UFC 184: Rousey vs Zingano

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Pretty badass Ronda quote;

"Before I could even talk, my dad convinced me I was gonna be the best in the world. It wasn't an idea that was given, it was a principle that was ingrained.

These girls already had lives when they decided to give being the best in the world a shot. My life was always about being the best in the world.

And there's no playing catchup with that shit."

Just watched the weigh in as well.

Was Ruan Potts always that jacked or should we expect a failed test after this event? I don't want to speculate but fuck it, I'm speculating anyway. I'm sure he was a bit of a porker wasn't he? He looks like someone pumped him up for this one.

Ellenberger looked like death weighing in and had to whip the pants off to make 171. Just makes me even more confident that Koscheck is going to beat him.

Similar with Carneiro and Munoz. I already fancied Carneiro to win. He's been around a while and has always been a bit underrated IMO. Now Munoz misses weight, which I don't ever recall him doing before and is rare for a wrestler of his calibre. It makes me think he might be carrying an injury. I like Carneiro, sub or points.

KID Yamamoto is still the man. To borrow a phrase from Shonie Carter - "cool as a cucumber on an iceberg in the Antarctic". He looked like a young Bruce Lee in the graphic they put up, then walked out looking like Master Onion off the old Parappa the Rapper game for the PS1. If Master Onion was plastered in Yakuza style body ink, that is. I hope he wins tonight.

And I've finally figured out who Raquel Pennington reminds me of...

Eddie+Munster.jpg

Raquel-Pennington_453512_left_stance_thu

She's Eddie Munster for life in my eyes now.

On a serious note, I finally got around to watching the Countdown, it really is excellent and just makes me wish they still did Primetime. This fight with Cat's backstory, both being unbeaten etc, it would've been brilliant.

I'm hoping they dust off Primetime for Aldo vs McGregor. But I'm guessing they won't. Shame.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well the main event was disappointing! Feel so sorry for Cat Zingano but what a mistake to make. I hope she can get herself another shot and give a better account of herself but she just seems a bit emotionally unstable which is perhaps understandable given what she's been through. I wanted to give her a big hug at the end there!

As for Ronda, absolutely unstoppable. They have to make the Cyborg fight. Holly Holm did alright on debut but on that showing Ronda will have her for breakfast.

UFC 184

Masio Fullen (145lbs, 9-4) vs. Alexander Torres (145.5lbs, 2-1) kicked the night off and they had a heck of a first round, both men fighting with reckless abandon and throwing haymakers and showing virtually no defence. The pace slowed in the second and third rounds but both fighters maintained the showing of minimal defence. Fullen edged Torres throughout the second and third rounds but still only managed to win via split decision.

James Krause (155lbs, 21-6) vs. Valmir Lazaro (155.5lbs, 12-3) was your typical solid, entertaining fight that you’re not likely to remember much about after the fact. Not that anything about it was bad; they both looked good, didn’t do anything that looked bad, and were generally all about going forward. It was a fight that you’ll enjoy once but never feel the need to watch again. Lazaro took the win via split decision.

Derrick Lewis (262lbs, 11-3, 1 NC) vs. Ruan Potts (253lbs, 8-3) opened up the main prelims on FS1 with a heavyweight bout. This was a fight that favoured and featured power over technique, with a lot of the former and very little of the latter on display. Lewis was able to look like a nasty power striker, which he usually does against a subpar opponent, and Potts is subpar to say the least. Lewis got the win via TKO in the second. This is Potts’ third loss in a row and probably means he’s not long for the UFC.

Dhiego Lima (170lbs, 10-2) vs. Tim Means (170ls, 22-6-1) saw Means rock Lima with a pair of standing elbows and then a knee to the body just over a minute in and Lima was reeling; Lima tried to hang in there and get his feet back under him, but he couldn’t get it done. Means was just too much and he overwhelmed Lima with elbows, knees and other strikes before dropping Lima again and getting the TKO win in 2:17. Means looked great and Lima seemed totally overwhelmed.

