John Cena's Retirement (theoretical)

honor87

That being a legit babyface entails having the support of most of your audience.

Argument ends there then. Because they've just shown us for the last ten years that it really, really doesn't.

You know what, I suppose you're right. Let me rephrase then.

Mania was probably the right decision because a properly rebuilt Reigns has the potential to be the fanbase unifying bad ass face that they want him to be. Whereas pulling the trigger there, though you probably do create a new headliner you can sell Network specials off, saddles him with the Cena 2.0 thing and stunts his long term star potential. If that means he has to piss about in midcard 6-mans for while then it's probably worth it long term. His reactions have gotten more positive lately.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

That being a legit babyface entails having the support of most of your audience.

Argument ends there then. Because they've just shown us for the last ten years that it really, really doesn't.

You know what, I suppose you're right. Let me rephrase then.

Mania was probably the right decision because a properly rebuilt Reigns has the potential to be the fanbase unifying bad ass face that they want him to be. Whereas pulling the trigger there, though you probably do create a new headliner you can sell Network specials off, saddles him with the Cena 2.0 thing and stunts his long term star potential. If that means he has to piss about in midcard 6-mans for while then it's probably worth it long term. His reactions have gotten more positive lately.

I just don't see it. I think as soon as they pull the trigger on Reigns again, they'll have the same problem. They didn't do things right with him last year but I'm not convinced they did it so wrong as to make him such a target for certain people. I just think that's how things are now unless you're their guy.

We'll see though. I don't mind admitting when I've been wrong.

The fans won't just boo whoever is being pushed, they will boo characters they don't like. Ryback got great reactions against Punk because he was a badass and likeable, but if Ryback was telling Punk fairy tales in the build to their match he'd have probably been booed out the arena.

• Paid Members

The fans won't just boo whoever is being pushed, they will boo characters they don't like. Ryback got great reactions against Punk because he was a badass and likeable, but if Ryback was telling Punk fairy tales in the build to their match he'd have probably been booed out the arena.

What did Batista do wrong then?

• Paid Members

Batista and reigns both had the same problem of not being Daniel Bryan when the crowd was desperate for them to be Daniel Bryan. Now he's not around reigns will hopefully be more successful.

Batista came back looking weird and it was just announced that he was entering the Rumble and obviously winning. With the goal being that he would face Randy Orton. So yeah, that would probably have been shit all over even without Bryan (obviously that didn't help at all.)

Did Batista get a big angle upon his return like when Lesnar returned? I genuinely can't remember but I think it was something super shit like an on screen graphic. Why exactly should anyone have been excited by any of that?

Batista's return was booked like absolute shit and that match would have either played out to silence or boos without the Bryan story. Batista has said himself that it was booked all wrong.

Edit: just watched Batista's return on Raw, it was dire

• Paid Members

Batista and reigns both had the same problem of not being Daniel Bryan when the crowd was desperate for them to be Daniel Bryan. Now he's not around reigns will hopefully be more successful.

Completely agree. But Reigns still gets boos in certain places. That's nothing to do with Daniel Bryan now is it? It's just how it is. Which is why I think it as pointless holding off.

Batista came back looking weird and it was just announced that he was entering the Rumble and obviously winning. With the goal being that he would face Randy Orton. So yeah, that would probably have been shit all over even without Bryan (obviously that didn't help at all.)

Did Batista get a big angle upon his return like when Lesnar returned? I genuinely can't remember but I think it was something super shit like an on screen graphic. Why exactly should anyone have been excited by any of that?

Batista's return was booked like absolute shit and that match would have either played out to silence or boos without the Bryan story. Batista has said himself that it was booked all wrong.

Edit: just watched Batista's return on Raw, it was dire

Thought this was all about characters? Batista didn't do anything character wise to upset the masses before Rumble.

On the subject of rebuilding Reigns (Night of Champions spoilers):

He should have fucking twatted Jericho for losing that match at NOC, and for a moment I thought that's what they were going to do post-match.

He should be an ass kicker who doesn't take shit from anyone. Remember when that time he (presumably off the cuff) said "When Roman Reigns is in the ring you're damn right Cena sucks." Everyone shit their kecks at that. More of that please.

Disclaimer: I haven't yet seen Raw. Maybe he spears Jericho there or something. In which case fair enough.

Batista's return was hampered by the leak from one of the upcoming venues WWE were using. He was hamstringed by not being Daniel Bryan but had he come back at number 30 in the Rumble as a complete shock the whole building would have misplaced its feces.

Instead, they just had to go with it.

Reigns could easily still be the top guy in my view, he hasn't been pissing about trading wins and losses with all the other losers since Mania, only one on one defeat I can think of since then is to Wyatt at battleground?

Maybe a heel run could do him good? I could see a double turn with him and Rollins, if the Rollins/HHH programme goes ahead for Mania next year you could maybe have Reigns/Rollins at the Rumble with Reigns and HHH aligning against Rollins with HHH saying that he backed the wrong horse for the last year or something.

Cena/Reigns for the belt and Rollins/HHH sound like 2 good main events for Mania next year to me.

Oh and if Dean Ambrose ever becomes the main man, i'll eat my own balls.

Reigns needs a heel turn yesterday. Could be a career saver. Like Rock before him.

Oh and if Dean Ambrose ever becomes the main man, i'll eat my own balls.

Everyone loves the idea of Ambrose but something doesn't click. I'd like to see them go darker with him. Most of his character work involves him trying to be funny, and he does have okay timing for a wrestler, but let's see some of this lunacy that he's supposedly the fringe of. Shave his head and give him some acolytes. Maybe a goth bird. If it could be differentiated enough from the Wyatt's shtick it could take him up a level.

He could do with bulking up a bit too, or wearing gear that makes him look more imposing than the vest. The shield gear hid a multitude of skinny sins.

I really like Cena in his current role but really appreciated the efforts made with the up-and-coming stars of the future. That said, it seems Cena has been having problems with his neck and may not have many more years left. Thats an assumption but the guy has been going for the last ten years non-stop, that has to take it's toll on the body for sure. 

He will forever be the face of the WWE, similar to Hogan pre-racism scandal. He will do the elder statesman thing, promoting the company well into the future. 

Who could step up into his place? Thats a tough one ... I would like to think that by that point Reigns would be ready but I have reservations. Ambrose will (for me) always be in that Pillman, Mr Perfect, Ted Dibiase role of the guy that doesn't need the title to be successful. 

Ziggler isn't anywhere near that place yet, nor is Sheamus. I have a horrible feeling that Orton would just pick up the slack but long term that isn't going to do the company any favours at all. I think they really need to push more of the NXT guys to the moon, given credible showings on the big stage. It's not as though they haven't got a vast array of talent just waiting to take the brass ring. 

Archived