Overdone Pushes That Annoyed You

Liam O'Rourke

John Cena! He was pushed down our throats so much at the beginning of his face turn and the cool heel that got over all by himself had suddenly become a poopy writing corporate kiss ass. Yeah his merch sales were always good and his popularity to a certain part of the audience has always been strong, but it did reach the point for a quite a long time that in the terms of his match quality that he seemed out of his depth and boos & Cena Sucks chants suddenly became a hell of a lot louder than the cheers. I have no idea how they had the bottle to keep him face all through that.

Credit to both Cena and the WWE for turning it around as he is undoubtedly a massive draw and future Hogan level legend which is a mixture of Cena's determination and pure WWE's stubborn attitude.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yokozuna is someone I would mention. From his October 1992 to Mania 9, I thought he was really well booked, he moved fairly well for a big guy when he wasn't the size of a house. After Mania 9, I thought Yoko (You can probably thank Hogan as well) who they were trying to book as a monster still, was hurt badly, especially the way he won the title back at KOTR. He was going up weight sizes, his matches became impossible to watch considering it was mostly nerve pinches, count outs and dq's. The point I'm making is for Yoko's first 5 months of his career, he was great, but he became insufferable to watch and I found him to be over pushed during 93/94 because he became very lazy.

Ryback I didn't get since he went from routinely squashing local jobbers for months to straight into the WWE Title picture. One of those cases where the guy could've done with a U.S./IC Title run first to build him up.

Because he got massively over and was fresh as fuck, with how he was booked from Hell In A Cell '12 to now it's easy to forget there was a great chance for them to pull the trigger on a new genuine headliner

Most WWE pushes have annoyed me over the years, but the two that really stick out are Brodus Clay when he debuted as the Funkasaurus and Vladimir Kozlov...

Clay was essentially a comedy character, got clean wins over guys like Miz and Ziggler, who as former world champs at that point in the not-too-distant past should not have been losing to him. He then got KO-ed by the Big Show, and that was the end of that. At the time, Ryback had the unbeaten streak on Raw, and I always thought it could have made a really decent unbeaten streak vs unbeaten streak betwixt Clay and Ryback at Summerslam, but him being KO-ed by Show utterly ruined that.

Kozlov - I just couldn't ever take him seriously. HIs facial expressions were hilarious, he was supposed to be some kickboxing hardcase that clearly wasn't... and then got a clean win over the Undertaker on Smackdown. For a guy who was just awful he was pushed way beyond what he should have been.

Crimson's TNA Undefeated Streak was very bad and went on for far too long

Baron Corbin in NXT has been very poor. He may actually be my least favourite wrestler, ever. I just see no good qualities in him. He just reminds me of someone from a local village who plays guitar for a band who plays Avenged Sevenfold covers. Absolute shit arse

• Paid Members

Ryback I didn't get since he went from routinely squashing local jobbers for months to straight into the WWE Title picture. One of those cases where the guy could've done with a U.S./IC Title run first to build him up.

Wasn't it because Cena got injured and they didn't have anyone else to put in with Punk in the main event so they just chucked Ryback in there? I know Punk suggested they use Kofi instead and they rightly told him to fuck off.

• Paid Members

Wasn't it because Cena got injured and they didn't have anyone else to put in with Punk in the main event so they just chucked Ryback in there? I know Punk suggested they use Kofi instead and they rightly told him to fuck off.

Dunno about rightly. I know Punk's motivation would have been questionable but it would have been much better for Ryback and for WWE if they had. Kofi would have been OK in the spot. He's the sort of guy who if you build a bit of interest in him, you'll get a credible big match out of him. He would have been perfect choice to put Punk over and let Ryback continue to build up steam. Still a massive shame that push ended.

Austin when he came back in 2000. Hated it. I know that he had to return with a vengeance and kill whoever ran him over, but he ended up interfering in everything and Stunnering everyone. Specifically, I think it was the month or two between his return and the HHH reveal. The landscape of the WWF had completely changed in his absense, and he seemed completely out of place. I was a huge Rock fan and Austin returning and regaining the number one babyface spot that Rock had held over the previous eight months really got on my tits.

• Paid Members

Del Rio, after he lost his big title match to Edge at Wrestlemania, was always positioned higher on the card than he deserved. No idea why Del Rio didn't work - good gimmick, great production and Del Rio looks like Cristano Ronaldo's older brother - but he was always a bit of a bore after that 'Mania. He was good for a week when they turned him face, but it all went back to boreville soon after.

I think Punk was planning on working with Kofi at TLC that year even before Cena's injury. Once Cena got hurt, the best bet for Hell in a Cell would've been a six-man. Punk, Ryback, Kofi, Orton, Del Rio, and probably Miz. Or have Bryan and Kane in there. It would've been a big sellable match, and it wouldn't have necessitated pinning Ryback to keep the Punk-Rock plans going steady.

• Paid Members

I'm going to weigh in on the Backlund debate ; I didn't know fuck all about anything he'd done prior to his comeback and saw him as a boring old bloke who was giving it one more go, but I loved his heel turn. His maniacal ranting and unpredictable behaviour combined with his seemingly-inescapable Cross-Face Chicken Wing made him seem genuinely scary to me. I was pissing-myself scared for my hero, the Hitman, and his title run - with good cause, as it turns out - and I thought it was a fantastic reinvention of a guy that just a couple of months earlier had seemed a spent force. If anything, I was a little upset when Diesel beat him so easily because while I'd totally bought into Big D as the future during 1994, him lamping Mr Backlund so handily after Bob had brutalized Bret (seriously, I didn't think Bret was coming back), I thought it made Bret look vastly inferior to Diesel in comparison.