It was announced that the CSAC will be doing urine and blood testing of EVERY fighter on the card, at their own expense, apparently wanting to take the lead on such testing. Depending on if any fighters had advanced warning about this, and how much warning they had, things could get very interesting when the results come in. I really hope they catch someone with these tests, simply because it well be a shot across the bows of the cheaters and let them know that the war really is on.

We got a preview of the next season of The Ultimate Fighter, with the team vs. team format, pitting American Top Team against Blackzillians. It definitely got me interested, though I’m not sure about focusing so much on how the non-fighter heads of the camps hate each other. Yed, it’ll make for great TV, but they won’t be fighting each other, so you’ll never get the big payoff to watching such rivalry develop.

Roman Salazar (135lbs, 9-3) vs. Norifumi Yamamoto (136lbs, 18-6, 1 NC) saw ‘Kid’ Yamamoto make his return to action after three years out of action. This was a decent fight, Yamamoto looking good, but it had an unfortunate ending with Salazar getting poked in the eye in the second round and ultimately being unable to see and thus the fight was ruled a no-contest. We should get a rematch and not just because of the ending but because it looked competitive whilst it lasted.

Roan Carneiro (184.5lbs, 19-9) vs. Mark Munoz (186lbs, 13-5) saw Munoz making his return to action after a lengthy absence, taking on Roan Carneiro whose last outing saw him win three fights in one night to win a tournament that saw commentary done by Jim Ross and Chael Sonnen. Carneiro walked right through Munoz like he wasn’t even there, taking Munoz down almost right away, getting his back and then choking him unconscious in just 1:40. There was some criticism of the referee here, justifiably so, because Munoz was out for several seconds before the fight was stopped and everyone wondered why the referee, who was inches away, couldn’t tell Munoz was out, when everyone else in the building could. Not sure what Munoz can do from here apart from call it a day. Carneiro should get a top 15 name next.

Tony Ferguson (156lbs, 17-3) vs. Gleison Tibau (155lbs, 33-10) opened up the PPV. This was another short and entertaining fight; Ferguson dropped Tibau about a minute and a half in and after he got back up, Tibau started swinging and in the exchange that followed, Ferguson clipped Tibau and had him in trouble. Tibau went after Ferguson to take him down but Ferguson was ready for it, catching him in a front facelock; Ferguson then transitioned into taking Tibau’s back and Ferguson grabbed a rear naked choke and Tibau tapped. Ferguson got perhaps his biggest win here tonight and he’ll definitely be getting a bigger name next after what is his fifth win in a row.

Alan Jouban (170.5lbs, 10-3) vs. Richard Walsh (171lbs, 8-3)  was a fight that, from a name value standpoint, looked very out of place on a PPV. Quality wise, though, it ended up holding its own and was very watchable. Walsh was looking the slightly better of the two until Jouban nailed him with an elbow in the clinch and Walsh was rocked and a series of punches dropped Walsh against the cage and even though he was still upright, just, the referee stepped in and stopped the fight and Jouban picked up the first-round win.

Jake Ellenberger (171lbs, 29-9) vs. Josh Koscheck (170.5lbs, 17-8) saw two veteran fighters face off in what may be an unofficial ‘loser leaves town’ match with both men on big losing streaks. The fight sucked; right until the end, it was either Koscheck pressing Ellenberger against the cage or a lot of punches with little actual engagement. The finish came late in the second with Koscheck pressing Ellenberger against the cage and Ellenberger countered with a modified guillotine choke. Koscheck fought as best he could but ended up tapping, and he had to tap a lot because the referee, the same one from the Munoz fight, couldn’t tell Koscheck was tapping. The replays showed Koscheck was literally foaming at the mouth because of the choke. The only positive to come out of this fight was Ellenberger breaking his losing streak. Everything else about it sucked.

