UFC 184: Rousey vs Zingano

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

I just assumed a champion level pro boxer & kickboxer would be able to outclass an MMA fighter (with a 5-4 record) at striking. She moved around & tagged her, but did no damage. One judge even thought Holm lost the fight. And I gave Pennington the last round. So it wasn't even clearcut.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Tate has been Ronda's biggest test to date, managing to take her to the third round, when the three challengers that followed her couldn't even get past 90 seconds.

Plus, Tate's last performance against Sarah McMann was absolutely phenomenal, one of the best comebacks in ages.

One or two more wins and I'd love to see Ronda vs. Tate again. It'd probably do monster business too, considering how incredible their dynamic is. That footage of Ronda not shaking Miesha's hand after the last fight is probably worth 200,000 buys alone.

She may have went to the third, but did she actually look like she was going to win at any point?

I just don't see the attraction of seeing Ronda batter someone she's battered twice already, regardless of how much mean mugging and refusing to shake hands goes on.

• Paid Members

I just don't see the attraction of seeing Ronda batter someone she's battered twice already, regardless of how much mean mugging and refusing to shake hands goes on.

Somebody who endlessly harps on about how they arent interested in the women and refuses to watch their fights probaby isn't the target audience though.

Tate's run since losing to Ronda is not dissimilar to Chad Mendes' return to title contention. A few more wins and I'd have no problem with a rematch. Ronda is going to kill everyone anyway, so why not pair her up with her biggest rival, who's been on a tear since their last fight, and who just so happens to also have been her toughest contender to date. It's just a bonus that they reek of money whenever they share a screen.

Tate's run since losing to Ronda is not dissimilar to Chad Mendes' return to title contention. A few more wins and I'd have no problem with a rematch. Ronda is going to kill everyone anyway, so why not pair her up with her biggest rival, who's been on a tear since their last fight, and who just so happens to also have been her toughest contender to date. It's just a bonus that they reek of money whenever they share a screen.

I think it's very generous comparing Tate's run to Mendes'. Mendes was a decision machine who lost his title fight and then seemed to change completely as a fighter, knocking four of five opponents out and creating a completely new dynamic for the rematch with Aldo. Tate's been same old, same old. She got a nice win against McMann, but I don't remember being impressed by her other two decision wins. If she beat Zingano or someone I wouldn't argue with the logic of creating the fight just for the sake of it, but I don't think there's any reason for anyone to believe it would be any different.

If we're making Alpha Male comparisons, but I'd be more curious to see Tate playing the Urijah Faber role to Julianna Pena's TJ Dillashaw. God knows how things will work out for her on her comeback, but I like the idea of that narrative.

• Paid Members

There's no need for the cheap shots now, is there? I'm simply posting my opinion.

And people wonder why I had you on ignore.

You know I've stuck up in the past for you David, but in all honesty what Supremo has said isn't particularly bad and there is some validity to it.

That said, Supremo, comparing Mendes to Miesha Tate's situation is far off the mark in my opinion. In the first fight for Mendes vs Aldo Mendes was competitive and was on the end of the flash KO. On top of that, after Mendes lost, his camp brought in Bang Ludwig and the whole of the team started to reap benefits with their striking and Mendes starting going on a KO tear. He added striking to his already high class wrestling game.

With Tate, unfortunately I haven't seen any big developments in her game since the loss to Ronda and the two previous fights were completely one sided. Ronda dominated and outclassed Tate in every department in their fights.

However the fight still is bigger money earner than any other possible opponent not called Cyborg so with one more win we probably will see a 3rd Tate fight if Ronda decides she wants it.

• Paid Members

It was the McMann win that made me first compare Tate to Mendes. Before that I wasn't particularly enamoured, but that McMann win was super impressive; coming back like that and out-wrestling an Olympian was incredible. As I say, she's still a win or two away, but it's certainly not out of the question for her to get another shot.

Bethe Correia would be my choice for Ronda's next opponent. Undefeated, and an awesome backstory of her destroying the Four Horsewomen. In the meantime Tate can take on Zingano and then the winner of that can be next in line. Personally, given how the fight went and what bad luck she had, I wouldn't even have a problem with Cat getting a rematch after one or two wins. I think another fight between Zingano and Rousey would be very different, even if the result remains the same.

Plus, regarding comparisons to Chad Mendes' return to title contention; let's never forget that one of those wins was against Cody fucking McKenzie, in one of the biggest mis-matches of all time. That alone has always made it difficult for me to give Chad's run the credence some feel it deserves.

There's no need for the cheap shots now, is there? I'm simply posting my opinion.

And people wonder why I had you on ignore.

You know I've stuck up in the past for you David, but in all honesty what Supremo has said isn't particularly bad and there is some validity to it.

What, that the target audience isn't someone who says they aren't interested in female MMA and who doesn't watch it? If the idea isn't to grow the female side of things, draw in new fans and convert those who have reservations or who simply don't buy into female MMA at present, then what is? To continue appealing to people who already watch it? Where's the point in that?

I always assumed that the idea was to draw in fresh eyeballs, convince MMA fans that female MMA is worth watching, no?

As for what I said about Supremo, it was more aimed at him being a cunt, as he's prone to doing. After having him off ignore for a while it seems that all I was missing is him popping up now & then to wank himself silly over Connor McGregor's latest Instagram video or suchlike. 

• Paid Members

I always assumed that the idea was to draw in fresh eyeballs, convince MMA fans that female MMA is worth watching, no?

Of course the idea is to attract fans. And that's what they've done so far. Reports appear to be that Saturday's show, both headlined and co-headlined by women, did very good business, all things considered.

What I said was a completely valid point. You've mentioned over and over again that you skip the women's fights and have no interest in watching them. Even after all the regulars have talked at length about how they've been having some of the best fights of the year. That doesn't read like someone who wants to be convinced. It reads like someone who borderline feels like it's a badge of honour or something not to watch, that's how often you refer to it. It's proper weird.

The target audience, at the very least, are people willing to watch the women's fights, get involved and invested in the stories and characters, and then from there get excited for prospective fights for the future. Those of us who have watched have done just that. It's mental to talk about what they should or shouldn't be doing with a division you openly admit to not caring about or even watching.

To first play the victim when I made this totally relevant point, but then throw a tantrum and call me a cunt is typical though. Go ahead and put me on ignore again. It makes no difference to me. What would this be? The fifth or sixth time? Didn't you last try and pretend that the board upgrade took me off ignore? Crackers.

Nice one reminding me about my love for Conor though! I think Episode 5 of his documentary aired last night. I'll work on finding it online and if the usual peeps want it, feel free to PM me.

EDIT: Burt Watson has confirmed on Twitter that this show was his last and he's leaving UFC. Seems strange considering how passionate he always came across. He'll definitely be missed. Seemed a lovely bloke the few times I met him.

Bethe Correia would be my choice for Ronda's next opponent. Undefeated, and an awesome backstory of her destroying the Four Horsewomen. In the meantime Tate can take on Zingano and then the winner of that can be next in line. Personally, given how the fight went and what bad luck she had, I wouldn't even have a problem with Cat getting a rematch after one or two wins. I think another fight between Zingano and Rousey would be very different, even if the result remains the same.

That's basically what I'd like to see happen.

Archived