darker and more OTT with his craziness but he doesn't need a big gimmick like that or a shaved head, he's supposed to be crazy and his bad hair doesn't hurt that, Murdock had the worst hair in the A Team. He just needs some more colourful clothes and to be a bit more unhinged, I don't even think he needs to bulk up, he's big enough to be a believable crazy scrapper, the two people you don't want to fight are big tough guys and nutters, he doesn't have to be both.

I'd probably stick Roman Reigns in a tag team with Orton or something for a while, just to give him something completely different to do before they start his push again.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah his crazy 3/4 hair would be fine for a Loose Cannon gimmick, but if they were going to go darker it would be good to do something striking with his look to differentiate him from his past. An I'm-not-fucking-around-anymore-because-I-found-me-bic-razor kind of thing. Like Punk in 2012.

I do like the idea of him at the head of a Raven's flock kind of stable, and definitely think a valet would help him out. Like when Edge got together with Lita. No idea who, like.

Reigns also had the unfortunate task of going against thy Lord, Brock Lesnar, at the time everybody seemingly clocked on at once that Brock was absolutely awesome and started to cheer for him instead of hold him in the regard of 'outsider heel who took the streak'. In both Reigns and Batista's cases, much like Luger in 94, the fans wanting something else at the same time hurt their cause, and much like Luger in 94, it was obvious with Reigns that they wanted to replace the previous top guy (Hogan/Cena) with a V2 of the same character.

I actually didn't expect a backlash to happen until he became champion, but holy shit did people not want it. Still, the demotion has flattened him out a decent amount.

Rollins doesn't have the Jeff Hardy charisma that draws people to him. Maybe he'd develop it with time, but I just don't see it, and I'm not seeing it as a heel right now either.

They need to realise that the audience these days want to at least 'feel' like there's been an organic process in them getting behind someone.

Of course it's still down to the booking, but ramming someone down their throats isn't the way to go. It has only semi-worked with Cena (in terms of audience reaction) and it won't work with Reigns. They should have just let him carry on how he was as the crowds were behind him, but once they got that they pushed it too hard.

Think Ambrose will be like Foley or Eddie, with 1 maybe 2 short feel-good runs at the top. But he's already marketable and over enough to make him more, especially in this climate.

They need to realise that the audience these days want to at least 'feel' like there's been an organic process in them getting behind someone.

Of course it's still down to the booking, but ramming someone down their throats isn't the way to go. It has only semi-worked with Cena (in terms of audience reaction) and it won't work with Reigns. They should have just let him carry on how he was as the crowds were behind him, but once they got that they pushed it too hard.

A good Booker gives the crowd what they want, a great Booker will manipulate the crowd into what they want before giving it to them. WWE are awful most the time when it comes to manipulating their audience.

But that "organic process" only ever seems to be "Evil Vince buries him because he's small/boring/weird-looking, so I want him to win all the belts!" And no real star will be made through that process.

The quickest way around the current dilemma is making Raw interesting enough for normals to buy the expensive tickets in most places, and that's probably not happening anytime soon until they're out of the rut anyway. It's a catch-22.

The lesson learned from the Reigns fuck up should be that their next Cena should be winning his first title from Cena. There's no better way to make sure dem wans are singing from the right hymn sheet on the night.

Theoretically that's the best way to go, but it has got its limitations. Unless the bloke winning it from Cena has been "buried" and has enough Internet points, there's a good chance that dey'd just Lesnar/Goldberg it.

But that "organic process" only ever seems to be "Evil Vince buries him because he's small/boring/weird-looking, so I want him to win all the belts!" And no real star will be made through that process.

They had Ambrose red hot a while ago, when he was chasing Rollins after the Shield split. He was getting a huge pop and no backlash, but then they booked him to lose a bunch of important matches and dropped him back into the midcard.

They had a red hot star on their hands and they could have adjusted their current plan and tried to ride the wave, but they decided not to. Instead of reacting to the incredibly positive reaction he was getting with "people like him, let's push this bloke" they decided to have him lose (I think) all of his matches against Rollins, and then go straight into a feud with Bray where he lost all but one of the important matches.

They need to take a risk and actually run with someone, to even have a chance of finding the next top guys.

• Paid Members

They had a red hot star on their hands and they could have adjusted their current plan and tried to ride the wave, but they decided not to. Instead of reacting to the incredibly positive reaction he was getting with "people like him, let's push this bloke" they decided to have him lose (I think) all of his matches against Rollins, and then go straight into a feud with Bray where he lost all but one of the important matches.

Elimination Chamber was the moment for me. I went berserk when I thought he had won the belt - like they'd actually struck while the iron was hot, on a babyface that I actually liked - until they wussed out with a Dusty Memorial Finish. Lost their balls because "The Plan" couldn't be interfered with. They Rybacked the poor sod.

• Paid Members

Completely agree. If you go back and watch the reactions Dean Ambrose was getting at last year's Summerslam, Night of Champions and Hell in a Cell, the last thing you'd ever think about doing with him is booking him to lose against everyone, before slotting him back into the midcard. It looked like they really had something with him, but now she's just another guy on the show. Like everyone else.

Totally agree that they had Ambrose doing exactly the right kind of stuff at Elimination Chamber and MITB. I still think he can get back there in the click of a finger. A Roman heel turn in time for Mania would probably do the trick. It's not like a Ryback or a Cesaro where they pretty much have either fannied about with them too much or not done enough with them to make them real stars. Ambrose still consistently gets one of the biggest pops. So does Ziggler, mind you so y'know.. could go either way, but he ain't a write-off by any means.

• Paid Members

Ambrose was one of the best things about 2014 in WWE. His return at Night of Champions was superb.

Is Rollins getting pops because he's been linked with Cena recently? They loved him at Summerslam, but I want to put that down to tossers and him cosplaying as Tanahashi.

Rollins can be a face, but you would need to fuck him over good and proper for it to work. What um saying is, when he faces Trips (if they ever go that route), he needs to win, then that's it, not lose the next month, then a third rematch. Just win, that'll be grand.

Archived