Holly Holm (135.5lbs, 7-0) vs. Raquel Pennington (135.5lbs, 5-0) was the co-main event with Holm in line to face Rousey if she wins here though she’ll likely have to get a second win before facing finally Rousey. Holm took the split decision win with a solid, workmanlike performance, showing good footwork and movement, nice technique with her punches and kicks, and outworking Pennington for virtually the entire fight. And therein lay the big weakness about this fight because whilst Holm looked good in her debut, there was nothing about it that grabbed you and made you want to see her face Rousey. Sure, it seems like it would be an interesting fight but interesting fights aren’t what make for big main events. Holm looked polished and very good with her technique but she needs more of a standout performance to make the potential fight Rousey feel, and that’s the key word, like it’s a fight that has to happen. Off topic but maybe someone more technically inclined can explain why Holm’s pink outfit looked decidedly orange when we saw the highlights from the overhead camera. I’m not even going to start on the absurdity of Pennington getting two rounds on one of the scorecards.

Things that make you wonder; Brock Lesnar was shown at ringside. Brock does not like to travel so it’s safe to say he’s in California to work on something. The only question is what, or who, is being worked on.

Things that make you retch; Mickey Rourke was shown at ringside. Did you ever the original Robocop, right near the end when Emil Antonowsky was swamped by toxic waste and ended up looking horribly disfigured with a melted face? I got flashbacks of that scene.

Ronda Rousey ©(135lbs, 10-0) vs. Cat Zingano (134.5lbs, 9-0) was the main event of the evening with Rousey defending her title against her latest ‘toughest challenger to date’. I stated ahead of time that I was picking the upset. I couldn’t tell you why but I just had a feeling we’d be getting the upset. Boy did I fuck up on that; Zingano rushed Rousey right away and ended up trying to take her down but Rousey flipped across the back of Zingano, kept hold of her, trapped the arm and managed to snag the armbar from the side and Zingano tapped in just 14-seconds. Holy crap. Rousey actually improved on her 16-second loss. Who saw that coming?

Wow. That’s all you can say.

• Paid Members

What can be said or typed that will do Rousey justice? Rogan tried - and inturn did a great job killing the rest of the division. Has there ever been a fighter in UFC history that has been so above their competition for so long? As I typed earlier in the thread, only Ronda Rousey will be the one to derail her dominance, for the foreseeable future. If she still wants it she'll take it and have your arm while she's at it.

Only a heartless type would not feel a bit rubbish for Zingano. All the struggle for such a humbling defeat. If there is one thing Zingano has going for her it's that she's come back stronger from much tougher battles than a quick loss.

The other highlight was that nightmarish slo-mo of the choke on Koscheck. I'm sure GSP takes some pride in the fact that we're several years down the road and Koscheck is still haunted by the pounding that eye took.

Things that make you wonder; Brock Lesnar was shown at ringside. Brock does not like to travel so it’s safe to say he’s in California to work on something. The only question is what, or who, is being worked on.

It's Lesnar being clever again. Lesnar stormed out of the building over something to do with the new contract WWE were offering. Meltzer is saying Lesnar was sitting right next to Dana and Lorenzo all night. I'm sure word has got back to WWE.

It's Lesnar being clever again. Lesnar stormed out of the building over something to do with the new contract WWE were offering. Meltzer is saying Lesnar was sitting right next to Dana and Lorenzo all night. I'm sure word has got back to WWE.

It obviously is Lesnar playing the game, and doing so expertly yet again, but I would not be surprised to find out that Lesnar, at least right now, is in the mood to negotiate with the genuine intent to move. I still think the odds favour him staying with WWE, but he’s not a happy camper with WWE right now, and that changes things.

• Paid Members

Ronda Rousey is the shit. Like I said before, a female Goldberg. It's going to take Scott Hall interfering with a taser to stop her.

14 bastard seconds. To beat Cat Zingano who was unbeaten coming in and known for her toughness and ability to bounce back in fights. 14 seconds is just ridiculous. Think about it this way: she's beat Cat Zingano, Alexis Davis and Sara McMann in a combined time of about how long it takes to make a Pot Noodle! I mean, what the fuck? That's two undefeated fighters, an Olympic silver medalist and a BJJ black-belt we're talking about. A Pot Noodle.

