The Most Useless PPV Ever

Liam O'Rourke

Victory Road 2011. Lackluster undercard followed by a No.1 Contender Match that had no winner. And just when you thought it couldn't get worse. Jeff Hardy comes out completely off his tits almost stumbling over during his entrance at a couple of points. Prompting Bischoff to come out and call an audible to whisper to Sting to order him to end the match quickly. Even responded "I agree!" To the resulting bulls**t chants.

And how did TNA apologise? Gave fans a refund.... In the form of 6 months free access to their On Demand service. Quite the entry to the LOLTNA History article you can find of every TNA folly.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The no mercy uk ppv was horrendous if i remember rightly

Although the triple threat match with Austin V Triple H V Undertaker wasn't too bad but this event could be a contender for the worst PPV card ever.

Gillberg V Tiger Ali Singh

The Brood V The Acolytes & Viscera

Droz V Steve Blackman

Kane V Mideon

Tori V Nicole Bass (Sable showed up but refused to wrestle)

X-Pac V Shane McMahon

Mankind V Bad Ass Billy Gunn

Plus keep in mind that this event only ran for 2hrs 15mins and the show opened with a 15 minute promo with The Ministry. Safe to say I was quite pissed off about paying £12.95 for this crap on Box Office at the time. The only 2 matches they announced for this event was the main event and Shane V X-Pac. I wonder why.

It's up there with UK Rampage 93 as the worst televised shows WWE have ever done in the UK.

King Of The Ring 95 by a country mile. Highlights of the show being Bob Backlund campaigning for US government and the sound of Vince McMahon on commentary realising that he hadn't created pro wrestling heat hatred, but he'd created actual hatred.

You can have many from the 2002 'Ruthless Agression' era, but the absolute worst are:

Great American Bash 2004 - Charlie Haas v Luther Reigns, Billy Gunn v Kenzo Susuki and Mordercai v Bob Holly. You couldn't pay me to watch them now never mind hope to have pay watch it at the time.

No Mercy 2006- London & Kendrick v KC James & Idol 'Damian Sandow' Stevens (He was useless then and he's useless now).

MVP v Marty Garner, Undertaker v Mr Kennedy going 20 minutes and ending in a DQ.

Armageddon 2006- a TV level tag team main event and the night where Joey Mercury's face exploded are all that are memorable from this PPV

Any of the Taboo Tuesday/Cyber Sunday PPVs

• Paid Members

I can't believe no-one has suggested WCW New Blood Rising! Is that because it's hilariously bad?

Ernest Miller beating The Great Muta, the Judy Bagwell On A Forklift Match, a Mud Rip Off The Clothes Match, Vampiro & Muta vs Kronik, and the worked shoot between Nash, Steiner & Goldberg. It was bad.

I'd also nominate pretty much the whole first year of TNA.

• Awards Moderator

What was the PPV with a million Triple H VS Randy Orton matches? They were taking the right piss with that one. Trolling on another level.

No Mercy 2007? The one where the title was vacant due to Cena being injured, so they came up with all the Triple H - Orton matches at short notice. Umaga was thrown in there for one as well, I think.

out of what i've seen all the way through, WM9 was fuckin abysmal. One decent IC title match, spoiled by a shitty ending (as was the case for pretty much every match on this card - booking wise it seemed a real low time). a terrible Doink match, Ramon and Backlund do nothing, Giant Gonzales stinking up the place, Hogan being a cunt. The weird arsed setting and costumes, terrible segments, the whole show makes me think "so who's 3rd birthday party is it today then?". Had I been viewing it as it ran it easily could've put me off the sport

• Paid Members

A lot of these looked shit going in. King of The Ring 2000 must be among the most disappointing as it was set up to look like you were getting Benoit vs Guerrero with the winner facing Angle or Jericho, right around the time those guys were usually tearing it up second from the top. Benoit was done for the night about five minutes after the show started, then Guerrero lost the next match. 

• Paid Members

Fatal Four Way 2010. I stayed up for it and I sat there at 4am, when it finished, feeling terribly sorry for any poor bastard who actally paid for that. I really did. And it deprived me of sleep well past what it should have, as I lay awake for another hour and half questioning and doubting my love for wrestling.

Uncensored 1995 because over here we had no real exposure to WCW back then and my mate got his cousin in the UK to tape it and post it over and we were giddy with excitement and sat there throughout...feeling terribly sorry for myself and my friend.

What was the PPV with a million Triple H VS Randy Orton matches? They were taking the right piss with that one. Trolling on another level.

No Mercy 2007? The one where the title was vacant due to Cena being injured, so they came up with all the Triple H - Orton matches at short notice. Umaga was thrown in there for one as well, I think.

Orton was the challenger to Cena but he had to vacate. They opened the show announcing Orton as the new Champ. Triple H comes out for a challenge. Wins. Defended it against Umaga since they were already booked that night. Dropped it back to Orton in a Last Man Standing which again was what Orton v Cena was originally booked as.

Wrestlemania 26.

Take Undertaker-Michaels away and it has no redeeming features. And even that match wasn't as good as the one a year prior.

I used to feel that way. Until last year it was the only WrestleMania I hadn't bought on DVD/Blu-Ray.

But when I saw it cheap in CEX and gave it another go I did enjoy it.

CM Punk vs Rey Mysterio was as good a 6 minute match as I've ever seen, The 3 way between Legacy members had some good spots, the Ladder match was pretty spectacular, and Batista vs Cena had a red-hot atmosphere.

I think the problem that year (and has been the case many times since) is the aside from Bret/Vince and Taker/HBK the matches were all beginnings to feuds. A year earlier HHH had finally got revenge on Orton, the Legends finally got to give Jericho a good kicking but he kept his heat with the win, JBL's I-C reign came to a screetching halt. But in 2010 Cena/Batista, Punk/Mysterio, HHH/Sheamus etc were the first matches of what became long running feuds.

Archived