The Most Useless PPV Ever

Liam O'Rourke

For this week's podcast (and partly inspired by Slammiversary last week), we're going to debate the Most Useless Major Wrestling PPV show in history, and are looking for your suggestions for this esteemed honour.

So what is your ONE pick for the most completely irredeemable, meritless show you've ever seen, devoid of any quality, the one that sticks in your craw, and your explanation on why this takes the wooden spoon. As always the best nominations/explanations will be read on the show (which will be posted this weekend) and you'll be credited accordingly.

So which one is it for you?

EDIT - The podcast debating The Most Useless PPV Ever and discussing your nominations is now available to listen to here: http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/web/4285da/SCGRadio46-TheMostUselessPPVEver.mp3

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

King Of The Ring 1994 surely. Roddy Piper Vs Jerry Lawler main event, New Generation indeed. IRS Vs Mabel, and of course Art Donovan.

Rubbish. Yes, there was a lot of dross on that but it also had *some* redeeming factors. You had a couple of good 123 Kid matches with Owen and JJ. The Bret/Diesel was also good as well considering it was Nash's first significant PPV match.

I always contend that IYH 4 was and forever shall be worst of all time. When you don't have two of your main stars on the show (Bret & Shawn) it automatically starts to hurt it.Yoko/Mabel in a 'Battle Of The Bellies' was just horrific. The Gunns Vs Razor & The Kid was purely there to advance Kid's heel turn a few weeks later. And Dean Douglas was made to look pathetic by winning a belt via forfeit and then losing it inside 12 minutes to a guy whose already had a match.

Sure that Piper V Lawler main event was piss poor but that PPV scores points from me just because Owen won that year's tournament. Now KOTR 1995 was shocking we had a horrible Diesel & Bam Bam V Sid & Tatanka tag main event plus you had a then unknown Savio Vega joining the tournament at the last minute who had actually made it to the final. Then the cherry on the cake was Mabel winning the damn thing. I think at the time everyone was pissed off about this as most of us expected Shawn (who had just turned babyface)to be the KOTR winner that year.

December to Dismember in 2006 was the drizzling shits, the only match worth any note was the Hardyz Vs MnM. There was hardly any build to this PPV and some of the matches booked would have been a piss-break at a house show never mind a PPV.  

The biggest disaster from the event was the Elimination Chamber. There was only two guys who were remotely over in the match; CM Punk who was eliminated first by the other over participant - Rob Van Dam. As soon as RVD was eliminated the match became a plodding mess which resulted in Lashley winning the belt which was about as popular as David Arquette winning the WCW title.

• Paid Members

December to Dismember the WWE ECW PPV where they didn't even bother announcing or building matches for it and had the worst Elimination Chamber match ( up till then). Any PPV that features Matt Striker vs Balls Mahoney and Davari vs Tommy Dreamer needs to be on this list. Oh and they advertised Sabu for the chamber then wrote him out and replaced him with Hardcore Holly!

Edit. Damn beaten to it!

Great American Bash 2004 always sticks out in my mind as it was one of the last WWE PPV's I watched as a full time viewer (it probably played a part in that). Absolute shit from almost top to bottom. Just looked up the card and it's full of matches that would barely be acceptable on Smackdown - Luther Reigns vs Charlie Haas, Hardcore Holly vs Mordecai and Kenzo Suzuki vs Billy Gunn. I remember the bullrope match between Eddie and JBL being a complete letdown compared to the bloodbath they had at whatever PPV that was, and then you had the fucking Dudleys in the main event.

• Paid Members

Judgement Day 2003 is one of the worst ever I think. This was during a time when despite having a lot of "talent" in the roster, the writing and booking and execution was so haphazard and illogical it turned a lot of people off wrestling forever. It might be harsh to say that this was the watermark, but for me it was just one terrible PPV too far.

A total nothing Austin/Bischoff segment, a tag match that didn't make any sense, HHH /Nash is the worst match I think I have ever seen, a clusterf*ck of an intercontinental match. It was unbearable. And the tipping point? The fact that Lesnar/Show was good enough and fun enough to further the angle. And that made me angry. How can 2.45 hours of PPV be so terrible and a decent match is thrown out right at the death?

90% of the angles and matches didn't mean anything and the execution was the worst I'd seen in that diabolical 2002-2004 era. Useless and as I say switched off lots of long time fans, some for good.

Fall Brawl 98. I even found the Great American Bash 91 better than this.

Bulldog and Anvil vs Alex Wright and Disco Inferno.

Ernest Miller vs Norman Smiley.

Two advertised matches in Chris Jericho vs 'Goldberg' being a joke (even though it was funny) and Scott Steiner vs Rick Steiner going to a non contest due to them recycling the Bagwell injury angle and it all being a swerve.

Then they fuck over the War Games match just to further the Warrior / Hogan angle and everyone has to lie there 'unconscious' due to Warrior's smoke and Stevie fucking Ray is in the main event.

Utter bullshit PPV. Due to the 'star' power in the main event the other matches felt like a really bad Thunder.

Another vote for King Of The Ring 95 here. Savio Vega wrestling 4 times in one night, my favourite ( Shawn Michaels ) being eliminated in a 15 minute draw with Kama which felt like an eternity. Mable winning the thing and a crap tag main event, can't remember if the Bret Hart/Lawler match was any good but the gimmick was ridiculous.

Honourable mention to Wrestlemania 11, utter borefest.

There were quite a few TNA PPV's in late 2010 - early 2011 that were the epitome of useless because absolutely nothing of any consequence ever happened.  TNA was still in that awkward period after Hogan and co. took over where they weren't really sure what sort of product to present before they seemed to come into their own near the end of 2011, so Impact was a bit of a mess but at least things were happening.  The PPVs, however, were filled with dross like Mr. Anderson and Matt Morgan main eventing.  Out of the 9 matches at Final Resolution 2010, for example, 7 of them were gimmick matches, so in essence there should have been loads going on, but nothing bloody happened!  One of the matches was a first blood match between Rob Van Dam and Rhino.  Why?

The next month's Genesis we were blessed with 2 Mr. Anderson matches.  One of them was against Matt Morgan, and the other was against mouldy-face annoying heel Jeff Hardy.

The Impact Zone was the absolute worst it ever was at this point too which made any PPV they ran look totally small time.  If TNA ever needed to start running only 4 PPVs a year, it was then, not 2 or 3 years later.

Every WWE PPV that had "Bash" in the title was pretty dull. I can't remember anything good from those shows. And I agree about Judgment Day 2003, you know there's nothing really newsworthy about this PPV when the main talking point the next morning was Torrie Wilson's tits in that skin coloured bikini.

Archived