Her instinct with armbars is just scary. If you wind up on the floor and she's anywhere near your arm, you're pretty much brown bread. She just automatically locks that shit in instantly, she's done it for so many years she doesn't even have to think, it's just there. It's like it's as natural to her as a fish swimming or a politician lying.

In a way it was disappointing. I really hoped this would be the first 'war' of Ronda's career but she's just proved once again how much further ahead she is than the rest of the division. And she's doing it in such decisive fashion and so quick that how do you even sell Rousey vs Zingano 2, Rousey vs McMann 2 or Rousey vs Davis 2. The old 'Cat just got caught' thing is all well and good but when every contender keeps 'just getting caught' it's clearly not a case of just bad luck. They're not all just 'getting caught', Ronda is catching them time and time again. There's no accident. Cat would've gotten away with that wild takedown against anyone else in the division and most likely wouldn't have even got reversed let alone armbarred. Ronda's just a different breed.

Seemed like Rogan was pushing for Rousey vs Tate 3 at the end there. It's not ideal with Ronda already being 2-0 but what can you do? Still, I think Bethe Correia should be next. Maybe even do that fight in Brazil or something. Correia's earned it and there's some backstory there with the Horsewoman thing. I think if Holm had won more impressively last night she'd probably have jumped the queue but she needs a couple more fights IMO.

Rest of the card was really good, I thought. The only fights that kind of let it down were Holm vs Pennington (and even that picked up towards the end) and Ellenberger vs Koscheck (but the finish was great). I really enjoyed everything else.

Roan Carneiro looked fantastic. That's how you make a return to the big show. Munoz seems done to me. I can see them giving him one more fight on that Edgar vs Faber Philippines show and that'll be it for him.

Tony Ferguson made a big statement with that win. You don't just walk through Tibau in a round like that. Ferguson's one of those fighters I really dislike but I love how he fights. He should get a top guy after this. I'd love to see him vs Cerrone down the line sometime.

KID was looking pretty good. Especially considering the three year layoff and his age and injuries. Shame how it ended. Probably should just book the rematch. I still feel bad for Francisco Rivera getting fucked over and not getting his rematch with Faber. He was winning that fight before the eyepoke and having his career best performance.

Really fun card, all in all. The Jouban finish was great as well. Lewis vs Potts was entertaining for what it was. Good stuff.

The best part about Rousey winning like this, time and time again, is watching the people who hate her tie themselves in knots in trying to rationalize and justify their belief that Rousey isn’t as good as people think she is, isn’t as big as people think she is. Rousey is on another level. End of. Anybody trying to spin this as anything else are delusional.

It's why Conor must continue to win. Watching people try and explain why he won wasn't down to him being a great fighter is brilliant stuff.

It is fascinating watching people try so hard to explain away reality. Sad, but fascinating as a study of how people work so hard to avoid having to admit they were wrong and their beliefs were wrong.

• Paid Members

It's why Conor must continue to win. Watching people try and explain why he won wasn't down to him being a great fighter is brilliant stuff.

Conor wasn't even fighting last night and he still managed to impress. Check out how quickly he manages to slip out of the way of Zingano's hat! Reflexes even Anderson Silva would be jealous of.

• Paid Members

That's people letting their dislike of a fighter's personality cloud their ability to give objective opinions about the fighter's skills. It's so silly. It'd be like me trying to act like Floyd Mayweather isn't really that good, just because I think he's a cunt. One thing has no relation to the other. You can be a complete twat but still be massively talented at your job. A lot of MMA fans don't seem to be able, or are just too stubborn, to be able to separate the two.

I don't want Rousey or McGregor to ever lose. A) because they're both awesome and B) because it pisses off the haters.

Edit -

:laugh:

Supremo beat me to it with that video.

Good job McGregor has those ninja-like reflexes. She could've taken his eye out.

Archived