UFC 184: Rousey vs Zingano

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Ronda was probably up for the fight in Strikeforce but I don't think there was any real movement for the fight. The earliest I'm aware of there being serious play for the fight was for Ronda's UFC debut.

Probably. That would've also been around the time when the UFC wanted her to go to Invicta but the UFC would pay her and she'd have 'all the perks of being a UFC fighter'. So presumably she'd be eligible for bonuses and stuff. Tito advised her to decline the offer then she signed with Invicta anyway.

The whole thing was weird.

The thing with the 'Ronda is scared of Cyborg' mob is if you look at their fights, Ronda's beat the better opposition. It's not even up for debate. Who's Cyborg beat? She's beating her opponents in brutal fashion but she's in a weaker division. For all the criticism women's bantamweight gets for being shallow, women's featherweight is even thinner. That's not to say she's not a great fighter because I do really rate her. But she's in a division that is so shallow. Marloes Coenen is probably her best win, and Coenen should probably be at 135. Funnily enough, the fight that impressed me most was the Muay Thai fight she lost to Jorina Baars. She showed more of what she's about in that one fight than all her MMA fights combined IMO. Even in defeat her stock raised to me.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They actually talked about the Brock Lesnar situation on Radio Five this evening. They did a segment talking about the hot topics on social media and the Lesnar appearance is apparently one of them. It was only for a couple of minutes but they covered the fact that Lesnar’s WWE contract is due after Wrestlemania and they even talked about Lesnar having walked out at Raw, which shows at least some level of research was done, which is not often done for stories involving wrestling.

• Paid Members

well, i wasn't up for the card going in but as usual, it's always those cards that end up delivering. I thought top to bottom this was a great show (didnt see fight pass prelims)...all the winners on the undercard and the PPV card looked pretty spectacular, except for perhaps Holly Holm but she still showd promise, and it looks like they may rush her in with Rousey.

As for Zingano, it's just a monumental balls up on the gameplan. You can't give Ronda and inch cause she'll will fuck you up but Zingano basically committed suicide by running across the cage like that. Poor fucker.

I dunno if it was Rousey factor? but there were actors/celebrities all over the place last night too, star studded event!

• Paid Members

has there been any word on what was wrong with Josh Koscheck? the dabbing of the eye and all that kind stuff, he was doing some weird things during the fight, did he damage his oribital bone again?

I wasn't very impressed with Holly Holm.  Considering Raquel Pennington was meant to be cannon fodder for her and she only just scraped the win, it doesn't exactly skyrocket her into Ronda Rousey's radar, no matter how diplomatic Ronda was to Holly in her post-fight interview.  Had Rocky nailed a takedown in round 2 she would have taken the win.  Also, her punches don't seem to be very scary considering she's a multiple-time boxing champion.  She needs a lot of work to be perceived any kind of a threat.

In other news, Ronda is a beast and whoever suggested to Cat that she should go flying in at the start should be removed from her camp immediately.

I was very impressed with Holms, it was all business and i like that. No she never got a highlight reel knockout but that was clearly not what this fight was about for her, the approach was clearly go in there and show you belong here. On a humorous side note I loved it when Rogan said something like "Holms is giving us such a disciplined peformance" and with that boom she tries to hit her with a spining back kick :laugh:

As for Ronda, You know how in darts they have the thing where they hype Phil Taylor as the most dominant sportsperson in the world, well surely Ronda is a rival for that claim now? Like it's already been said in this thread you dont beat 3 people with a combined time of just over a minute by being 'lucky'. I just can't see how anybody can beat her now, if you were a trainer how would you train your girl? You wouldn't dare tell her to go ground because Ronda will grab that arm in an instant and if you stand and trade Ronda will find an opening and get the takedown, or worse just destroy you standing like she did with Mcmann.I think the only way Ronda is realisticly going to lose soon is somebody boxing her from the outside and just not engaging and stealing it on points. And even with that strategy I imagine after about 2 rounds Ronda will get bored and actively hunt her oppenent down. I feel bad for anybody who loses quick but you know what-she got the biggest pay cheque of her career and only her ego was bruised, she would have had worse days in her life.

• Paid Members

I think the only way Ronda is realisticly going to lose soon is somebody boxing her from the outside and just not engaging and stealing it on points

Which suits Holly Holm a treat.

I don't think Holm is ready but given the situation they are in i could see them going with it...and if Holm can execute a sound gameplan and stay on the outside, who knows?

I don't think you can realistically expect to execute a 5 round gameplan against Ronda which involves boxing from the outside.

She's a born and bred judoka, at the highest possible level. Her base skill set is closing distance, using footwork to get inside and throwing you on your arse.

At this point, I think the only type of person who might stand a chance would be some freak, 'female Demian Maia' type woman who won't panic if thrown on their arse, who can defend the arm and work from the bottom.

That person doesn't seem to exist yet, so fuck knows.

For what it's worth, I all think you're giving Rogan too much credit (that's not a dig, I like Rogan but don't think he has full autonomy over what he says). I think he'll have been briefed on what to say in the event that Ronda murdered another woman. They've probably decided that trying to sell more Rousey fights as equal battles against worthy challengers is like trying to sell sunglasses to the blind; you may as well market her as an unbeatable freak and 'what is she going to do next?'.

