The Most Useless PPV Ever

Liam O'Rourke

Great American Bash 04 and Judgement Day 04 "win" for me, for reasons others have said. WWE at it's worst IMO. Unforgiven 04 was bad as well, including a MINUS FIVE STARS in Tomko vs. Stevie Richards.

Wrestlemania 20 is by no means a worst ever, but remains my worst 'Mania and biggest let-down, especially for the expectations. I hated that show, save from the main-event.

I only really watch WWE, so can't comment on other feds.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

out of what i've seen all the way through, WM9 was fuckin abysmal. One decent IC title match, spoiled by a shitty ending (as was the case for pretty much every match on this card - booking wise it seemed a real low time). a terrible Doink match, Ramon and Backlund do nothing, Giant Gonzales stinking up the place, Hogan being a cunt. The weird arsed setting and costumes, terrible segments, the whole show makes me think "so who's 3rd birthday party is it today then?". Had I been viewing it as it ran it easily could've put me off the sport

Plus Curt Hennig forgot all of the planned spots he and Luger had for the match. Luger claims he did it on purpose to fuck up his WrestleMania debut. Considering the event was held outdoor it had a shit atmosphere.

Great American Bash 04 and Judgement Day 04 "win" for me, for reasons others have said. WWE at it's worst IMO. Unforgiven 04 was bad as well, including a MINUS FIVE STARS in Tomko vs. Stevie Richards.

Wrestlemania 20 is by no means a worst ever, but remains my worst 'Mania and biggest let-down, especially for the expectations. I hated that show, save from the main-event.

I only really watch WWE, so can't comment on other feds.

I've always hated WrestleMania 20 too, it's a really lifeless show considering the amount of thought and energy that had clearly gone into it. You got the impression that they were doing all they could to book an historic card, and even took a hit on ticket sales to maintain the MSG ten year tradition (which they rightly binned off for the far superior Mania XXX last year), but the timing was completely off.

On paper it's probably one of the top 10 star-studded cards of all time but practically every single performer was either on their way up or down; no one on the card was at the peak of their powers. A card featuring Austin, Foley, Rock, Batista, Cena, and Lesnar should be stellar, but it was too late for the former three and too early for the latter three. On the whole card the only guys you could argue were in their primes were Mysterio and Angle, or maybe Triple H at a push (ignoring shlubs like La Resistance of course, for whom this shite show probably was the peak).

The solution was to have Benoit and Guerrero as the universally respected veterans finally getting their just rewards, but in hindsight having them stand tall at the end of the night was a bit shite. Even if neither of them had murdered their families three years later, they just weren't main event talents. Or at least not WrestleMania main event talents. I remember bumping into a mate who'd stopped watching a year or two earlier in the McDonalds by Paradise Street in Liverpool, and being unable to answer him when he asked a) why the fuck Eddie Guerrero was the World Champ and b) what the fuck had happened to Austin and Rock. And I know this lad buzzed off Mysterio winning the Rumble two years later as well, so it wasn't just because of Eddie G's height/ethnicity.

It's by no means the most useless PPV of all time, but it's worth an honorable mention in a thread like this for being so much worse in practice than on paper. A crap, stale time for the company.

• Paid Members

Agree with WM20. There was so much hype and sadly it just didn't live up to it. The whole show can be summed in the moment 'Taker removed his hat, after a long rumoured and anticipated comeback, to reveal he had a little girl's haircut.

Game over right there.

You could argue that any WCW PPV from 1999 onwards could win this but for me i'll go with Superbrawl 2000.

The card featured such classics as:

The Wall vs The Demon

Big T(the former Ahmed Johnson who was fat as fuck at the time) against Booker T for the rights to use the letter T in their name.

Tank Abbott vs Big Al in a 'Leather Jacket on a Pole' match.

Ric Flair vs Terry Funk with both guys well passed their prime.

Brian Knobs vs Bam Bam Bigelow in a god awful hardcore match.

The show also featured an unadvertised appearance by James Brown.

Just god awful.

Agree with WM20. There was so much hype and sadly it just didn't live up to it. The whole show can be summed in the moment 'Taker removed his hat, after a long rumoured and anticipated comeback, to reveal he had a little girl's haircut.

