The Most Useless PPV Ever

Liam O'Rourke

Mania 11. I will elaborate but i really dont think Mania 11 needs any elaboration? Was any match even half decent? Pammy was on top form and a huge celeb for 1995 but the rest of them were dross. I think that was the year that the national anthem was sung by a women who looked either blind or in distress or maybe both. Saying that she was a much more comfortable watch than Bret/Bob I Quit.

Got to agree with this shout, Bret Hart cites the Backlund match as the worst PPV effort he's ever been involved in and its hard to disagree. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bret really must've hated that match then to say it was the worst PPV match he's been involved in because his match with Yankem from SummerSlam 95 was truly fucking awful. At the end of the match when Lawler and Yankem choked the shit out of Hart with his head between the ropes was more entertaining than the match itself.

Off topic a bit, but what was with that Bret run? I seem to remember him having Backlund, Yankem, Hakushi, Pierre and Lawler all in quite a short run. Obviously Michaels and Diesel were on the rise at the time but he mustve seriously considered signing for WCW before he re-signed in 1996.

• Paid Members

Mania 11. I will elaborate but i really dont think Mania 11 needs any elaboration? Was any match even half decent? Pammy was on top form and a huge celeb for 1995 but the rest of them were dross. I think that was the year that the national anthem was sung by a women who looked either blind or in distress or maybe both. Saying that she was a much more comfortable watch than Bret/Bob I Quit.

Got to agree with this shout, Bret Hart cites the Backlund match as the worst PPV effort he's ever been involved in and its hard to disagree.

Considering him vs Vince happened on PPV it's really easy to disagree.

• Paid Members

Far too many suggestions in this thread for PPVs that at least have something of merit, a genuine reason to ever put the tape or DVD in and watch at least part of the show again. Some of you need your heads examined. The word is "useless" - King of the Ring '94? WrestleMania XX? Get the fuck out. WrestleMania 26? Jesus, even if you truly believe that show has only one good match on it (I don't, incidentally) then it's got no chance of being the MOST useless PPV ever when that one match is as good as Shawn vs Undertaker. That their match one year earlier is better is largely irrelevant - that match is still a cracker and worth taking off the shelf to watch.

I'm not going to consider Heroes Of Wrestling for my own vote because even though Power Slam make it sound worse than getting buggered by Mark Henry, I've never personally seen it. Other popular answers that I'd go along with for sheer mediocrity would be Fall Brawl 98, Great American Bash 91 or the UK-exclusive No, Mercy! But my vote is none of these, although it's also already been mentioned.

SuperBrawl 2000 is the most useless PPV I ever watched. The lineup on paper is absoutely anaemic and in the watching is sheer misery. The show is a scathing indictment of the way WCW had been run and a brutal donkey punch of a snapshot of the state they had let themselves get into. With a lot of the most established midcarders already left for the WWF and Bret Hart, Goldberg, Scott Steiner, Big Sexy, Dallas Page, Rey Misterio Jr and others injured or otherwise absent, the roster that contested this show are a horrific mix of the way-past-their-prime and the so-not-a-superstar with very few exceptions. There is so little going on of interest, it's untrue. The World title match is either insultingly short for a PPV main event or mercifully short considering it was so lame, and conversely Hogan vs Luger - in 2000, REALLY - felt like it went on forever despite being about the same length of time. On the other hand, Flair-Funk - in 2000, REALLY - actually did go on forever. I'm sure it's still going on.The entire undercard is loaded with guys that wouldn't have had a sniff of a PPV two years earlier, it's so incredibly beige. The only match with any potential at the time (for me), Kidman vs Vampiro, was a total mess. Everything on the show is terrible, and not "amusingly terrible" but just solid gold shit. Mind-numbingly boring with no redeemable qualities, no reason to ever take it out of the box again. Not one. The best way I could summarize it would be that my nightmare card for worst show ever would be this card plus Bushwhackers/Beverlys from Rumble 92.

The show also featured an unadvertised appearance by James Brown.

Technically this is only half-true. The Cat himself had repeatedly told everyone on Nitro that he was bringing James Brown. The company themselves never explicitly promised that it would actually happen, and there was near-to-no intrigue as to whether or not Miller would follow through with his vow, because the company had booked so many broken promises over the last couple of years. It seemed transparent that Miller had promised it, not WCW, so nobody could complain if they paid for the show in part to see if James turned up and he didn't, i.e. they were setting Miller up for a fall. So nobody paid for the show in part to see if James actually showed up. Rendering it rather pointless when he did. That they actually secured James Brown to do something in ring with Miller and didn't hype the shit out of it tells you everything you need to know about WCW at the time.

Can't believe I paid full price for the VHS.

I did too. Because as a misguided 18 year old, in a masochistic way I simply had to know if the show was as bad as Power Slam made it sound. It was.

Any of the Taboo Tuesday/Cyber Sunday PPVs

The first Taboo Tuesday gets a pass for me because right when I thought I never wanted to see Triple H VS Shawn Michaels ever again, their match on that show was utterly compelling to me, built around Shawn's legitimate injury.