• Paid Members

Cyborg is a fucking moron. The ball is in her court and it has been for about two years. Either lose the weight or shut the fuck up. I honestly don't understand the intent of posting a photograph of herself weighing 175. All that proves to me is that she can't want that Ronda fight even half as much as she says she does. If she truly wanted the fight then she'd spend her time dieting, doing cardio and getting off the gas, rather than wasting time telling everyone how heavy she is.

If Cyborg proved she could make 135 then the UFC would book that fight in an instant. She's her own worst enemy.

• Paid Members

Meltzer summed up her scenario when talking to Helwani at the weekend when he said "If somebody was to pay you a million dollars to reach 135lbs, you would lose the weight". I get that it's not easy, but the ball is very much in her back garden with this one.

• Paid Members

Cyborg is a fucking moron. The ball is in her court and it has been for about two years. Either lose the weight or shut the fuck up. I honestly don't understand the intent of posting a photograph of herself weighing 175. All that proves to me is that she can't want that Ronda fight even half as much as she says she does. If she truly wanted the fight then she'd spend her time dieting, doing cardio and getting off the gas, rather than wasting time telling everyone how heavy she is.

If Cyborg proved she could make 135 then the UFC would book that fight in an instant. She's her own worst enemy.

I honestly see the argument on both sides Supremo. From Cyborg's perspective she may truly believe and has been advised by doctors that she can't make 135. Ronda has already fought at 145 before as well, and Cyborg has stated that she would be willing to make 140. The fact is, every nearly every single mma fan wants to see this fight and the title means nothing here. Ronda has also stated she would be willing to fight Gina Carano at 145 as well as she respects Carano.

As Mr Bollocks says above, its a $1m pay day and you would think she would just make the drop to that weight if she possibly could?

On Ronda's side, she doesn't want to provide any handouts to a drugs cheat and you can see her side to it as well.

When it comes down to it, if everyone wants this fight, my personal opinion is the compromise of 140llbs at catchweight as with Ronda now clearing the division, there aren't any money fights left anyway.

• Paid Members

I don't think you can realistically expect to execute a 5 round gameplan against Ronda which involves boxing from the outside.

For what it's worth, I all think you're giving Rogan too much credit (that's not a dig, I like Rogan but don't think he has full autonomy over what he says). I think he'll have been briefed on what to say in the event that Ronda murdered another woman. They've probably decided that trying to sell more Rousey fights as equal battles against worthy challengers is like trying to sell sunglasses to the blind; you may as well market her as an unbeatable freak and 'what is she going to do next?'.

agreed, but given the challenges left available i think Holm's as credible as anyone.

As for Rogan's comments, I think Rogan goes into business for himself during some of his speeches, i don't think it works like in the WWE where's he constantly being fed things to say, he may get certain pointers but i think a lot of time he's just rolling shit off the top of his head.

It's no bad thing to promote Rousey as a female killer who just destroys people, it's not harming her at at the moment. The Mike Tyson comparison sums it up, Tyson became the biggest draw in boxing simply by destroying people in what looked like mismatches, I think the same thing works for Rousey, its not that she's just winning, she's destroying people. If they promote Holm/Rousey as the Boxing Champion vs. MMA Champion it works for me. The die-hards may see through it and feel it's a mismatch, but i think it works.

Cyborg's too stubborn. She keeps suggesting that Rousey come up to 145, or they have a 140 catchweight. Dana White is wrong about a lot of things, but he's right in saying that the champ does not chase challengers. Cyborg needs to put in the 90% for Rousey to move forward 10%, not 50/50, or completely folding to Cyborg's request.

Anyway, about the show... wow. The post-fight bonuses told the story- maybe no one great fight, but there was a litany of standout individual performances. Was thoroughly entertained through the whole show.

Rousey is incredible. Fastest finish in UFC title history. People rag about the quality of fighters at women's 135, but beating anyone that quickly is worthy of acclaim. Rogan kind of dissed the rest of the division in the post fight, but he was only stating facts, and I think I fell in love with Rousey and her giggling humility after steamrolling another victim.  Cat seemed to be so emotionally wrecked by it too, not just in a "ah shit, I lost" way, but genuine emotional upheaval. She's had a hell of a last 18 months, and for it to end in 14 seconds is just soul destroying.

Holly Holm was good, and Pennington fought valiantly. We didn't get a highlight reel, but we got a reasonably competitive fight, and I was impressed with Holm's hand speed and surprised with her TDD.

Might be a career for Koscheck? Long layoff and he seemed very tentative standing, and appeared to have issues with the eye that had the socket broken. At 38, after a long UFC career, he's done all he can. Sick submission by Ellenberger. A new wrinkle in his game, and a north south choke is rare. Even rarer is seeing someone froth at the mouth from a choke, disgusting stuff.

That's basically all the important shit. Except...

Lesnar-600x400.jpg

What a great, great man (not the bald guy).

Archived