WWE.Com's Top 50 Talkers in Wrestling History

Liam O'Rourke

For this weeks Squared Circle Gazette Radio we decided to dive in to WWE.Com's Top 50 Talkers in Wrestling History list that they put out a while ago, since it caught my eye as an interesting topic of discussion. So for those interested in promo discussion, below is the link as we talk about the rankings, who should be higher or lower, who shouldn't be on at all, and some of the names that were inexplicably left off. A pretty fun show, check it out and let me know what you think~!

http://squaredcirclegazette.podbean.com/mf/play/argj43/SCGRadio37-WWEComsTop50TalkersOfAllTime.mp3

And as a general discussion point, here was the list itself, what do you make of it?:

50. Scott Steiner
49. Joel Gertner
48. Jimmy Valiant
47. Zeb Colter
46. New Jack
45. The Grand Wizard of Wrestling
44. Brian Pillman
43. JBL
42. Thunderbolt Patterson
41. The Miz
40. Kevin Sullivan
39. William Regal
38. Tazz
37. Stephanie McMahon
36. Ernie Ladd
35. Kurt Angle
34. Bray Wyatt
33. Rick Rude
32. Gary Hart
31. Ultimate Warrior
30. Michael P.S. Hayes
29. Nick Bockwinkel
28. Raven
27. Jesse Ventura
26. Jerry Lawler
25. The Million Dollar Man
24. Terry Funk
23. Shawn Michaels
22. Harley Race
21. Edge
20. Captain Lou Albano
19. Triple H
18. Macho Man Randy Savage
17. Jim Cornette
16. CM Punk
15. Arn Anderson
14. Superstar Billy Graham
13. Mr. McMahon
12. John Cena
11. Jake Roberts
10. Chris Jericho
9. Hulk Hogan
8. Bobby The Brain Heenan
7. Mick Foley
6. Paul Heyman
5. Dusty Rhodes
4. Stone Cold Steve Austin
3. Roddy Piper
2. The Rock
1. Ric Flair

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

It looks pretty fair at first glance except I wouldn't put The Rock anywhere near that high,his promos never really did much for me despite his undeniable charisma. Would have him in the 20s and bump someone like Lawler forward. Lawler should be alot higher. 

You couldn't tell Joey Styles had a hand in this at all, could you?

My first thought before even looking at the list was that Raven would be on there thanks to Joey. These lists are all bullshit anyway, they're only really good when you see someone flying off the handle about so-and-so not making it higher.

And Scotty made it in so it's all good.

• Paid Members

I have no qualms whatsoever with most of the top 10 except I'd swap Jericho and Jake over. As amusing as Jericho was at his "Monday Jericho" peak, I never particularly rated his delivery as a babyface (his voice grates on me a little) and while he made me laugh I never had him down as a "talk you into the building" type and his monotonous "best in the world at what I do" period was a complete turn off. On the other hand, I found Jake the Snake utterly compelling every time the man opened his mouth and some his best promos rank around my favourites ever and routinely show up in the regular "favourite promo" threads that come around, so he's a clear Top 10 for me.

You couldn't tell Joey Styles had a hand in this at all, could you?

New Jack.

• Paid Members

My bellend should be in the top 4 if Jericho is ahead of Jake Roberts in a list of promo ability.

You can tell its a bunch of cunts round a table with Joey Styles holding a tablet in his hand with some of the names on there. Tazz, Joel Gertner, New Jack. I'm stunned JT Smith never showed up on the list because he said "mama mia" funny once when Heyman produced him at 4 in the morning.

Yeh, as mentioned on the show Jericho seemed like he could be all-time great, but was trying very hard to be a hot act that since about 2001 he maintained a rep as opposed to blowing anybody away, and his stuff from that time doesn't hold up well at all. 2008-09 Jericho I have a lot of time for as a talker though.

Lawler got absolutely jobbed.

Cena and Heyman should definitely be higher for me. They both have the rare ability to be put into creatively uninspiring scenarios and still deliver something absolutely fantastic to sell a match. But then I'm favouring them because the game moves on, as we saw when Cena and Rock went head to head. What might have been brilliant thirty years ago is passe now because it paved the way and spawned many imitators and was improved upon. Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair were great for their day, but you couldn't trust them with any meaningful mic time in the modern era. Obviously that's largely due to them being old and stupid, of course. So yeah, I'd place Cena and Heyman higher for being able to talk so well in a much more cynical, demanding era.

Archived