John Cena's Retirement (theoretical)

honor87

Do people actually still think Reigns was only getting negative reactions because certain fans think it's cool to not like the top guy? He was over, WWE started turning him into a dork while force feeding him as the hero.

The booking of Reigns was pretty weird looking back, they changed the things people liked by giving him long stupid promos, but kept the things they should have changed like his entrance and attire. They literally got it backwards.

They were right not to pull the trigger on him at Wrestlemania though. He is consistently good, so it's a matter of time before the fans want him on top. Just book him well, wait for fans to love him, then pull the trigger. It's really simple

I still think Ambrose is the guy for the future. He has a natural coolness that is just really likeable. He is similar to Austin in a lot of ways and weirdly enough I think his big run will come in the same way, everything else going wrong and he is lucky enough to run with the ball

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I also think that holding off on Roman for another Mania will do his reactions a big favour. And that Ambrose has a wide enough appeal to be definitely considered the next best big option

• Paid Members

Do people actually still think Reigns was only getting negative reactions because certain fans think it's cool to not like the top guy? He was over, WWE started turning him into a dork while force feeding him as the hero.

The booking of Reigns was pretty weird looking back, they changed the things people liked by giving him long stupid promos, but kept the things they should have changed like his entrance and attire. They literally got it backwards.

That was definitely a factor, I won't argue with that. He was asked to do some real shit. But that shit didn't stop the majority of fans liking him. It didn't bring negative reactions on house shows or in lots of TV arenas. So while I agree, they brought some of it on, it's a fact that the negative reaction only came from a section of fans. No-one can possibly know if it would have happened anyway but history says it would have.

They were right not to pull the trigger on him at Wrestlemania though. He is consistently good, so it's a matter of time before the fans want him on top. Just book him well, wait for fans to love him, then pull the trigger. It's really simple

Nah, WM was bullshit. Whatever damage they did was countered by his excellent showing at Fast Lane and at WM. If they'd pulled the trigger then, they'd have a legit Babyface headliner now. Instead they've got a guy with potential whose pissing about in six man tags with the Wyatts. So basically they're where they are a year ago.

Seth Rollins robbed Reigns of the biggest opportunity of his life and he didn't even seem that fussed either. Talk about cutting his dick off.

Nah, WM was bullshit. Whatever damage they did was countered by his excellent showing at Fast Lane and at WM. If they'd pulled the trigger then, they'd have a legit Babyface headliner now. Instead they've got a guy with potential whose pissing about in six man tags with the Wyatts. So basically they're where they are a year ago.

Seth Rollins robbed Reigns of the biggest opportunity of his life and he didn't even seem that fussed either. Talk about cutting his dick off.

Ah bollocks. At best they'd have Cena 2.0. A top babyface who gets booed every week.

The Rumble this year was a poison chalice for anyone who wasn't Daniel Bryan and it was insane to then put Reigns against Bryan the following month, impressive though his performance was. Crowds had already gone lukewarm on Reigns in the build-up because they'd booked him so badly and so against his considerable strengths, but having him take the Rumble win and then pricktease dem wans by having Bryan challenge him for it and lose made the situation unrecoverable. At least in the short term.

That said, the timing of his injury last year made their job harder than it needed to be. The original plan of having Reigns as the sole Survivor in the Survivor Series main, followed by a feud with Triple H before he finally got to Lesnar sounds note perfect.

Had WWE been on the ball with the booking of Reigns I would agree that it was just dickheads being dickheads. Fact is we will never really know because it is all what ifs. Either way it is a shame how it panned out, the right time will come though.

I do wonder what will happen if Cena is retired while in the ring with someone. If Cena is permanently taken out of action while wrestling someone like Owens or Rollins, will that guy be buried into oblivion or will WWE take the opportunity to "credit" that wrestler as the guy who ended one of wrestling's biggest runs?

At best they'd have Cena 2.0.

If they'd pulled the trigger then, they'd have a legit Babyface headliner now.

What is the argument then??

That being a legit babyface entails having the support of most of your audience. They don't want another ten years of the company ace being booed every week. They've coped with it brilliantly, but it's still a marketing nightmare, and a big reason why Cena still hasn't crossed over in any significant way despite being given the longest run on top of anyone since Sammartino.

Since he beat JBL at Mania 21 i can only think of 6 matches that Cena has been pinned clean.

2008 NOC v HHH

2008 SSlam v Batista

2009 HIAC v Orton

2012 Mania v Rock

2013 SSlam v Bryan

2014 SSlam v Lesnar

Surely there are more? Did Owens pin him clean?

Owens did pin him clean at Elimination Chamber.

• Paid Members

That being a legit babyface entails having the support of most of your audience.

Argument ends there then. Because they've just shown us for the last ten years that it really, really doesn't.

Do they want that going forward? No, I don't think they do. Are they going to have to accept that if they want to pick and choose their next Hogan it's inevitable? Yeah, I think so.

I presume by Cena not having "crossed over" you mean into mainstream pop culture. Territory that no one other than Hogan & The Rock have ever really cracked. That's not a measure of any babyface. Wrestling's not cool. Fact of life.

So Rick, do you think Cena would have drawn more money for WWE if he was loved by the majority? Because if they could make more money by having him appeal to more of their audience then it does matter. Cena has carried the company on his back, since he is their main earner then surely it would be good if he was bringing in more money?

• Paid Members

No. Firstly because it wasn't possible for Cena to be loved by the majority. He is what he is. Secondly because the people who booed Cena were in the arenas and spending money.

I'm sure some people would claim they didn't watch because of Cena but there's no way to quantify that or counter it with how many kids wouldn't be spending without Cena.

All irrelevant.

Archived