John Cena! He was pushed down our throats so much at the beginning of his face turn and the cool heel that got over all by himself had suddenly become a poopy writing corporate kiss ass.

I'm going to be contrary and say I actually think the problem with Cena, at the time, I felt was that they didn't strike while the iron was hot. Cena had gotten himself over during the course of 2003 by having believably competitive matches with the Undertaker and Kurt Angle on PPV and a series with Eddie Guerrero on SmackDown and ended the year mixing with Benoit and Lesnar. When John Boy won the United States title and proceeded to fuck about with complete losers for the next 12 months it felt like he was being held back and forced to "pay his dues" when the live crowds had already decided they were ready to accept him as a main eventer. The next twelve months that he spent killing time with guys that I already considered beneath him really dampened my ardour for him getting a go, and to be fair him winning the belt from JBL in comparison to the guys he'd been working in that second half of 2003 seemed like a huge anti-climax. I was never going to be "wowed" by someone becoming champ by beating Bradshaw, who at the time I considered utterly worthless as champion.

Yokozuna is someone I would mention. From his October 1992 to Mania 9, I thought he was really well booked, he moved fairly well for a big guy when he wasn't the size of a house.

God, yes. His annihilation of Virgil at Survivors 92 is up there with Sid and Lee Scott for "fuck me" factor. What a pasting that was.

Rey Mysterio. Was never world champ material, and who knows what would have happened had Eddie been alive.

I hated this, too. To be blunt, I was going through a massive "Randy Orton fanboy" phase since he had turned back heel and anything that was going to delay Randy getting the belt was going to piss me off anyway, but the whole "this is happening because Eddie died" thing left a real bitter taste in my mouth. The Rumble itself and the cheesy "You got me, Eddie" segment in particular, I hated. I even hated the backlash to Orton's "Eddie's in hell" line because I didn't consider the heel using Eddie's death to get heat any more offensive than his best mate using it to draw sympathy and getting a Road to WrestleMania out of it.

This might cause my to be accused of hypocrisy after my Backlund comments earlier, but I'll take it, considering it's the difference between watching as a 12 year old and as a 22 year old, but for me, my king of overdone pushes is the aforementioned JBL. Fuck me sideways. Watching back today, some of the promos and angles were absolutely hilarious, but I'm not prepared to pretend that at the time that I didn't hate it. I stopped watching SmackDown because I was so outraged at the overpushed Acolyte being positioned on top, and I felt my intelligence utterly insulted at the idea that he could have been such a loser for eight solid years, and jump from Acolyte to title contender in a month, then champion within another month. It was utterly ridiculous to me, and not just because I was anxious to see John Cena on top and he was wasting time with even bigger losers. It might not have been as bad if they'd actually managed to change my mind that Bradshaw was capable of being champion by beating anyone worth beating, but he took the belt from Eddie without pinning him, escaped a run with the Undertaker without pinning him - even by cheating, he was still not permitted to get a pin - and then he won a few multi-mans where other people did the work, or there were run-ins, or both.

He was a loser. I didn't believe for a second that he could beat anyone without a raft of mitigating circumstances, and he was champion. I know people like to say "he was a heel so you were supposed to hate him as champion" but at least with every other heel champion in recent memory, from Hitman to HBK to The Rock to Triple H to Angle to Brock Lesnar, whether it was cunning, skill, clever cheating or being an unstoppable brock brick shithouse, I believed in every one of them. JBL was just fucking lucky. The day he won the belt, I didn't think he deserved it, and right up until the day he lost it, I didn't think he deserved it. I'm familiar with "I can't wait to see this guy lose" heat, but JBL was pure "fuck his guy, I'm watching something else" heat for me. Doesn't help that his matches were still the same boring dross they'd always been. I probably would have appreciated the act if he'd have been Honkying his way through a midcard title run, but at the end of the day, the Honky Tonk Man was the Intercontinental champ, not top of the fucking food chain.

Butch will be along to tell me I'm wrong shortly.

EDIT - Oh, and Hardcore Holly going for the title at Rumble 2004. Don't get me wrong, the heroic comeback from injury to pursue the guy that hurt him who happens to now be champion is a great idea on paper. In practice, Hardcore was the dry run for the JBL "this guy's a fucking loser but we're going to suddenly pretend he's believable as half of a World title match, like really fucking all of a sudden." It was terrible.

Mark Henry has always been fairly mundane, causing huge amounts of disinterest from large portions of the crowd. He was signed to a TEN YEAR deal and was given ample opportunity to get in on the main event - including a match with Angle at Royal Rumble and later John Cena. Although he has had some relatively good outings he doesn't justify the space he takes up in the locker-room. 

The Great Khali similarly to Henry he was hired because he was a tall bastard but other than that had no talent whatsoever. Only when paired with other (more talented) performers or being involved in comedy duos did it work out okay for Khali but he was the shits. It would be like giving Gonzales the WWF title. 

Del Rio as someone else said but I can't tell why. I haven't seen many matches of his that I truly enjoyed and although he had a distinct character I just felt putting the title on him was a little too much. 

Kofi Kingston to a lesser degree just because I don't like him. He can wrestle but is hugely overrated and over pushed by the WWE. 

Archived