UFC 184: Rousey vs Zingano

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I thought Joe Rogan's call of the main event's finish was spectacular. Just saying, "oh my god," over and over again was pitch perfect and echoed exactly what I was thinking. Ronda is fucking incredible. I completely bought into the idea of Cat being a genuine threat, and yet not only did Ronda beat her but she managed it faster than her last few ridiculously quick finishes! She's untouchable.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

What can be said or typed that will do Rousey justice? Rogan tried - and inturn did a great job killing the rest of the division. Has there ever been a fighter in UFC history that has been so above their competition for so long? As I typed earlier in the thread, only Ronda Rousey will be the one to derail her dominance, for the foreseeable future. If she still wants it she'll take it and have your arm while she's at it.

That annoyed me from Rogan. Luckily Ronda had the sense to build up two potential challengers. Don't see either of them having a chance at becoming champ though, until Ronda leaves the game for Hollywood full time.

• Paid Members

That Helwani interview reminds me, we haven't even really touched on the stats.

-With this win, Ronda has broken the record for the fastest win in a UFC title fight. Arlovski's 15 second KO of Paul Buentello held the record previously. This beat it by a second.

And now watching that Helwani video;

-Fastest submission in modern UFC history. Whatever 'modern UFC' means.

-First ever UFC title fight win to end without a single strike landed.

Amazing.

Has she still not hit the 25 minute mark yet for all her combined MMA fights?

• Paid Members

I'd imagine "modern UFC" history means either after Zuffa bought it, or perhaps after the unified rules of MMA took effect. In reality it just means "Frank Shamrock? Nah mate, never heard of him."

Given the complete lack of challengers, I'd be tempted to at least think about doing Rousey-Cyborg non-title at 145 and if Cyborg wins, she gets a title shot if she cuts to 135.

• Paid Members

Rousey vs Cyborg needs to happen at some point.

I just wish Cyborg could make 135. That's what's fucking this up. The steroid failure isn't a real roadblock at all. Belfort was announced as having a title shot at his commission hearing for failing a fucking test!. If the NSAC can make money off a fight (and you have to think they'd do alright off a Rousey vs Cyborg fight), they'll bend every law and rule to make it happen.

It's the weight that cocks it up. The UFC don't want Cyborg potentially coming in and beating Ronda if she can't make 135. Then she fucks off back to 145 in Invicta and Ronda's been beaten by someone the UFC can't even promote. The Ronda haters like to say the UFC are ducking Cyborg to protect Ronda but I don't think it's about that. Cyborg has a style that any MMA promoter would love. She's a killer striker in a division that lacks them. I'm sure Dana would love to add her to the division. Then he's got two stars at 135, and a huge grudge match between them.

If Cyborg was a 135er and was making the weight with no issue, I have no doubt she'd be in the UFC now. I'm sure Dana wouldn't be pleased if she smashed Ronda but he could still work with that. Promoting Cyborg as a monster and maybe getting a big rematch out of it. But if Cyborg can't make weight, and she beat Ronda at a catchweight, they can't even take advantage of Cyborg's win because she can't fight in the 135 division. There's nothing they could do with her.

My personal thinking is Ronda would beat Cyborg anyway. A couple of years ago I wouldn't have thought so, but she's just so dialled in now and improving constantly that I think she'd beat Cyborg. But I can see why the UFC brass don't think it's worth the risk.

Sadly it seems like if Cyborg can't make 135, this fight won't happen. Cyborg recently abandoning plans to cut down makes me sceptical we'll ever see it.

I'd imagine "modern UFC" history means either after Zuffa bought it, or perhaps after the unified rules of MMA took effect. In reality it just means "Frank Shamrock? Nah mate, never heard of him."

Yeah, when there was talk it was the quickest title fight in UFC history I thought that record belonged to Shamrock after his win over Kevin Jackson? I just assumed then as it was Frankie, it's just been wiped from Dana's memory.

• Paid Members

Even if they did include Frank Shamrock vs Kevin Jackson, Rousey beat that record last night anyway.

Shamrock vs Jackson was 16 seconds (Rousey vs Davis tied with this).

Arlovski vs Buentello was 15 seconds.

Rousey vs Zingano was 14 seconds.

Just read that someone in Cyborg's camp says her contract is actually with Zuffa. So if they can agree on weight, it'll be piss easy to make the fight.

I really hated both of Rogan's post fight interviews in the main event. Disparaging all potential fresh challengers for Rousey, while she's hyping fights up.

Worst of all, asking completely asinine questions and repeatedly pointing out her failures to a clearly dejected and emotional Zingano. Absolute fucking dickhead.

• Paid Members

I've gradually become a big fan of Rousey. What is there not to appreciate about her? Despite the shortness of her matches, she's still an exciting fighter who finishes all her opponents and leaves us wondering not who will beat her, but who will last longest. If it wasn't for the nascent state of women's MMA and the comparative shallowness of competition, I'd say Rousey could be on course to become the GOAT if she keeps destroying opponents like this. I'm a little surprised she's not doing a Cerrone and going for as many matches as possible to build up a monolithic record, but she has the luxury, which I'm sure no-one would begrudge.

I'm starting to wonder if they shouldn't just make her an exception and stick her in the men's 135. How would Rousey vs. Barao or Dillashaw play out, d'you reckon?

I've gradually become a big fan of Rousey. What is there not to appreciate about her? Despite the shortness of her matches, she's still an exciting fighter who finishes all her opponents and leaves us wondering not who will beat her, but who will last longest. If it wasn't for the nascent state of women's MMA and the comparative shallowness of competition, I'd say Rousey could be on course to become the GOAT if she keeps destroying opponents like this. I'm a little surprised she's not doing a Cerrone and going for as many matches as possible to build up a monolithic record, but she has the luxury, which I'm sure no-one would begrudge.

I'm starting to wonder if they shouldn't just make her an exception and stick her in the men's 135. How would Rousey vs. Barao or Dillashaw play out, d'you reckon?

Ronda would probably lose. No commission would allow the fight(s) to go ahead anyway though.

Rousey/Cyborg will happen if Cyborg can prove she can make 135lbs. That's the only thing in the way. One of the narratives the anti-Rousey brigade like to use is that Rousey/UFC are ducking Cyborg when the fact is that Cyborg was the first opponent they wanted for Rousey when she debuted in the UFC. She got offered the fight and turned it down, ostensibly because she didn't think she could make the weight, but she was offered the fight. As has been said, even Cyborg pissing hot isn't a factor. It's all on Cyborg making 135lbs. She can do it, but it's all down to whether she's willing to do what it takes. And given how heavy she was for her 'featherweight' title fight, her ability or willingness to get to 135lbs is not looking good.

If the fight never happens, there is nobody to blame but Cyborg. The ball is in her court.

• Paid Members

I could swear Ronda agreed or was at least up for the fight in Strikeforce at one point as well, but then Cyborg failed the drug test and got suspended. By the time her suspension was up Ronda was in the UFC. I think that's right anyway.

• Paid Members

Ronda would probably lose. No commission would allow the fight(s) to go ahead anyway though.

Nah, I know - was more out of whimsy than seriousness. Still, I do find myself speculating she'd probably be competitive with male flyweights or lower- to mid-level bantams.

Archived