Today I learned...

SpursRiot2012

• Paid Members

Yeah - they tend to annoy me, because I can think of very few (if any) examples of any genuine etymology coming from acronyms, certainly dating back before the 20th century.

Same goes for Port Out, Starboard Home for Posh, or the awful pub bore "Fornicating Under Consent Of The King". 

Posted (edited)

OFILBTUWD* that my grandfather was in the same prisoner of war camp, Ruhleben, as George Hackenschmidt - thanks to @BomberPat's book.

Admitedly there were 5'000 people there so it's a very incidental connection but yeah had to share that fact somewhere

*On Friday I Learned But The UKFF Was Down

Edited by organizedkaos
TowLie - This is a Momenth (BMX edit)

• Paid Members

TIL that Kiefer Sutherland, David Duchovny, and Eric Cantona have released albums/EPs. (They've all been interviewed on the Sodajerker podcast.)

• Paid Members

Central Park in New York was originally designed based on the layout of King's Park, Birkenhead. 

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Jazzy G said:

Central Park in New York was originally designed based on the layout of King's Park, Birkenhead. 

And it was built by forcibly evicting the tenants of Seneca, a village comprised mostly of freed black slaves who'd escaped via the Underground Railroad.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Carbomb said:

TIL that Kiefer Sutherland, David Duchovny, and Eric Cantona have released albums/EPs. (They've all been interviewed on the Sodajerker podcast.)

Further examination of the Sodajerker back catalogue also reveals that so have Kevin Bacon (with his brother), Jeff Daniels, and Harry Shearer (which is a little less surprising, I suppose). 

On 6/21/2024 at 9:09 PM, MVP RULZ said:

That sounds like the myth that News is an acronym for "Notable events, weather and Sports"

Something that was made up after its invention to fit as an acronym

I believe this is known as a backronym.

On 6/21/2024 at 9:09 PM, Jesse said:

A thing I learnt off the back of this is that this kind of myth is known as a 'backronym' where the word exists already and later an acronym is invented for it.

So what is it?