But there were mitigating circumstances for Mania 26 - Bret was old as fuck, hadn't wrestled in 11 years, faced a non-worker, legally wasn't allowed to do much and this at least served to act as closure for the '97 Screwjob and the angle that followed that year.

Wrestlemania 11 was unforgivably bad on its own, but when you take context into account it was much, much worse than Bret v Vince.

But there were mitigating circumstances for Mania 26 - Bret was old as fuck, hadn't wrestled in 11 years, faced a non-worker, legally wasn't allowed to do much and this at least served to act as closure for the '97 Screwjob and the angle that followed that year.

Wrestlemania 11 was unforgivably bad on its own, but when you take context into account it was much, much worse than Bret v Vince.

Listen to the new Talk Is Jericho podcast with Natalya and Kidd. Apparently Bruce Hart came up with some ,um. 'interesting ideas for the match.

I have to say WrestleMania 4. 

People moan about WrestleMania 20 being too long but it has at least 4/5 good solid matches. WM 4 had a extremely boring tournament for the vacant title with no memorable matches or good matches. Steamboat looking like a right jobber, Rude/Roberts have one shitty 15 minute draw, Hogan/Andre is even worse than the WM 3 main event without the classic slam. The only thing I can say was good was Savage winning the WWF Championship which led to one of wrestling's hottest angles in history (Mega Powers!).

The HBK/Diesel match was a very good match. Also, I disagree with that show being useless as it had two matches on it (Bret/Backlund and Michaels/Diesel) that had months of build up, so it was far from useless as it was the blow off for those feuds. Was just watching the Raws leading up to that PPV and all 3 top matches had a pretty strong build IMO.

As for my answer, Bound for Glory last year served absolutely no purpose. The most pointless PPV ever.

Don't agree with WM20. Taken in context of itself, Guerrero and Benoit were the right people at the right time. They were ridiculously over, and everyone was clamouring for Benoit to finally get his shot. Sure, their reigns as champs were shit, but in terms of actual moments, they were bang on. The Guerrero/Angle match actually gets hideously overlooked because of the Triple Threat, but it was excellent, with a funny and clever finish.

Absolutely.

Expectation of it being the best PPV ever due to the historical significance may well have led to people thinking it didn't live up to the hype, but the good on that show far outweighed the bad.

Goldberg/Lesnar and Evolution/Rock & Sock were not as good as I hoped they would be. But everything else turned out as well as can be expected.

The way the Cruiserweights were booked in WWE, their match was never going to have chance to be something special. The Divas match and both Tag matches had nothing going for them. Undertaker hadn't been in a great match for 2 years so expecting anything other than a cool entrance was wishful thinking.

So what did that leave us with?

Cena vs Big Show was a good match with a very well received finish and Cena was on course to be a star.

Jericho vs Christian was a very good match with a surprising & memorable heel turn.

There was a Divas hair vs hair match for the first time ever on WWE tv which delivered the pay-off.

Goldberg vs Lesnar - on the plus side - drew one of the most memorable and intense crowd reactions to any WWE match ever. I still love watching it back.

Guerrero vs Angle lived up to the hype and was a great match.

The main event was one of the best WrestleMania main events ever and the finish was so special after HHH had monopolised that World Title for most of the previous 18 months.

Most useless PPV ever?

Surely Wrestlemania 2 has to be up there in the shit stakes. Crap all round really. Even Hogan vs Bundy in a cage (from an intrigue perspective) didn't do much. Boxing match piper vs Mr T was terrible.

The original Wrestlemania wasn't much cop either except for the start of a tradition.

IYH 4 and KOTR 95 as already said were terrible too. Funnily I loved that KOTR as a child too.

Did anyone here watch Brawl For All? Running that show and giving the winner a shoot boxing match v Butterbean at Mania sounds like some TNA antics.

The weirdest thing, they do the competition to try get Steve Williams over from it cos they'll assume he wins but there were 16 guys in the tournament?! What were they thinking?? That's 15 shootfights on a wrestling show all together and god only knows why they'd presumed Williams would win

e: oh, just checking and Brawl For All wasnt a PPV, they just did the matches on Raws. still worth a shout though

• Paid Members

The main event was one of the best WrestleMania main events ever and the finish was so special after HHH had monopolised that World Title for most of the previous 18 months.

This bit is particularly true. It was an absolutely perfect finish that played with what people knew at the time. I was on the edge of my seat; like so many (I was still very smarky at the time anyway), I really wanted Benoit to finally get the belt*, and I also knew from years of watching that the longer someone spends in a submission without tapping in a multiple-man match, the greater the likelihood of it getting broken up. The longer Triple H went without tapping, the more my heart sank as I thought "Oh fuck it, HBK's going to ruin it, WWE really have decided to push back his win to Backlash like it said on the Intarwebs", so that when Trips did finally tap, I found myself jumping out of my seat, yelling, and punching the air.

*the fact that Eddy held the other one made this the only time I was prepared to ignore my feeling that having two titles is really quite shit

Archived