The Most Useless PPV Ever

Liam O'Rourke

Don't agree with WM20. Taken in context of itself, Guerrero and Benoit were the right people at the right time. They were ridiculously over, and everyone was clamouring for Benoit to finally get his shot. Sure, their reigns as champs were shit, but in terms of actual moments, they were bang on. The Guerrero/Angle match actually gets hideously overlooked because of the Triple Threat, but it was excellent, with a funny and clever finish.

Absolutely.

Expectation of it being the best PPV ever due to the historical significance may well have led to people thinking it didn't live up to the hype, but the good on that show far outweighed the bad.

Goldberg/Lesnar and Evolution/Rock & Sock were not as good as I hoped they would be. But everything else turned out as well as can be expected.

The way the Cruiserweights were booked in WWE, their match was never going to have chance to be something special. The Divas match and both Tag matches had nothing going for them. Undertaker hadn't been in a great match for 2 years so expecting anything other than a cool entrance was wishful thinking.

So what did that leave us with?

Cena vs Big Show was a good match with a very well received finish and Cena was on course to be a star.

Jericho vs Christian was a very good match with a surprising & memorable heel turn.

There was a Divas hair vs hair match for the first time ever on WWE tv which delivered the pay-off.

Goldberg vs Lesnar - on the plus side - drew one of the most memorable and intense crowd reactions to any WWE match ever. I still love watching it back.

Guerrero vs Angle lived up to the hype and was a great match.

The main event was one of the best WrestleMania main events ever and the finish was so special after HHH had monopolised that World Title for most of the previous 18 months.

Most useless PPV ever?

I also like the bit where Mick Foley is visibly mouthing along with the last few words of Rock's promo to make sure he gets the timing on his '...and Sock!' line just right.

Maybe WMXX was a bad shout in a thread like this, I just like having the opportunity to vent about its weird shitness.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of these looked shit going in. King of The Ring 2000 must be among the most disappointing as it was set up to look like you were getting Benoit vs Guerrero with the winner facing Angle or Jericho, right around the time those guys were usually tearing it up second from the top. Benoit was done for the night about five minutes after the show started, then Guerrero lost the next match.

Not the most useless PPV of all time but definitely a candidate for the most disappointing. And there was absolutely no excuse for the nonsense they dished up that evening, especially when six of the other first seven PPV's of that year were on fire (Mania being the other awful one).

A lot of these looked shit going in. King of The Ring 2000 must be among the most disappointing as it was set up to look like you were getting Benoit vs Guerrero with the winner facing Angle or Jericho, right around the time those guys were usually tearing it up second from the top. Benoit was done for the night about five minutes after the show started, then Guerrero lost the next match.

Not the most useless PPV of all time but definitely a candidate for the most disappointing. And there was absolutely no excuse for the nonsense they dished up that evening, especially when six of the other first seven PPV's of that year were on fire (Mania being the other awful one).

I hated KOTR at the time (although, bizarrely I quite enjoyed 'Mania at the time). I loved WWE in 2000 but this card just looked awful on paper - a predictable tournament featuring such likely winners as Crash Holly, Bull Buchanan and Val Venis, 2 old men in an evening gown match, and a 6 man tag main event where the champ was stuck with 2 non-wrestlers against 3 main eventers. No matter how good it had been on the night I already hated it before it started.  Even more galling as it was on the back of Judgement Day which was one of my favourite events.

Maybe not the most useless show ever but this was awful at a time when the PPVs were on top form.  

Patterson and Brisco in drag had to be the most cringeworthy moment of 2000 in WWE.  But as far as the KOTR PPV's go there's no doubt about it 1995 was the absolute worst. It was that boring it seemed like there was no end to the show when watching it live. If anyone has claimed to have watched this event more than once I just wouldn't believe them. I would rather chew broken glass than sit through that shite again.

I want to thank everybody for the suggestions in this thread, we got to a lot of them on the show, which is now available to listen to at the following link:

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/4285da/SCGRadio46-TheMostUselessPPVEver.mp3

Join us as we debate the Most Useless PPV in wrestling history! Taking your suggestions, we discuss shows such as King Of The Ring 95, WrestleManias 9 and 11, No Mercy in the UK, BattleBowl 93, ECW December To Dismember, many In Your House events, many TNA shows, many Great American Bashes, nWo Souled Out, Battleground 2013, Heroes of Wrestling and many more, as we get to the bottom of what makes a big event truly worthless. A very fun show this week, check it out~!

• Paid Members

Cracking stuff. Maybe blind nostalgia forces me to disregard how bad some of those In Your House events were. But honestly, you can't have IYH3. That's worth getting out of the box for the Triple Header match. Ultimately inconsequential it may have been, the match is enjoyable, worth watching again, and thus the show isn't useless. In Your House 4 probably is though unless you're a serious Razor mark and just need to see him win the belt for the record-breaking fourth time.

Really enjoy listening to you all piss yourselves laughing at how bad stuff is. Wrestling is as much fun when it's shite as when it's amazing if you have people to sit there and go "how shit is THIS" with,

Just saw this now - thanks man, very glad you enjoyed it, some of these topics like you say, we go in thinking there'll be a bit of humour in the bad, but it just completely uncoils more than expected, especially when you get to the stuff so bad it produces legitimate anger like December to Dismember.

As much as the negative is funny, looking forward to some positivity next week with "Best Build Ups", am obsessed with great hype so that should be nostalgia-mania in its own right....

• Paid Members

Build ups? The first few weeks of Orton vs HHH was some of the best tv they've ever done. Sadly, the match wasn't up to it but Orton looked badass in the run up to that 'Mania.

Build ups? The first few weeks of Orton vs HHH was some of the best tv they've ever done. Sadly, the match wasn't up to it but Orton looked badass in the run up to that 'Mania.

I take it you are talking about the build up to their Mania "Main Event" (we all know what the real main event was) when HHH went to Ortons house after he had terrorised the McMahons.

Awesome bulid up until HHH was chasing the whole of Legacy around the arena with a sledgehammer and he got them (may have just been Orton) in a room and didnt connect the sledgehammer on anyone.

Shite match too.

• Paid Members

I take it you are talking about the build up to their Mania "Main Event" (we all know what the real main event was) when HHH went to Ortons house after he had terrorised the McMahons.

Awesome bulid up until HHH was chasing the whole of Legacy around the arena with a sledgehammer and he got them (may have just been Orton) in a room and didnt connect the sledgehammer on anyone.

Shite match too.

Yeah. Great build up until it was announced as no DQ. Terrible match terrible storytelling but the build was compelling and made me care for the first time in a while.

Archived