Game over right there.

So the Undertaker's haircut was the reason for WM20 being a bit of a let down?

• Paid Members

Game over right there.

No, the moment everyone realised he hadn't bothered with his look summed up the whole half hearted PPV. Matches 10 mins long and they strung it out to 4 and a half hours or so. Just a bit of a let down on all parts.

You could argue that any WCW PPV from 1999 onwards could win this but for me i'll go with Superbrawl 2000.

Spring Stampede 99 was alright from what I remember, I can remember enjoying a few others in 99 too, even when I wasnt watching Nitro by then.

• Paid Members

Game over right there.

No, the moment everyone realised he hadn't bothered with his look summed up the whole half hearted PPV.

You mean his hair didn’t grow as fast as you wanted in the four months he was off TV?

• Paid Members

Game over right there.

No, the moment everyone realised he hadn't bothered with his look summed up the whole half hearted PPV.

You mean his hair didn’t grow as fast as you wanted in the four months he was off TV?

I mean it looked ridiculous. Simple.

• Paid Members

Got too be Souled out 97 for me. This card was full of fucking dross. Jarrett vs IRS/Wallstreet, DDP vs Norton with the NWO B team and there attempts to lure Page, the Outsiders miracously pulling Steiners into a match that resembles 4 sweaty bollocks bouncing off each other and of course the sweltering pile of Donkey shit that is Hogan and Giant with Nick mothetfucking Patrick trying to get himself over.

When the 2nd best match on the card involves Bagwell and Riggs your in trouble. If it wasn't for an average yet underwhelming ladder match this would be unbearable.

There are PPVs that are a lower a overall standard but when you consider this is the company's hottest ever period in the midst of the hottest ever angle this stands out the most useless pathetic PPV I can remember. It's amazing that WCW in 97 provided us with a PPV this poor especially when you consider there wasn't even a Lex Luger appearance

Got too he Souled out 97 for me. This card was full of fucking dross. Jarrett vs IRS/Wallstreet, DDP vs Norton with the NWO b team and there attempts to lure Page, the Outsiders miracously pulling Steiners into a match that resembles 4 sweaty bollocks bouncing off each other and of course the sweltering pile of Donkey shit that is Hogan and Giant with Nick mothetfucking Patrick Trying to get himself over.

When the 2nd best match on the card involves Bagwell and Riggs your in trouble. If it was for an average ladder match involving this would be unbearable.

There are PPVs that are a lower overall standard but when you consider this is the company's hottest ever period in the miday of the hottest ever angle this stands out the most useless pathetic PPV I can remember. It's amazing that WCW in 97 provided us with a PPV this poor especially when you consider there wasn't even a Lex Luger appearance

The card featured such classics as:

The Wall vs The Demon

Big T(the former Ahmed Johnson who was fat as fuck at the time) against Booker T for the rights to use the letter T in their name.

Tank Abbott vs Big Al in a 'Leather Jacket on a Pole' match.

Ric Flair vs Terry Funk with both guys well passed their prime.

Brian Knobs vs Bam Bam Bigelow in a god awful hardcore match.

The show also featured an unadvertised appearance by James Brown.

Just god awful.

Can't mention this one without mentioning the end of the Tank / Big Al match when after winning Tank holds a some sort of blade to Big Al's throat and telling him he could fuckin' kill right now. All live to your PPV audience. Can't believe I paid full price for the VHS.

• Paid Members

Don't agree with WM20. Taken in context of itself, Guerrero and Benoit were the right people at the right time. They were ridiculously over, and everyone was clamouring for Benoit to finally get his shot. Sure, their reigns as champs were shit, but in terms of actual moments, they were bang on. The Guerrero/Angle match actually gets hideously overlooked because of the Triple Threat, but it was excellent, with a funny and clever finish.

Mania 11. I will elaborate but i really dont think Mania 11 needs any elaboration? Was any match even half decent? Pammy was on top form and a huge celeb for 1995 but the rest of them were dross. I think that was the year that the national anthem was sung by a women who looked either blind or in distress or maybe both. Saying that she was a much more comfortable watch than Bret/Bob I Quit.

Archived