Overdone Pushes That Annoyed You

Liam O'Rourke

Kofi Kingston to a lesser degree just because I don't like him. He can wrestle but is hugely overrated and over pushed by the WWE. 

Before New Day, Kofi Kingston hadn't done anything for years and years. When was he over pushed? The month he beat Randy Orton before getting battered back down the bill? Or the years he spent going 50/50 with Drew McIntyre and Dolph Ziggler in the midcard?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kofi Kingston to a lesser degree just because I don't like him. He can wrestle but is hugely overrated and over pushed by the WWE. 

Before New Day, Kofi Kingston hadn't done anything for years and years. When was he over pushed? The month he beat Randy Orton before getting battered back down the bill? Or the years he spent going 50/50 with Drew McIntyre and Dolph Ziggler in the midcard?

You could say that even being employed is an over push because he's been pretty dreadful for the vast majority of his WWE run.

• Moderators

Dino Bravo and his stupid haircut was one of the worst things ever, surely not deserving of a push. A push that resulted in his losing about 3 times between 1987 and 1991. I can appreciate they wanted a French Canadian star to draw in Montreal, but I'd have rather they'd have pushed Frenchy Martin to be honest,  as at least his sign holding and beret was less offensive to my eyes than Bravo pounding his chest and doing that little jig like he was locked outside a shithouse after eating a 4 week old jalfrezi. He was bloated, the most stiffly moving wrestler ever, and would occasionally wear the most migrane inducing lime green trunks. It's just a shame he didn't find out smoking kills a few years earlier so we'd have all been spared those titanic tussles with a similarly roided Don Muraco, the big Tugboat, and in the biggest battle of all, not being shit. He didn't job in any of them.

• Paid Members

This might be out of left field but I'd say Eugene.

It was an entertaining gimmick, at least at first, but he should never have been anywhere near the Main Event. Having a handicapped wrestler beat up and embarrass Jonathon Coachman was funny. Having him BE beaten up and humiliated by Triple H wasn't. Especially since it was obvious that he was never going to be allowed to get revenge.

This might be out of left field but I'd say Eugene.

It was an entertaining gimmick, at least at first, but he should never have been anywhere near the Main Event. Having a handicapped wrestler beat up and embarrass Jonathon Coachman was funny. Having him BE beaten up and humiliated by Triple H wasn't. Especially since it was obvious that he was never going to be allowed to get revenge.

The maddest thing was the cerebral assassin spending about a month hatching and executing an ingenious plan to...get Eugene to hit Chris Benoit with a chair once. When he had a stable of guys around him who did that stuff every week anyway.

• Paid Members

Dino Bravo and his stupid haircut was one of the worst things ever, surely not deserving of a push. A push that resulted in his losing about 3 times between 1987 and 1991. I can appreciate they wanted a French Canadian star to draw in Montreal, but I'd have rather they'd have pushed Frenchy Martin to be honest, as at least his sign holding and beret was less offensive to my eyes than Bravo pounding his chest and doing that little jig like he was locked outside a shithouse after eating a 4 week old jalfrezi. He was bloated, the most stiffly moving wrestler ever, and would occasionally wear the most migrane inducing lime green trunks. It's just a shame he didn't find out smoking kills a few years earlier so we'd have all been spared those titanic tussles with a similarly roided Don Muraco, the big Tugboat, and in the biggest battle of all, not being shit. He didn't job in any of them.

*that round of applause gif*

• Paid Members

Obvious that he was Pat Patterson's boyfriend or something. No other logical reason explains the push.

If he was still alive, you'd probably still be seeing him getting involved pulling people apart in brawls and maybe hitting the odd side suplex.

• Paid Members

I loved Eugene and still think they had so much mileage in the character and story, still think he had a heel turn and run in him too that would have been fun. 

I don't know how that works. You either encourage the audience to boo the mentally challenged character (err... no) or you turn him with the big reveal that he was only pretending to be retarded the whole time. And that draws outrage from mental health awareness organizations, I imagine. "Don't be stupid, a person with learning difficulties can't become a pro wrestler, he was pretending the whole time" would have been the Chuck & Billy backlash all over again.

• Moderators

Not to mention he'd been lying to his Uncle about it the whole time which would mean his family had and everyone he knew had and it's all so stupid it hurts my brain working it out.

"I've been pretending to be mentally disadvantaged since birth in the hop that one day my Uncle will become a bigwig in wrestling, ha ve to employ me because, well, he's my uncle, and my whole family other than him would be in cahoots (/Vince) with this without telling him or saying "that's fucking sick Eugene". Actually, they'd have to telepathically know my plan, as I wouldn't be able to tel them in my formative years. Then I'll turn heel and team up with Rob Conway like in OVW and we'd have a period of success only seen prior for us on EWR"

Bischoff could have been in on it, no? Ah, like it matters. It was an ill-thought gimmick that was never going to amount to anything good. I guess it could have been ok as a lower mid card act, but not when he's interfering in PPV main events. This was around the period they officially went bat shit insane in the worst way possible and turned me off the product for like 3 years.

• Moderators

Then why would Bischoff have been such a bastard and tried to get him killed every week when he started?

"If you're going to pretend to be a Joey Deacon, then I'm going to get Evolution to kill you, but still keep up the pretense you're a bit slow"

No logic there. It's like when PTDub was booking Dan Edge as a heel.

The only reasonable outcome to Eugene was that he wins World Title/Royal Rumble, to show that No Matter What U Can Achieve Anything U Put Ur Mind To :-)

• Paid Members

The nearest they could've ever got to turning Eugene heel, they kind of already did for a couple of weeks, having him duped and led on by Triple H, siding with the heels. He did get boos, but they were pretty half-hearted.

Archived